365 GTC/4 owners - the forum is fixed | FerrariChat

365 GTC/4 owners - the forum is fixed

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jefflit, Dec 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jefflit

jefflit Rookie

Dec 8, 2005
    The owners-only C4 forum is back to being functional again. It is now located at https://forum.365gtc4.com . Members of the old forum will need to re-register on the new forum.

Best,
    Jeff

2. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Jeff
    Thanks a lot for a decade of hard work with the website. Your help, knowledge, and friendship is much appreciated.
    Merry Christmas
    John

3. Bill--GTC/4

Bill--GTC/4 Rookie

May 25, 2011
    Jeff--Thanks from me, too. Over the years the C4 site has been invaluable; forum members have been unbelievably helpful and supportive.

Bill

4. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Appreciating that the C/4 Forum is Jeff's labor of love and applauding him for that effort, I'm wondering why full access is restricted to just owners of C/4s? I've been casually interested in the C/4 for a while as a possible replacement for my 365 GTC. It would be great to be able to participate in the forum to the full extent as owners can and occasionally share information that may not already be included in the forum. For example, the forum's Registry has almost no detail about the history of C/4 14477. I've just spent one month digging into it for a possible purchase and have quite a lot of information, including photos of its conversation to a spider. I would be happy to post that in the forum, but don't think I can as a guest and not a registered user. Jeff has allowed guests access to many parts of the forum, and for that I thank him.

5. jefflit

jefflit Rookie

Dec 8, 2005
    Hi Cobraowner, we've discussed the owners only policy a few times in the past. The c4 forum is actually the natural progression of a private email distribution list and then the c4 majordomo listserv mailing list from the early 90s. The consensus has always been that there are other places (such as this forum) where everyone can participate and the owners want to keep the model-specific forum exclusive to encourage high quality content. Whether it does that or just discourages participation in general is open for debate and I wouldn't argue strongly one way or the other.

The truth is, the entire forum, with the exception of the registry and member profile details, is open to everyone (to read).

That said, now that I've got a more modern forum and more fine-grained control over users and channels, I might consider opening up posting to a channel for non-owner members. I can't open to guests -- I did that once and it was a spam fest. And I can't open the registry because there is too much private information in there.

But I'd love to add the information you have on 14477 to the registry if you're willing to share. You can pm me here or contact me through the c4 forum.

Thanks.

6. dromer

dromer Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good on you Jeff.

I look in on you guys from time to time. Now working on a 912 project.

Bishop - give me a little warning next time you are planning a trip to LA. Hopefully I will have something to show you.

7. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dave you have crossed over to the dark side!
    I might be there in early Feb for a few days. Going to see the Mullin museum but the trip is just talk at the moment. As soon as it is certain I will let you know. Good luck with the new project.

8. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Thanks for your additional comments about the C/4 Forum, Jeff. I totally understand the rationale for keeping parts of it private and potential users vetted. We have something similar, but on a smaller scale, for owners of original Cobras. I will get in touch by PM and will be happy to share what I learned about C/4 14477 (which just sold, BTW).

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    As an owner of a 365GT4 I check out the forum and occasionally wish I could either ask a question or give information. Thanks for your work, it's a great resource.

10. jefflit

jefflit Rookie

Dec 8, 2005
    I just made the executive decision to add a "non-owner" board to the forum. If you are interested in the model but not a current owner you can submit a registration request and gain the ability to post to the site via that board.

I hope this addresses the concern raised earlier and I thank any/everyone who helps the community.