1988.5 Testarossa for sale | FerrariChat

1988.5 Testarossa for sale

Discussion in 'Cars' started by IAG, Nov 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IAG

IAG Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Artie / Jason
    #1 IAG, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Great looking car.

What service was done on 12/14?

What's wrong with it?

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    That is such a beautiful car.

Almost 30 years old and the styling is still stunning.

GLWS.

4. IAG

IAG Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Artie / Jason
    Full engine out major was done on 12/14 including belts.
    There is nothing wrong with this car, just a nice example, priced aggressively for it's mileage.
    Thank you

Artie 954-958-0000

5. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'll be calling you guys tomorrow about the car, maybe about 4pm your time.

-Matt

6. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Has the fuse box and differential been upgraded?

7. IAG

IAG Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Artie / Jason
    The fuse box was upgraded 12/08/14 (we have the receipts). No receipt of rear diff. ever being changed.

Thank you

Artie 954-958-0000

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    How old are the tires?

9. IAG

IAG Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Artie / Jason
    The tires are dated 2007 and 2008. They are in very good condition, plenty of tread life left and no dry rot, HOWEVER if you would like to purchase this TR, and want new tires put on it, I am happy to include them in the deal..

Thank you

Artie 954-958-0000

10. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    terrific price for a testa. very nice :)

11. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Will you be at the dealer today artie?

12. IAG

IAG Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Artie / Jason
    yes still available

13. damiancook

damiancook Rookie

Feb 8, 2017
    Hi. Is this car still for sale?

14. IAG

IAG Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Artie / Jason
  15. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    I’m the guy that purchased this car. Not really happy right now. I distinctly asked in this thread what was wrong with the car – reply was nothing was wrong with it. Even had a major engine out service in 12/14. OK, I pulled the trigger and decided to buy it. Purchase went very smoothly and IAG even helped find reasonably-priced transport to LA.

Got car delivered and it looked great, but ran rough when it was cold. I mean extraordinarily rough. I was the only one of my friends who could drive it when cold without stalling it. I figured, well, it’s been sitting at IAG for a while, and Artie said that it was at Ferrari Ft. Lauderdale before that, so let’s get a tank of fresh gas (Shell 91 octane) and drive it around for a week or two. No difference.

Took it to local Ferrari mechanic (F&M Motorsports) for an overall inspection. When I went back to the shop, Giuseppe, the owner, told me the car hadn’t been loved in a while. I said “well, it did have a major service in December 2014”. Giuseppe shook his head with a grim look on his face and said no. Then took his flashlight and proceeded to show me leaks in the cam seals on both sides of the engine, worn hoses, and an overall level of grime that he said wasn’t consistent with having a major service in the last couple of years. I then had him provide me a quote for a major service ($7,200) and I was happy it was at the low end of what is generally charged for this type of service, so I authorized him to start work.

I then sent a PM to Artie at IAG last Friday:

“Hi Artie, I had the Testarossa for a few weeks and noticed it was running extraordinarily rough when cold, and so I took it to my local Ferrari mechanic (F&M Motorsports) for an overall inspection. He is saying that based in part on leaking cam seals on both sides of the engine and overall level of grime that absolutely, positively the car has not had an engine out service in the last several years. I purchased the car based on your description that the car had a full service in 12/14, and that ‘there is nothing wrong with this car’.

While I accept that I purchased a 30-year old car there have to be *some* problems, like engine cover release not working, or no emergency brake light on the dash, or glove box not opening, it really doesn't seem right that there are some major problems with the car when it was indicated otherwise, and stated work that was not done. I'd like to talk to you about this next week.

-Tommy”

Didn’t get a response from Artie. Called and left a message for him Wednesday and Thursday of this week, but he hasn’t called back.

I really believe that I should have recompense for my expenditure on the major service due to gross misrepresentation. Come on Artie, do the right thing.

16. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Sorry to hear of the issue. Curious did you have a PPI performed?

17. Dhillonboys

Dhillonboys Rookie

Feb 13, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jas / Sanu Dhillon
    That is very unfortunate. I was thinking about reaching out to IAG regarding their 1998 F355, but your post has made me reconsider.

Did you get a PPI done on the car before you purchased it? Did you get any service records that show an engine out service was done within the past few years?

There is no question this advertisement represents that an engine-out service was done in 12/14. If it was not done, then there was a material misrepresentation and you may have recourse.

$7,200 for an engine out service is very reasonable. I paid twice as much for an engine out on my Testarossa at Ferrari of SF.

PM me and let me know about your experience at F&M; good, fairly priced, Ferrari mechanics are hard to find.

Good luck with getting your Testarossa back on the road.

Jas

18. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Reminds me when I bought my TR from FoO...God! What an aggravation! Hang on Tommy! If your mechanic is ok you're in for so much fun after the car is sorted!

19. riccardone

riccardone Karting

May 24, 2015
    Did they provide you with a receipt for that "major service"?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

20. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    I hope IAG will do the right thing, and then go after the potential culprit that sold them the car!

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Hope this doesn't turn into a Vancouver type thingy.

22. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I was going to buy that car, but you did. Gosh, this is something that needs to be dealt with.

23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Never buy a Ferrari without looking at it YOURSELF first. I did it once. Did OK but because it was cheap, car was not as described. Did it a second time. Never got the car and lost over $6000. NEVER AGAIN.

A flight ticket is cheap compared to what you can loose.

24. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    sorry to hear of this until it's resolved ill add this dealer to my list of ones to stay away from

25. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I wonder if the seller knows about the continuation of this thread post sale.