330 GTC Sun Visor Tips | FerrariChat

330 GTC Sun Visor Tips

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jcavalie, Nov 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hello -

My son has been looking for things to design in CAD that he can 3D print. One of the things I asked him to try is the sun visor tips for my car (the other is the terminal block cover and knob - shown in another thread). I don't have any originals we can measure exactly, so with a little trial-and-error and guessing of shape based on some pictures found on ferrarichat and in the 330 GTC judging guidelines, he made the ones pictured below.

They are 3D printed in a semi-rigid/semi-flexible nylon thermoplastic. The one challenge is how to make them more white. Nylon filament is a bright white, but appears to be a bit translucent - at least when this thin. We may be able to spray paint these white or off-white/ivory, but we haven't tried that yet so we don't know how well the spray paint would hold up.

I also want to have him add a little internal bump to see if we can make them snap onto the sun visor rods at the little groove near the end. So far though, they seem to be doing the trick on my car.

Here's what we he's made so far.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TFPG96

TFPG96 Rookie

Jul 13, 2016
    UK, Herts
    They look really great ! I have a couple og GTS and GTCs in restoration process at the moment, I will check which ones stI'll have them and if they don't would you consider making some more and selling them ?

3. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks! I'm sure my son would be thrilled to make more and sell them. He had the biggest grin on his face seeing the terminal block cover and knob and visor tips, that he made, on my Ferrari. He said with his 13-year-old boyish grin - "I made a Ferrari part. Cool."

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    can you do them in black? cost?

5. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Good questions. Price - unsure. I guess we need to sort that out.

As for black - the nylon material is only available in white. We could try a couple things - dying the nylon black would be one. Or printing them in ABS which would be rigid. Which car would black be for? Any idea if the size/shape would be the same? He'd entertain other sizes but he'd need to know what to make.

We have ABS around so we could make these exact items and share images as an idea.

6. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #6 jcavalie, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Quick update. My son and I have now made some of these using a polyurethane based thermoplastic. It's a much harder material to work with, but the results seem better - and they can be done in both white and black.

The ones pictured here are white and fitted to my 330 GTC. They are based on measurements provided by a member here who was generous enough to carefully measure and provide an engineering drawing for the broken pieces he has from an original GTC sun visor tip. Given the limitations of measuring 50 year broken pieces and 3D printer resolutions, they are probably not absolutely exact to originals, but they have to be pretty darn close. They fit the metal rod well and click into the indentations in the rod.

They are pliable, but should be durable. Texture on end is perfectly smooth. The texture on the outside is a little rough due also to limitations of 3D printing - especially with this material - but I think they are pretty good. Take a look.

7. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    looking pretty good.....

8. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    FYI, the GTS has a completely different setup. There is no catch and no plastic tip. The visor has velcro at the end that attaches to Velcro on the header. For what it's worth I've never seen a plastic tip in visors in a Ferrari before. Are you sure that is correct?

9. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    the tips are light rubber material - at least from the one survivor one i know of from a friend out east.....so making them in molded rubber is problem-metic considering the tubes are very thin walled - is which is the reason a lot of them disintegrated over time.

I believe the ones Jim made is acceptable for the car and judging......

Agree on the GTS design you described.....very hard to find if not impossible the black visors with the velcro....

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    are they available in black?

11. SEAN@TEAM AI

SEAN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Sep 22, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Sean Smith
    I would buy a set white or black.

12. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    We should be able to do black also. I ordered the material today - should have it in a couple days.

13. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks. Please PM me for more info.

14. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks, Ed. I've personally never held an original. These were created from an engineering drawing made by someone who has parts of a broken original. I just sent him a complimentary pair to check out and I'm waiting for feedback. I also sent a complimentary pair to another person who has been helping me out and who is involved in the judging world. I've never shown my car, nor do I intend to anytime soon (even though I'v been moving it back to original spec whenever work is done on it), so I make no representation of the appropriateness or acceptability of these for judging. They meet the need for me and cleaned up my metal stub ends nicely though. If we sell any, there would be no representation by us that they will meet the judges/judging requirements.

15. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    I agree. I've never seen an original pair. I had to have them made.

16. 10speed

10speed Rookie

Sep 18, 2013
    The correct color for the tip on the 330 GTC sunvisor is white. Black tips will be a deduction if you have your car judged by IAC/PFA judges.

17. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould

My '68 GTC still has the perished reminants or the original rubber tips. They ar now a sort of off white (sometimes known as Old English White). They have been this colour for the past 36 years, although they could have been nearer snow-white at the outset. I have never seen black tips.

18. SEAN@TEAM AI

SEAN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Sep 22, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Sean Smith