Least favorite F car from the 70s & 80s | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Least favorite F car from the 70s & 80s

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by fortee9er, Nov 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    So you think you'll make a killing by buying an unpopular Ferrari in poor condition.
    Good luck with that, sir.
    A GT4 or Mondial would probably suit you best as their restoration costs won't destroy you as badly as 400/412 will.
    Plenty of available projects as you seek, let us know this turns out.

2. fortee9er

fortee9er Karting

Jun 28, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jorge Garcia
    No not at all, just want get an "inexpensive to buy" F car. Thanks

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Nothing is more expensive to leep than a cheap Ferrari

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    After a decade of almost all home runs (60s), Ferrari DID come up with a number of iffy designs. But some great ones too like the GTC4, Boxer, and 206/246 Dino.

But ALL the cars from the era have proven collectible.....and that can only be matched by Lamborghini, Porsche, and AM that I'm aware of.

5. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Strange. I like my 412 as much as my C4 and others GT's They all drive differently but the 412 gives me great pleasure. I wonder how many people have actually driven these 365/400 series
    on a long trip

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I love Ferrari 2+2's, and so I know I would love a well sorted 400/412. Thing is, compared to the 365GTC/4 2+2 and the 456, they are just not swoopy and beautiful. I recall reading an article long ago in which a Ferrari exec or design team guy - I can't remember which - who said he thought two cars were missed opportunities; the 400/412 and the 348. Coincidentally, two of my three least favorite Ferrari's, the other being the F40 (Which I think was beaten with an ugly stick).

Cheers,

George

7. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    the Ferrari 400 followed by the Mondial. These were still good looking cars in their time, but they have aged terribly.

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Not to get on the defensive, and I knew this thread was going to trash my Mondial, but...

I have never had anyone see my car in person who did not think it was gorgeous, including a few nay-sayers who admitted that they had never really seen one, but were depending on internet options for their statements.

The car is quite different in the flesh, same engine and drive train as a 328, more room for my 6'4" frame and affordable service too.

I actually changed my mind about the F-40 after seeing a few at Daytona this weekend.

I always thought it looked like a kit car, but in person, it really is a beautiful Ferrari.

As someone said, "Why p**s on someone's dream car?"
    Alden

9. buzzdoc

buzzdoc Karting

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's a bit like asking which Playboy Playmate is the least attractive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    308 GTB/GTS
    288 GTO
    F40
    328 GTB/GTS
    F50
    512TR
    F355

thats a pretty impressive list of stand out cars to me

11. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It would be easy to say the 365 GT4 2+2 / 400 / 400i / 412i series. However, there's got to be some sort of rule against ditching front-engine V12 Ferraris.

However, the most unlikable Ferrari of that era has to be the 308 GTB/S I - the first injected 308s were total dogs. The earlier carburetor versions were very good, as were the eventual QV injected models.

12. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My thoughts exactly. In the metal they are superb.

13. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    What?? Sorry my Friend, calling pure rubbish to that statement. The whole run of 308 series is one of the most beautiful and iconic cars ever produced

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The worst looking Ferrari ever is the 365 GTC 4.

I don' like the GT4 and Mondial, but they aren't bad looking.

The 412 was an obsolete car, but I like the 365 GT4 and the 400 (with manual gearbox).

The 365/400/412 AUTOMATIC are the last cars I would buy, just after the 365 GTC4, that is the very last one.

I don't like the 360 shape, a "Japanese" car in my opinion.

I hate the Testarossa (it's just a plastic mess truck, in my opinion), while the 512 TR is much better looking

In any case, even the 365 GTC4, is a Ferrari and so it's a great car

ciao

15. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #65 Alden, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    You can use this statement for any Ferrari and you have my vote!

I saw more Ferraris this weekend at Daytona than most folks see in a lifetime. I was in awe of all of them, especially the older ones that I had thought were unattractive in pics on the interwebs. I can tell you they were all great cars: beautiful, purposful, and commanding of respect.

That is why I think this thread is so worthless. There are so many internet experts who have never seen the car in question in person. Up close, in the flesh and seen and heard with your own eyes and ears it is hard not to love all of them.

Ask the Admiral how much his 4 cylinder Mondial was loved or respected 40 years ago - not much I think, now it is a multi million dollar icon. But it is not about money or value, it is emotional when you see and hear any Ferrari. An experience most of us seldom get that leaves an indelible impression on us and also leaves us thinking, "I love that car." You can see the emotion when the Admiral talks about his Mondial. That is living to me.

Also, remember that some of the current favorites were out of fashion until a short time ago: The Dino, 3X8, and even the some of the old mid 60's cars were relegated to "meh" status. Now they are considered gracfully aged supermodels we would all love to get close to.

Least favorite? Pound the sand until you get fine powder, please, then come back and talk to me about "out of favor" Ferraris.

And to the OP - go buy one yourself or poundeth the silicone too. This thread is typical internet bait for Ferrari owners.

Me? Right now I have to go pick out my lease favorite Victoria's Secret model with which to spend an hour or so of "quality time." I guarantee I will be very happy afterwards and feel very lucky to have made that "difficult" choice.

Alden

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well...purely from an aesthetical point of view: I have seen many, many Testarossas in the flesh, and I have never, ever find it great, nor pretty (just to avoid the word "ugly", which I am not avoiding, because I have just typed it).
    Same with the F40: I have never liked it (although I understand its importance in the Ferrari history), and even after seeing a number of F-40s in the flesh, well: I don't like it at all.

Rgds

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I agree with Alden: There isn't a bad looking Ferrari. Just a less attractive one, and the less attractive is different from each other. But I think that some models have a masterpiece shape (like the 308-328) that others haven't.

Ciao

18. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    As above, just saying 'Ferrari' evokes passion. There is no bad Ferrari.

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    sacre bleu!

I agree that the Testarossa is way better in person and it does have some akward angels. but the F-40 .... I think is just pretty and powerful all in one glance. its not as beautiful as the 288 GTO but its got its own beauty. however there are some angels that are not as friendly to the f-40.

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    F40 is my car if I won the lottery....
    Saw one yesterday at SF Motorsports

21. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    This...

I LOVE the looks for the 400-type cars, but the TH400 auto just doesn't work for a Ferrari in my opinion. I do know they can be costly to restore, but I like them.

Now a 5-speed, well that would just be fun! Costly, but fun!

I used to own a 308 QV, I now own a 3.2 Mondial. When I owned the QV, I was single, I now have an 8 yr old step-daughter.

Granted, I just purchased it, so we'll see in the long run, but it does look nice AND the 3 of us can go out in it.

Just my 2 cents...

I remember that the 246 "Dinos" were considered the cheap Ferraris that no one wanted in the 80s. WOW if I knew then what I know now...

James in Denver

22. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    Alden, what multi million dollar Mondials are you talking about exactly?

I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out flaws in F-cars. They are cars, not people. Taste is largely subjective, but there seems to be some consistency across the board. Vanilla is a more popular flavor for ice cream than chocolate, for example. Skinny girls are considered more beautiful than fat girls across the board, symmetric objects are more attractive to humans than asymmetric objects. The color blue is preferred by a majority of the world's population etc. so while one can argue that everyone's taste is different, which it indeed is, it's only different to a certain degree, statistically speaking - and there is some broad governing consensus with regards to aesthetics and taste. With regards to Ferraris there are clear preferences among people, and there are models that the majority of people consider downright ugly. It does not make you any less of an enthusiast to point out flaws or show ones dislike for a certain design. I have an issue with people who want to protect people's feelings in discussions revolving taste. People's opinions count. The majority vote dictates the future. It is what has brought us to where we are in the Ferrari lineup. There are ugly and beautiful ferraris. It's more fun to discuss the beautiful ones of course, but that doesn't mean we can't find common ground in the discussion of ugly ones.

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The original one, from the 1950's.
    The "Mondial" of the 1980's was the second generation of Ferraris to bear the name "Mondial".

Rgds

24. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    agree

25. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have an "issue" with folks who post without research or knowledge and and paragraph breaks to make posts easier to read! Jeez!

FYI - Admiral Goodwrench is a member here:

EXACTLY THIS:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpfJ1b-X7p4[/ame]

Alden