Wow I'm Totally Shocked My 458 vs Huracan | FerrariChat

Wow I'm Totally Shocked My 458 vs Huracan

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari Now & Forever, Dec 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Now & Forever

Jun 16, 2015
    F Chatters, greetings this fine Thursday. I'm a first time owner of a 2013 Ferrari 458 Italia coupe. I've posted pictures of my car before here. Black roof, shields, black carbon fiber trim ect ect. I've had my Ferrari almost 2 years and the car has been a dream come true.

Since I got into the high end car world its kinda been like Star Wars. I've been repeatedly tempted to join the dark side of the force. I guess dealers are trying to move cars this time of year. I've been contacted by 2 Lambo dealers. I've been offered to take a few Hurracans for the entire weekend. I've declined until today.

Well I got a Hurracan delivered(I agreed to split half of shipping) with them hoping Ill buy it. Its a 2015 with 6k miles. The dealer really wants to move it. I have to admit when it showed up at my office it was like the same day when my 458 arrived. Excitement. Well coming off the truck the engine burst to life as it was backing out and I couldn't wait to get in the cockpit. I was given instruction on how to drive it and all the feature controls. ect ect

So my buddy and I hit the road. We drove about 30 miles at the start. I don't want to insult anyone or come off as a jack ass. Many of you here have forgotten more about exotics than I will ever know. OMG Just in my opinion the Hurracan feels like, sounds like and drives like a PIECE OF JUNK!!!!!! Is it something wrong with me?

At start up it sounds great. After that it sounds like I don't know. The steering and handling I swear it feels like driving a pickup on a dirt road in 4 wheel drive. After my 458 warms up. I've had people riding with me ask me if its some how I can cut the engine noise down a few notches. I can feel the engine noise in my stomach ears and bones. I was waiting for that similar sound in this car. Nothing. Again the steering feels like you're in a truck. The paddle shift feels rough. I will admit it accelerates like hell and people were gawking all over the place. But is this really what a Lambo is like?

The dealer got me in the car because he said, "Look the gallardos were a piece of garbage, this thing is so superior to the Gallardo, its better than the Aventador". I did a history check on the vin the car has never been wrecked or anything.

So what am I missing? I've never been this disappointed in driving a car before. This is suppose to be a LAMBORGHINI

2. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    While I've never driven cars of that caliber I was very disappointed by R8 V10 and i8. I'm therefore not surprised by your experience.

My buddy drove early Gallardo and 360 Modena back to back on a track and said he couldn't believe how exciting the horse felt vs the bull, so I guess this is an old tradition now.

3. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    i've driven both and have a 458 as well. I thought the huracan was fine... at least on track. only complaint would be the awd understeer.

4. spectre007

spectre007 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    London
    #4 spectre007, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2016
    Looking at the history of the marque - big, bombastic, impractical and form over function, I'd say the Huracan is one of the more usable Lambos. Too usable really if anything.

Having driven one on a test-track I'm not sure I totally agree with what you've said. Gearbox shift is extremely quick and smooth if in normal mode - adding in jolt for the Corsa setting if I remember right.
    Steering was extremely linear to the point of being boring I thought. tonnes of grip but a pretty square feeling mid-corner, my R8 feels more fun in terms of being able to play with the balance of the car using the throttle.

Everything else about it was very well done I thought though, and holy **** it launches well, but yeah, not prickly enough for my liking and the looks appeal more to the 15 year old me than the 30 year old me...

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

interesting. my co-worker drove one and promptly sold his 458 as a result. bought his hurican from interstate motorsports in nj.

6. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i went from bently gt to gallardo spyder to california to 458 spider to AMG GTS to huracan spyder

they all have their pros and cons, but in general the newer cars are less visceral because, well, technology advances and there really isn't a reason to make cars less comfortable on purpose... kind of like the BMW I8 fake sound... it's disingenuous

check to see if you have the dynamic steering which has numerous complaints as on option

my opinion is the Huracan is a more technologically advanced vehicle but that should be a given since it is 6 years newer than when the first 458 came out

advanced doesn't mean more fun for some people, and it sounds like you are one of those. there are a great many porsche fans who want the stick gear shift back and porsche is actually obliging them!

try a lp580 rwd without dynamic steering, if you still hate it then i guess you are true to your avatar name

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I've only driven Gallardos but from that experience and what I hear from others, your perceptions are spot on. I think Lamborghini purposely designs their cars that way, with a heavy feel, as it seems to be their signature.

8. 0-60 freak

0-60 freak Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    interesting ....of course assessments are subjective , I recently sold my 2013 458 and currently have a huracan and a 488 on the boat heading this way....I would love to bash the H as it has lost tremendous value since new (18m ago), but I cant. It is a tremendous car, lighting fast shifts, 0-60 +/- 2.6 sec, tite, crisp handling, comfortable seats, nice hi/fi, tons of envy on the streets, the fabspeed exhaust sounds phenomenal....

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would get one without the 4wd. That might be pretty cool as a spider.

10. dud

dud Karting

Apr 30, 2016
    Boston
    I drove a F430 and a Gallardo on back to back days, Ferrari first. Both auto, both convertibles.

The Gallardo is a pretty clinical. I am sure it is a great experience on its own, but driving it after the Ferrari that is alive in every way the Lambo was overshadowed.

It also helped that the Gallardo was working fine, whereas the Ferrari had the CEL on, one headlight out, one headlight pointing at the moon and threw some convertible roof error message every time you put it in neutral at a stoplight :D

Ash Patel likes this.
  11. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Not surprised with your thoughts considering user user id

12. GiveMeSomethingICanUse

Jan 26, 2016
    The Huracan is a fine machine. It's not as lively as the 458, feels more like a video game with the colorful dash, and doesn't sound as good as the 458. The steering is a little heavier and the car doesn't look that great in my eyes, but calling it a piece of s... is not really fair. It's overpriced, yes. But it's not a piece of s... by any standards. The transmission is amazing, the performance is great, the build quality is better than the Ferrari, and the lambo presence is unique as always.

13. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Agree 99%, not with the build quality comment though, at least when it comes
    to the vehicles produced under Di Montezemolo

14. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    You hit the nail on the head for him I think. The 458 feels alive and like the Mayor eluded to a 2wd car like the 458 the car just fees more nimble. You feel a man machine connection where as the Lambo it just feels stiff.

He may have done like millions of people do with some movies. The expectations are so high they can't be met.

15. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    This ^

16. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Try the 991 GT3 RS. It has better feeling than 458, same precision, better brake, sounds as good (if your 458 has stock exhaust), no fancy interior, much harder, etc, except........it looks like a Beetle.

shawdut, ryalex and Ivinsea like this.
  17. Cmazza

Cmazza Karting

Jul 13, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #17 Cmazza, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jo Sta7 likes this.
  18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    :D

19. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Basically agree with the OP. Huracan is crazy fast, but in a sterilized way to the point that it's almost boring. It's a radicalized German sports car that lacks the soul of the F-cars.

MacDemarco likes this.
  20. ychaudhary

ychaudhary Rookie

Oct 13, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    I just drove my first Hurracan a week ago and like the OP was underwhelmed by driving quality.

The "cockpit" was very advanced and has a very cool look to it but being 6'4 in the Hurracan vs my 458 made a huge difference. I felt like I was in a toy car with not much room in the Hurracan with very limited visibility.

Nothing against Lamborghini, but I was more pleased with my 458 than ever and the entire experience has possessed me to start looking at 488's.

21. coopersjcw

coopersjcw Karting

Apr 29, 2007
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yesterday I had to chance to drive an Audi R8 V10 Plus. I drove roughly 100 miles and these are my thoughts:

Performance wise you can't really tell it's faster even with 610bhp. Sometimes it even felt slower than the 458.
    Sound: 458 wins by far.
    The interior was OK but nothing fancy. Still prefer the Ferrari interior.
    Super light steering which I did not like.
    The only thing I would praise is the gearbox. Absolutely perfect.

Conclusion: It is a great machine but I'll keep my 458 any day.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. Ferrari Now & Forever

Jun 16, 2015
    Thanks for those that understand what I'm talking about. Its is a HUGE difference between Ferrari and Lamborghini. I thought the only major difference was styling. So not true.

After putting another 50 miles on the car. Yes I do like the Darth Vader like console set up in the middle. But this particular car compared to the transmission in my 458 it LACKS. Especially driving around town.

The sound OMG!!!! My wife and I last night we gave the car another chance. I'm sorry but when accelerating the car sounds like a very loud power drill you can buy from Lowes. It just gives off this loud shrill sound the harder you accelerate. You can feel my Italia's engine sound in your throat and the growl is amazing. Its like music you can feel it inside your bones. At low speeds or high speed.

And why does this car at very low speeds, when I turn its like you're turning on gravel?

Ivinsea likes this.
  23. Ferrari Now & Forever

Jun 16, 2015
    By the way I was blown away with Porsches I've been in. I decided to buy a Ferrari because of the brand, performance sound but mainly nothing against Porsche. I know school teachers that own Porsches. Nothing wrong with that but I see them all the time I wanted something a little exclusive.

I only got this name after I got my car and fell in love with it. I'm not a lambo bash person just really disappointed. I use to own an Audi and like someone said these car feels and sounds very German.

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Audighini

Makuono likes this.
  25. spectre007

spectre007 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    London
    Nicky_Santoro likes this.