612 or 456 | FerrariChat

612 or 456

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ferrariornot, Dec 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrariornot

Ferrariornot Rookie

Dec 4, 2016
    Clearwater Florida
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I'm new here, first post.
    I am considering buying my first F car. Im 55 now and have had a wanting for one since I was in my 20's. The F cars I liked then are now 1-7 million so unless I hit the lotto I wont be owning one.
    I do however have funds for a 456 or 612 . I am favoring the 612.
    I have been reading your forum and understand cost so lets skip that issue. I'd like some input from any of you who may own both or either .
    Secondly are these cars still depreciating or is it fair to say that value with respect to options, year of production and usage , price has stabilized ?

2. carioca66

carioca66 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Drew
    I have had a 2001 456GTA and 2006 612HGTE 6 speed.
    The 612 is better in all categories IMO even if you take out the transmission difference. The GTA was a boring transmission for a sports car so if you go the 456 route I would encourage a manual; should be a great car/ similar to a 550 with more room. I am not familiar with the F1 transmission. I think that GOOD F1 and GTA cars have bottomed out price wise and even gone up slightly in the past year. 6 speed cars have been rising and are unpredictable. Hope this helps.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you go with the 612, I would recommend the OTO (late 2008 and up). However, certainly look at both and decide which you like best.

Now as far as depreciation, how long do you intend to keep the car? If it's only for 1 to 3 years, it could be a concern. If you plan on keeping for many years, what difference does it make. ;)

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've owned both, and carioca66 is right on all counts. The F1 transmission in the 612 OTO is wonderful, so I wouldn't buy a 612 until you give an F1 a decently long test drive. That said, there is nothing wrong with the manual transmission in the 612 either.

My 612 has been more reliable than my 456 was, but that could be a function of age, since I bought the 612 new and the 456 was 8 years old when I got it. However, at 8 years old now, the 612 seems to keep on being reliable.

Both of them have been pretty good-- neither one left me stranded. By "reliability" I really mean cost of maintenance and repairs.

Both are wonderful cars-- I really loved my 456, and I still love my 612.

5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Another vote for the 612 but I don't think you'd be disappointed with either if it's your first Ferrari.

6. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I don't have a 456 but I do have a 612 and a wife called Drew. Could be a sign?

7. Smurf

Smurf Formula 3

612 all the way!

8. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I have a 456GT (manual), never had a 612. I find the 456 has a big amount of old-school appeal, be it through the simple interior (no screens, just gauges and switches), the cable throttle, no electronic aids besides ABS and the pure joy of that 6-speed box's bolt-action-esque throw.

I have no reservations about driving it long, long distances. All of its issues are well known and easily resolved. Furthermore, they are rarer than the 612. I would happily daily drive it, despite our crappy roads. That said, I hear the automatic neuters the character of the car somewhat.

I can see the 612 being a bit 'plushier', but also has a higher performance envelope. I'd say it really depends on what you're looking for--I think the 456 is more akin to the Ferraris you lusted after in your youth, but the 612 is a quantum leap forward towards a modern interpretation of a Ferrari.

The 456 finished depreciating about two years ago, the 612 not quite yet. If you can pick up a good manual 456 for under 80k USD, I'd say you're doing well. Not sure where 612 values sit.

9. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    If you get the 456GT, make sure it is a manual.

Per their engine, both are closely related. But, the 612 will win out on performance.

Although the 612 is bigger, it actually weighs less, due to its all aluminum chassis. The 612 was the first V12 Ferrari to go all-aluminum. (360 was the first V8 to do that).

Both are beautiful, classic Ferraris. Definitely not for the "fan-boy" crowd. But for someone who wants a beautiful unassuming sports car that packs a wallop when needed.

10. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Go for the newer Ferrari and the best you can afford of those. As the owner of a 599 and previously a 550, costs go up with the car's age. Further, from a safety point of view, newer cars have an advantage. Enjoy the hunt.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The 612 is a modern car and drives like one. The 456 is vintage, and reminds you what cars used to be like.

The F1, well... it's not for everyone.

The styling is worlds apart. The 612 has the vintage inspired lines and a bit over the top Ken Okuyama design that's a bit controversial (996 anyone?)
    The 456 is a bit more classic. I love the hood of the original, and the long scallop that runs down the side.

For maintenance, the 456 is OK for DIY, especially pre M. I do most everything myself. The 612 is best left to a qualified shop, or a qualified DIYer. For me, that means the 456 is a lot cheaper than the 612. There are known problems with both, I don't see too many "truly" sorted 456s available- at least not how I define sorted. On the other hand, I think most 612s are at a point in their lifetime where they have deferred maintenance and at least one owner who bought the car cheap and doesn't service it properly.

If you're looking for a modern, comfortable driver, the 456 just doesn't do it, but if you like a vintage drive, the 456 is pretty amazing. It's a big, heavy, go fast in a straight line, front engined v12, like Ferrari intended.

The 612 can corner hard, and the suspension responds. Even though it's a 2+2 GT, it really handles with the best of the era.

It's easy to think you will be OK with a certain type of driver, but until you go back and forth with a vintage car, you will probably not know for sure.

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Your definition of "vintage" is certainly different than mine!

13. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Vintage - /ˈvin(t)ij/ adj. - a car that came out when I was young.

Really, the original 456 is over 20 years old. In that time cars have progressed exponentially in all areas. When I drive my 456 I know I'm driving an "old" car.

14. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat

Haha, interesting definition! My 456 is the second-most recent car I've owned (the most recent being a 2002). It feels plenty modern to me! I'd put classic as pre 1980, vintage as pre-1960 myself.

Back to the topic at hand, I think the comparison between the 996 and the 612 very apt. It is definitely a millenial interpretation of a classic line. It's often been said that the 456 is the spiritual successor to the Daytona, in both layout and looks. I can see the resemblance. The 612, despite its own appeal, seems a bit more orphaned to me.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You should try a real "vintage" car sometime! I found the 456 to be quite modern in terms of driving experience.

16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    When I was looking for my 1st Fcar I also looked at both the 456 and the 612 gen one. I liked the lines of the 456 as others have said lines of the Daytona. I never found a 456 MT in color and condition I carried for so I really never came close to that purchase.

I found three earlier 612s I would have bought but just missed all three. Must have been fate as the more I looked the more I wanted an OTO car. Finally found exactly what I was looking for and put a deposite down and purschased the car.

I think had I found the late 456MGT w/MT I saw in the dealer for service a month ago I would have purschased that car. It ticked all the boxes color, interior, low miles, MT, very well maintained according to the dealer service rep however NOT for sale. The owner had a stable of Fcars and plenty of garage space.

I am sure as a 1st Ferrari I would have been very happy with that 456 however I really love my 08 612 OTO car. Just would have been a whole different experience. Now owning the 612 I am not sure I would now get a 456, hard to go backwards. I already have one vintage car I have had for 38 years and there is always something to fix to go with the vintage experience.

All and all go for the newer OTO car unless you really want to do a lot of your own diy tinkering IMO.

17. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    I presume the 612 will just require less maintenance than the 456. Reasons being: 1) likely to have had fewer number of previous owners; 2) the 612 is 2 - 3 generations newer; and 3) the 599 takes less maintenance than the 550 (at least in my case) -- and that likely holds for the 456 v. 612. I also tell my friends that given their stage of life, your financial responsibilities (and also you probably have family responsibilities too), and what you've accomplished, go for the safest car. Terrible story years ago about a family lost in an accident with their Duesenberg. As they say, just my 2 cents.

18. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I might have driven a couple.

My point is: when I drive my 308 vs. my 246, there is a very similar driving experience, I even find the 246 a better driver in many respects. 1 generation different, not much difference.
    My 456GT vs my 612? 1 generation, a world of difference.
    Is driving the 456 at all like driving the 308? Of course not. But is the 456 a throwback to a different type of driving experience, very much so. From the suspension to the amenities, to the overstuffed seats (especially pre M)

My advice is, with the 456, be sure you're OK with a car that is from a very different era.

19. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Personally,from a design perspective i find the 612 much more interesting than a 456.

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i have a 456MGTA and an 09 OTO. i love both cars but there is no comparison wrt to the drive. In my opinion the 456 is pretty but the 612 is straight up beautiful. I wld def go 612 over 456 if i had to pick one.

21. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Pretty, beautiful and ugly, I guess you like to own the whole spectrum :)

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lol 612 is the best compromise of the 3

23. Craddock

Craddock Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Hello - I've owned both: a 1996 456 GT manual for about three months (regrettably parked it in a tree) and a 2005 612 F1A which i've had for about six weeks. The 456 was a lovely car but it really did feel dated. I bought it after having had a Maserati gransport and although a much more desirable car it was very clearly a step back in time. Now, don't treat that as a negative review - i loved the car and i'm bitterly disappointed to have added to the scarcity value of the model. On the plus side, the engine is divine and mated to a manual 6 speed was really rather fun. The handling is better than it ought to be for such a heavy car and the brakes were surprisingly solid. However, the electrics - notably the heating - were a law unto themselves. I've heard it said that Ferrari sell you an engine and grudgingly supply the rest, and the 456 had a bit of that feel. Nevertheless, if you want to feel a like you're driving a "classic" then the 456 does that for you. And it really is a pretty car. The 612 is a whole other story. I'm coming to it after a couple of years in a maserati gran turismo mc shift - and while it doesn't have the toys that the maz had, it really does feel like a thoroughly modern car. The only downside i've so far felt is that the F1A shift is slow compared to the MC-shift (but to be fair, that was the whole selling point of the maz... 100 millisecond or something to change gear). the 612 however is immensely powerful and exudes an incredible sense of occasion getting into it and driving off... way more (IMHO) than the 456. It is a BIG car but if sort of feels like a reverse tardis in that it wraps around you - especially once you allow it to do what it's supposed to - move along smoothly and swiftly. The gearshift is good compared to anything other than an MC-shift (or of course more up to date F-cars) and the engine is more than capable of pushing past what most people aside from Vettel or Alonso could do with the gears anyway. It is a lot prettier in the flesh than in pictures - its always a personal taste thing but don't let those who naysay the car on its looks put you off. I think it is a design that is aging well and will get better with time. In many ways like the 456 did - even though it'll never be as pretty. As for the interior - its bright, airy and the rear seats are usable (though not as big as some would have you believe). FWIW I'm about to do a 2000km+ run in it down to the Alps over xmas... if you want a quick report on how it was for a long run sometime early in the NY then just ping me a mail. Thus far, i'm really enjoying the car and vs. other higher end 2+2s that i've owned (from Maserati) i'd certainly say that for my price range the 612 blows the rest away. hope this helps, sorry it's not more technical - there are others who no doubt can help more with that - but from a humble driver's perspective hopefully it gives some sense of the compare/contrast between the two.

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You can improve the shift speed with an HGTS/HGTC TCU, but only about 10%, from 180 ms to ~160 ms min shift time. Probably more noticeable in normal shifting. Your MC had the Superfast 1 of the 599 and 612 OTO and that is considerably faster.

25. Craddock

Craddock Rookie

Nov 12, 2016
    Thanks for the tip - funny enough was wondering about trying to get the shift improved a bit - do you know if is this an easy upgrade to do in practice, and something insurers are relaxed about?