Crosswind landings | FerrariChat

Crosswind landings

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LouB747, Dec 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I was in Narita the other day and decided to bike out to the airport and video a few arrivals. The wind was 90 degrees off the runway. It was relatively light, and then gust to 30 or so. Some interesting arrivals.

Enjoy,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DStxRf35tt8[/ame]

2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Great vid Lou.

3. wizzells

wizzells Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    Cool video. Love watching the heavies come in.

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Cool. Thanks for posting.

Mark

5. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Thanks guys. I know it's a bit long. I added the narration in editing, but tried to make it look like I said it while I was there. It was too loud to really do it any other way. Thanks for watching and taking the time to comment.

Lou

6. J.K.P

J.K.P Karting

May 11, 2009
    Southeast asia
    Full Name:
    J.K.P
    That was awesome Lou.
    Thanks for posting this.

That ANA Star Alliance T7 looked like a rough'ish landing ��

7. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Thanks. Yeah, ANA Star Alliance did look rough.

8. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That was great Lou. Thanks

9. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Cool.. thanks for making and sharing!

It's always interesting to see stuff happening at airports..

10. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Rookie

Mar 11, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Dewayne
    I thoroughly enjoyed that!! Great video. Thanks for sharing. BTW I think it's your video of a cockpit view crosswind landing that is making it's way around Facebook right now.

11. J.K.P

J.K.P Karting

May 11, 2009
    Southeast asia
    Full Name:
    J.K.P
    Actually I saw that video too.
    I think Lou posted that in the 747 thread (fantastic thread by the way).

Best
    Jens

12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Lou, to what extent or how long do computers fly the aircraft? Is the pilot directly in control at the time you are starting the video of each plane? Great video, thanks for posting!

13. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, the bumpy cockpit video is back. Not a problem now, as it doesn't really show the airline. It's here if you want to watch it.

Some funny comments on Imgur as well as FB.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24EAZQc1Xcc[/ame]

14. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Hard to say really. You can't tell when the autopilot is On or Off in the video. I believe most Boeing autopilots cannot autoland above 25 kts crosswind. There's no way I'd let the autopilot land in any crosswind about 10 knots...but that's just me. This day it was gusting to 30, so I'm assuming all were manual landings.

15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009

Hold the phone. Are you saying the autopilot can actually land a plane? I thought a pilot had to take control somewhere on approach? Like 500' AGL or something? No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    A lot of airplanes are fly-by-wire today, even the Boeings. So a lot of control movement you see isn't done directly. The above cockpit video is a 747-8. It really doesn't have any fly-by-wire tech. It actually has some, but there's no "wing leveling" or "constant G" going on. You have to hold back pressure in a turn. You have to keep the wings from rocking.

Guys were posting on various forums about how much I over controlled the airplane. That's easy to say watching the video. But unless you've flown the 747-8, you really don't have a clue about flying it. And this was probably the roughest approach I've had in 10 or more years. Take a look at the Singapore 777 (about 8:40 into the video) in the original video above and look at his elevator. It's up and down a lot too. It's just the 777 pilot probably isn't doing much of it himself. The fly-by-wire tech is taking care of it, even with the autopilot off. Kinda cool, but personally, I like to control the surfaces myself.

Part of what makes the 747 great is that it's still a pilots airplane. It takes awhile to get the feel of it, and some never truly do. But if you do, it's something special.

17. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    No, autolands happen quite often during low visibility. In fact if the visibility is too low, it's the only way to land.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    On a 767 I landed in at PHL in a crosswind, I was sitting at a window seat behind the left wing. On final approach, the inboard aileron was flapping up and down like crazy as the pilot fought (successfully) to keep the wings more-or-less level. I could actually see the runway we were about to land on (27R) until we were just about over the threshold.

19. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That's been going on for a long time...

I think the Lockheed L-1011 Tri-jet was the first to be certified in the 1970's to do full blind (zero visibility) autopilot landings.
    And it had an inertial navigation system.

Great aircraft, the DC-10 was just a large DC-8 (1950's technology, but it was cheap).

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Lou, I can't open that video due to" Adobe Flash out of date" message.I haven't been able to get anything to work to view that video. Any other way to watch it?

21. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Bob, This and all Lou's public videos can been seen at https://www.youtube.com/user/loub747 using your conventional browser and YouTube if it's good to go with that site..

22. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I should mention there are a lot of snake videos on there. So if you don't like snakes, eh, well, there are some flying videos too.

I started the channel for fun and it's starting to grow. Do me a favor and "like" the videos if you do enjoy them. Somehow that helps me on YouTube.

Lou

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Alex, for helping me out with getting to see Lou's videos. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to the computer stuff. Old guys don't pick up a lot of stuff when they are on their own.

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I enjoyed the cross wind landings and it brought back memories of my own days in the little stuff. Also recalled the 777 landing gear design guys sweating out the design calculations on the 777 main gear to cope with cross wind and aborted / refused take off loads. One of the lead engineers in the landing gear group always had a light way about him and when I asked how things were going in the landing gear group he always answered, " Oh, up and down, up and down."

25. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Lou - Cool videos!

A few questions...

- What (and how much) is the danger during a crosswind landing like that?
    - Are you (pilots) scared during a bumpy landing?

GT