I thought There was a Unwritten Rule | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I thought There was a Unwritten Rule

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Texas Forever, Nov 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Thanks !!!!

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
  3. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    #28 JSinNOLA, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    You're right, things would be different if the monument issue weren't taking place... :rolleyes:

The growth and prosperity of the city hasn't looked this good in probably 75+ years. It is finally diversifying itself out of an oil/gas and service industry dependent economy. I talk daily with entrepreneurs both from here and who are transplants with pedigrees from Ivy League schools who would cogently disagree with your thoughts on the direction of the city.

The monuments issue is nothing more than a red herring and when one propagates that kind of narrative they themselves risk damaging the city.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're correct, but the city must do something about the crime problem other than ignore it. New Orleans is the closest we have to a European city/state. The wealthy and the mob bosses live extremely well. Everybody else not so good.

My wife and I are good friends with a couple who go back generations. (If you see her from the side, you start making the sign of the cross because man is she Sicilian. She just keeps her weight under control.) You know, the Garden District and all that. They were stunned at the underclass that came out of the woodwork after Katrina. They had no idea that many people lived in abject poverty. They knew there was a crime problem, but the Quarter and Jackson Square were off limits. Out of site, out of mind.

Las Vegas is probably a good comparison. Even though a significant part of the population is transit and works in the service industry, the powers that be figured out street crime on the Strip is not good for business. Like any Southwestern town, Las Vegas has a lot of gangbangers, but even they stay in their own hood for the most part. Moreover, back in the '90s, inexpensive housing, tech jobs, and low taxes started attracting regular people from LA. Today, Las Vegas is nothing like what it used to be. It has turned into an international Disney World for adults.

How can New Orleans cross this bridge? I dunno. My guess is you need a couple of billionaires to adopt the city and do what it takes to turn things around. This is what has happened, on a much smaller scale, in Pensacola. One guy has literally turned the city around. Whatever the answer, you can be sure it will NOT come from your politicians.

Good luck.

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Too bad things have gone so far down hill. When I lived there in the mid-to-late 70s, one could go most anywhere at any hour without fear of crime. Truly party city back then.

6. cscott

cscott Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Chris Scott
    I am with John, the business and development environment in NOLA is the best in generations. Education is improving. Corruption is down as well. Crime is a problem but the overall violent crime rate is statistically similar to other southern metro areas. I think the food is the best it's every been. There are still tons of old school places operating but lot's of new choices and types. I live in the heart of the city and raise my kids here and can tell you that real estate values tell the story of the progress the city has made despite some big hurdles.

Not arguing the FQ has (or has always been ?) become a bit of a dump with being mugged and shot just a part of the problem :)

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If you looking for models, compare Las Vegas to Atlantic City. One, Las Vegas, has crime under control (or at least out of the limelight). The other, Atlantic City, you take your life in your hands if you go outside. If New Orleans is going to grow, the crime has got to stop.

8. ahirsh

ahirsh Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Right, and that's how the discussion started. Sure New Orleans is on the right path as far as bringing in new and diverse business, but tourism is still the big money maker that helps other growth at this point. The perception of the city that a lot of non-locals have is that it's unsafe, and that's bad for business. My comment about the monuments was tongue in cheek, sort of, but to that point city leadership needs to focus on getting crime under control to fix the perception. Until that happens, we can discuss the merits of the economic climate all we want, but nobody else will care. I love the city and SE LA, that's why I live here. I am in the tech sector and I have more potential to grow my business if there are other businesses for me to support, so I'm all for things getting better. But the crime and the perception it creates are a real issue.

9. hhibbett

hhibbett Karting

Aug 24, 2008
    What about Bear's in Covington?

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I've never been.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Is Fat City still in existence? It was quite a place in the 1970s.

12. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Not like it used to be.

13. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Juan's Flying Burrito on Magazine St.

It's all good, but whatever you decide on, you'll want to thoroughly cover it in their chili lime vinaigrette.

Home - Juans Flying Burrito

14. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Domilise's in Uptown, on Annunciation . I'll likely be dead by divulging where the real New Orleanians eat but there it is. Quarter started going downhill when they stopped letting Morning Call use the big sugar bowls. ;-)

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. What about po-boys in Shreveport?

16. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    #41 Saabguy, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    There is a place in Bossier City (Across the bridge from Shreveport) called Kim's Seafood. He came up from N.O. about Katrina time. He makes real New Orleans Poboys. Only place in town that has them that taste right.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thx.

18. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I love NOLA and since Katrina, I find it to be better than ever in terms of arts. But I agree that crime is definitely a problem. If it weren't for the fact that the houses rarely come with garages and definitely not as many as I need and the crime, I would buy a house there. I settle for visiting.

As for places to stay, you can't go wrong with the Ritz. Absolute incredible service and all of their food is fantastic, so room service is on the menu. I always do club level, which is a great place to grab a snack and work when it's raining and you can't walk around. Close enough proximity to walk to plenty and Uber if you don't feel like it.

We always walk Bourbon street when we're there and make sure we take major streets with other tourists when walking back to our hotel. That's the key really. That and just being smart. We usually make a trip a year for me to do research as my thriller series is set there. We have a horse carriage guy that is a walking history and news channel for the entire city. We hire him for four hour clips and he takes us wherever we want to go. We've been through all the wards and seen everything, the good and the bad.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    About a couple of years ago, there was a robbery in one of the luxury hotels. From what I recall, the bad guys held up some people in a hallway. It really freaked everybody out because hotels were supposed to be really off limits. Maybe somebody here recalls more than I do.

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Fertitta's. They're of Sicilian descent. Muffaletta is very good.
    T

21. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #47 nathandarby67, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. ahirsh

ahirsh Karting

Oct 14, 2015
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Nathan,
    I saw this posted by a mutual Facebook "friend" of Todd and Katie before the news picked it up, I'm glad it's getting some more exposure. Really scary stuff and the fact that the NOPD seems unwilling or unable to do anything about the crime problem all over the city is disheartening to say the least.

I was leery about taking my family down to the city if we'd be there after dark, but now you can't drive past New Orleans in the middle of the day without being nervous. All while the mayor politics for higher office and panders to influential people within his party.

23. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    The NO mayor is too busy taking down monuments to pay attention to small things like soaring crime, two-foot-deep pot holes and a high percentage of street lights burned out. I love NOLA, but it is completely out-of-control from a crime perspective.

24. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

This is why I have never been to New Orleans. I have traveled all over the country, and probably to more dangerous areas but the stigma NOLA has is not good. With all the places I can (semi) safely go and spend my money why would I go to NOLA? You all can tell me I am wrong but I am sure I am not the only one that thinks this way.