Quick way to get heater working? | FerrariChat

Quick way to get heater working?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Maser, Nov 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    #1 Maser, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm touring Europe in my TR for a few days, covering approx 2000mls over the next 7 days, and have discovered the heater on my TR only works for a few minutes, then reverts to blowing cool air. Issue is outside temperature is currently 0-5 degrees C, so zero fun touring with no heating. We're having to wear coats and have sweaters wrapped around our legs, which isn't what I'd hoped for in a Ferrari!

I've done a forum search and there's loads of good technical info but I'm away from home and don't have the tools with me to carry out these tests, so wondered if there's a way to get the heater working manually, perhaps in the full (or part) open position, with just some basic tools? If you have any top tips you could share, then they could be a marriage saver..

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Did you remove the water thermostate...I would check this first. If there is one, check if it works properly.

Guido

4. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    Thanks Joe, that's great thinking. Nearly every fuel stop on the French Autoroute has these on sale, so I'll get one late today, as it looks like the best solution. Don't fancy spending the rest of the holiday stripping the TR and chasing faulty relays..

5. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    Hi Guido, I suspect the thermostat could be faulty too as the engine is running very cool. Heater gets going if you leave the TR ticking over and the water temperature gets close to where the cooling fans kick in. I put an A5 magazine in each side pod, to blank the radiators a bit, in an effort to get the engine to run a bit warmer.

Once we're back home, I'll check everything out properly but thanks again for the suggestion, greatly appreciated.

Harry

6. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    could the coolant be a tad low?

7. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    I wondered that too, so bought some anti freeze and topped it up as much as I could. It didn't take much..

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    how much you filled in?
    if less the 2 litres it makes no difference

what does the water gauge inside show? how many °?

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Jump the heater monovalve to full open. It's under the passenger footwell kick plate. Bound to get toasty in there.

The thermostats probably make no difference.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    By what has been said about the engine running too cool I'd say the thermostat has failed and is stuck open. Running an engine too cold is not at all good for it.

Is it accessible? ... I'd change it if at all possible.
    Pete

11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Does the temp gauge show a normal operating temp? If so, the thermostats are not the issue.

The valve letting hot coolant get to the heater core is the obvious issue. I am just not certain if the presence or absence of current opens or closes the heater valve. Have a voltmeter?

On a LHD car the valve is in the passenger footwell. I think they did not relocate it on RHD cars. You may need to remove a bolt to remove the kick plate to access it. Feel the heater core hoses for warmth. The rotary temp switch could also be the culprit.

Good luck. My valve stuck open. Excess heat is fun in Dubai.

12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The operation logic of the TR hot water valve is:

+12V across terminals = closed = no heat

0V across terminals = open = full heat

Unplugging the hot water valve will give full heat (and it's just a two pin connector that pulls straight up), but getting to the hot water valve does require some tools/effort (and I'm not sure which side it is located on a RHD).

13. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    Many thanks for all the responses. Can't answer all posts individually but will do my best here..

1) I added a litre of anti-freeze and it brought the level right up to max.

2) The engine was running at 140 degrees F on the gauge when we set off but with the radiator blanks fitted and warmer outside temperatures, it's now running about right at 185 degrees F, with the needle not quite vertical on the gauge.

3) Interesting regarding 0 volts across the terminals meaning the heater valve would be fully open. At the moment, outside temperatures (now 18 degrees C) have improved a huge amount from what they were when we set off (-1 degrees C), so lack of heater is now less of an issue. Even so, I'm going to investigate if I can get to this valve easily tomorrow and then get it fixed properly once we're back in the UK.

Still haven't found a lorry cab heater but hoping to pick one up as we travel north through France over the next couple of days.

Huge thanks for all the pointers, in the end the weather over the past couple of days intervened and got a chunk warmer, which got me out of jail. Wasn't forecast but I'm certainly not complaining!

Harry

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay good that the thermostat is not the issue and engine temp is fine.
    Pete

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    not good to read that temperature is only 140 °F without the radiator blanks fitted
    so I disagree with pete.
    it is a problem with the thermostats. may be only 1 is not working fine? but I would change both at the same time.

what is with the heater when the water temperature is 180°F ?

16. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Hi,
    Just to confirm - that on my old `86 UK RHD at least, the heater valve was in the passenger side footwell.

Have a great trip!

Dom.

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Please tell us your story when you are back ! Have a wonderful trip in Europe !

18. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Be careful where you plug that thing in, unless you like replacing fuses in the dark on the side of the road.

Hope the heater core is treating you well. Out of curiosity, have you serviced the car recently? It took a bit of effort to get all the air out of the heater core from what I recall during the last major service.

19. Maser

Maser Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Harry Metcalfe
    Will do.
    TR is due to be picked up for a thorough investigation over the coming weeks but in the meantime, here's the Harry's Garage vid I did of the trip.. Ferrarichat get a plug along the way!
    https://youtu.be/fxF4TRIuH4g

20. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Great road trip video as always :)

As soon as you mentioned fchat I had to come search for the thread :D

21. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey Harry I noticed in the video you're holding up the boot with a stick. :) I had a similar problem with my '87's boot. The suggestion to get the stronger Stabilus SG402012 from 302Tim in this thread was excellent - I haven't had ANY problems with my hood staying up since I switched them out in 2014!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/433818-any-tricks-front-hood-hinges.html

Also, thanks for mentioning my suggestion to get a portable heater - my wife was impressed. :)

22. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    This makes sense. I drove an entire Detroit winter in a Jeep with no heat due to this but would air in the radiator also keep the engine cooler....at least according to the gauge?