[For Sale] 2006 Columbia 400 SLX (Cessna TTX) | FerrariChat

[For Sale] 2006 Columbia 400 SLX (Cessna TTX)

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Oct 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am 2nd owner of this AWESOME airplane, purchased in 2010. What an unbelievable aircraft 235 KTAS at 25k (fastest certified FG single piston), 210 KTAS at 18k 22.5 GPH ROP, 185 KTAS at 10k 15 GPH LOP, G1000 cockpit, XM radio weather, AC, factory OX, and load 4 adults golf bags.

It just came out of annual and I completed all squawks, it is in better condition than when I purchased. Prior owner had special modifications to tune injectors and run cooler. Columbia test pilot flew my plane and he's flown over 100, said mine was smoothest running either ROP or LOP. I have never seen more than 380 CHT even 105 degrees outside running ROP. Runs low 300's LOP.

I have only flown it about 100-120 hours a year, which is minimal for full ownership. Next year my planned hours will drop in half, so certainly not worth ownership and pilot proficiency. This plane really is amazing fast hauling 4 adults, can fly 6+ hours long distance, AND handles like an RV in the pattern.

Van Bortel in Arlington, TX (best Columbia/Corvalis service & sales center in world) has it listed $379k. Annuals run $3-5k and oil changes $300-400. Let me know if anyone FerrariChat interested and I'll have them give you the FerrariChat discount. :)

2006 Cessna 400 - Van Bortel Aircraft

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izsmTwa_qoI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7twg3j2x50[/ame]

how about these non-stop flights? even westerly in headwind.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    GLWS!

will you keep flying? if so, renting a plane as needed? or have you had your fun and want to move on?

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've honestly had my fun, but might go back to tailwheel as that was the most fun.

I did all the fun things for years before the Columbia and then since 2010 mostly just XC's for convenience. The place I rented from before 2010 doesn't have as good selection (no Super D or T182T anymore), but still a 182 RG, 172, and Citabria. If I sell well go back and fly the Citabria a little, will keep with it long as fun. I would buy something like a Super D or Super Cub if knew I wanted to keep fun flying for years.

I just take flying way too serious with my prep time, analyzing the weather, and not relaxing to do it for "fun". Less hours, less proficiency, and that opportunity cost goes a long ways towards cars & land. ;)

That said I really don't want to sell or don't have to, so will be happy to keep flying it for years to come. Already talked to Jennie and we'll start planning more weekend flyaways to replace the fishing & hunting trips mainly using for lately.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Sounds like you should keep it!

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #6 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 13, 2015
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, nice!

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    heads up I'm getting plane back from dealer coming week, plan on flying it next 9 months before putting on market again. I have reached out to a couple wholesalers, so might consider closer to wholesale prices weighting retail against costs I would incur next 9 months. would be a good deal for individual coming in below retail for financing and equity.

9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    DO NOT sell it Rob.. trust me you will regret it when you are stuck in the middle seat after getting the proctology exam from TSA.

Quit being so "serious" in your planning. If the weather is good, go, if not don't worry about it just stay an extra day. There isn't anything in the world (including Ferraris!) that can compare with your own flying carpet.

DONT DO IT. You will just be looking for another airplane within a year.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I know I know. I have lived OK without it last 3 months, but anxious to get it back this week. Might be headed down to southwest Texas this weekend. 7 hour drive, will just take 2 hours. Flying it coming months I may change my mind. We just don't do many weekend trips as Jennie works in Dallas and wants to be home most weekends. Mia in school, so limits extended trips. I will be running my own boat in pro bass tournaments now, so will be driving instead of flying. Most of my hunting trips are Alaska or far Northwest where commercial makes more sense.

11. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    He's right.

Art

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #12 rob lay, Jan 13, 2016
    Picked up plane from dealer today and went to shoot approaches with my CFII to get current. What fun! I love those 500 AGL circle to land patterns. Hmm, might just have to keep her. Only gullwing I'll ever own. ;)

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  14. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    Rob did u ever sell the plane? It seems like the market is tough right now?

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, sold about 3-4 months ago. I'm not sure how the market has changed in that time, but it started getting tough summer of 2015. That's about when I put plane on market first time. If you are selling plane be very careful with dealers!

I went with Van Bortel because they are best in world for maintaining Columbias and have maintained mine. They also have 6-10 Columbias for sale and that was a mistake for me! Because mine was nearing top end, a 2006, and needing ADS-B it was lower end of price range. Van Bortel didn't want to price it that low and I guess put downward pressure on their fleet, so they over priced mine by $50k and it sat for 8 months. Pisses me off even today, Van Bortel really screwed me. When I finally figured out their game I got it out of there with independent broker, priced it right, and was getting interest and offers monthly. Sold it within $10k of my asking price.

I haven't missed the plane at all yet.

16. RotarySwingGolf

RotarySwingGolf Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2011
    Florida and Idaho
    I thought you were very high on the 400?? Why haven't you missed it?

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I haven't missed flying, I loved the 400 as a fast 4-person piston, I still think it is the best one overall, especially the 2006-2008 at price point.

If I start missing the flying I will get tailwheel again.