Will Ferrari join the "recreation" trend - | FerrariChat

Will Ferrari join the "recreation" trend -

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by 330 4HL, Dec 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    Following on Jaguar's success with the E-type lightweight and XK-SS, I see that today Aston-Martin is joining in, producing a series of 25 "continuation" DB4 GTs. Cleverly, these new DB4 GTs can't be road registered, but a new race series is being proposed to run them in, thus generating extra business for the restoration shop!

This set me to wondering if Ferrari would ever join the "recreation" trend -
    As it stands, Ferrari certainly seem prepared to licence almost every conceivable product.
    Why not bring the total number of 250 GTOs to a nice even 50? They make most of the needed bits already. :)
    How about a few new P4s?

Which car would you want them to "continue"?

I look forward to hearing Mr. Massini's thoughts on this -

2. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I see also that Lister cars ltd. have announced the availability of continuation cars although it should be noted that this firm has nothing to do with Brian Lister and has a very "interesting" heritage. These will be priced at 295k UK pounds + VAT.

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Classiche is what they did, and that's where they'll stop. Admitted recreations damage the brand.

4. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    LMFAO
    Ferrari will not manufacture new GTO's except for the Classiche ones

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    If it's the money spinner that Aston and Jaguar think it is I would've have thought Ferrari would look at it at least. Those shareholders need to be kept happy.

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It is for Aston and Jaguar, not for Ferrari. In Ferrari's case it will almost certainly devalue the brand. Jaguar and Aston have been through all kinds of ownership and ordeals, their cars today lack the direct link to their past. Not so with Ferrari, which is why Classiche is to them what these recreations are to the other brands - a way to connect to their past.

7. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #7 Daytonafan, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Sticking the prancing horse logo on any bit of tat they can devalues the brand far more than building a few recreations of a 250 GTO, Testa Rossa or SWB. The owners of the original cars and the purists (including the likes of you and me) would no doubt get upset , but I reckon a far bigger number of people would be very happy to see a few more of these cars in the world running at events like Goodwood and Monterey?

Also (and I am joking here) imagine how long the Fchat thread would be if Ferrari built a recreation of 0846? ;)

8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #8 DeSoto, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    I don´t see the point from a business point of view. Why should they bother in building small series of old cars that don´t share anything with current models when they can make special series and one offs derived from already existing mass produced modern cars? And they´re already making money with the old cars through Classiche. If Jaguar and Aston Martin are building "continuations" it´s because they can´t sell a rebodied F12 for 10x the money of a standard F12 or 500 LaFerraris at 1 million each.

Personally I think that "continuation" series suck. Leave the past where it belongs: in the past. Dead, kaputt, finito, let it go.

9. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Interesting, I wonder how much people would pay for a continuation 250 GTO with only say 30-50 made?

10. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The engines are already reproduced as have bodies in the past, the frame is simple enough to make.

I believe you can already buy a non Factory toolroom copy 250 GTO for under a million pounds so the take up would not make economic sense.

Ferrari relies on its exclusivity to sell its modern cars for premium prices, watering down the historic ones would have a knock on effect to that current cash cow. Not worth the risk to them.

11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    You sir are just in time for comment of the year...

12. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Did they not recently build a 250LM from scratch for one of their drivers?

13. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012

?!

14. gated_shifter

gated_shifter Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2015
    Plano, TX
    why would they? they're all about exclusivity and 'set' production numbers on the rarer of their models. doing anything in a 'continuation' mode makes absolutely no sense (at least to me) for ferrari. plus, existing owners of previous models would lose their ****ing minds over lost value of their 'real' examples. can't blame them...

15. Vincent Vangool

Oct 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Maybe I am dreaming? But I seem to remember reading about, and also seeing a video of a recreation 250LM that was built for one of, I'm guessing, the F1 drivers?

I could be wrong, but I have a pretty clear memory of this video, where they had built an exact recreation of a 250LM for one of the drivers.

16. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I've heard reference to a 250LM being built for Massa's Father but no idea if it is true.

17. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    What they will do is perhaps Special Projects cars inspired by old cars. I would love a 488 Dino GTS.... Take an old 911... anyone can tell the current 911 is the"same" car. But it looks totally contemporary. Imagine a Dino GTS updated in the same way...

18. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Really?? Didn't know that!

19. Vincent Vangool

Oct 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    I am pretty sure I saw a video of the car being driven, but I could be mistaken?

20. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Wow, that's pretty ineresting. Anyone has a link?

21. Vincent Vangool

Oct 6, 2007
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    I have tried to search for it, but have come up with absolutely nothing. I could be mistaken but I could swear I remember reading about it on F chat and then watching a video of the actual car?

I will keep looking. Maybe someone else knows more.

22. zxttfan

zxttfan Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2009
    St. Louis
    So for a little different take on the same question: what are all of your thoughts on Ferrari building a recreation only for the historic cars that have been destroyed? IE: Ferrari would use the same chassis number of the car that was destroyed and indicate it is a replacement car.

23. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    They build new engines and mark the number with a classiche stamp at the end, so why not the same with a chassis number, its a homage to a lost car at the end of the day, built by the original constructor.

They would have had to be 100% certain the chassis was retained by them, cut into a million bits and crushed though, given the current claims for a certain number!

24. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    No no, people are getting things mixed up. The whole controversy is that Barrichello's manager, along wth a wealthy friend, owned a 250LM with a contested serial number, as there were two cars using the same one. I can't remember what it was off the top of my head, but if you search here for it you'll probably find something.

EDIT: Searched myself, the car is 5899

25. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

wow 5899 had quite the life! Or lives!