Aviation Incidents from Kathryn's Report | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Aviation Incidents from Kathryn's Report

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Consider Old Rhinebeck. They fly airplanes that old all the time, even a 1909 Bleriot!

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #28 Bob Parks, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #29 Bob Parks, Nov 22, 2016
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I get cold just looking at that. I have been in open cockpits and it can be cold on a good day.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And a friend ran a 737 off the end of a runway because of a screw up by maintenance on the brakes. There are no guarantees in life.

7. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very nice. WAAAM is a cool place. Great museum (old cars and airplanes) and scenery (stuck between Mt Adams and Hood).

8. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Awesome paintings Bob.. and I see WAAAM is right near Mount St Hellens I've always wanted to explore.. the case for visiting this neck of the woods just keeps growing..

9. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you are into wind surfing then Hood River Oregon, on the Columbia River and location of WAAAMS, is a mecca of sorts.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes, Hood River has huge economic benefits from the invasion of surfers. When my son and I were flying west over the Columbia River well east of the town of Hood River. Looking ahead we saw what we thought where whitecaps but when we got nearer, we could see that it was a river full of surfers. The Columbia is fairly mild in that area and relatively shallow, the water isn't chilly cold yet so it is a great and windy spot to surf.

11. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I don't windsurf (yet) but it sounds like great prospect for my photography passion.. and I also see summiting Mt Hood isn't out of the question either.. heck.. I just HAVE to visit this region now with all these things I can line up!

12. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The reality is that someone screwed up with that motor. It isn't normal for it to burn and scare the crap out of some of the passengers. Period. During the course of discovery the counsel for plaintiff will find the cause. Somewhere along the line someone either did not do what was required or did it incorrectly.

So you folks think that's ok? I disagree. Without holding someone accountable things don't get fixed.

Art

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #38 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Kathryn's Report

I always thought this was a georgeous turbo prop. Fast, long range sleek. RIP. Will Epic survive? No fire. Inverted flat spin.

14. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Not the president of Epic... just a guy who owned one. He was the president of his own company, which looks like it makes cable tv test equipment.

I think what is confusing you is his company is listed as the "manufacturer"-- that's how kit planes work. The guy who built it is the "manufacturer" not the company who designed it and made the kit.

15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Ohhhh. I should have caught that. Bad deal either way.

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #42 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 4, 2017
    Kathryn's Report: Raytheon Hawker 800XP, Zoom Aviation LLC, N910JD: Incident occurred January 02, 2017 at Scottsdale Airport (KSDL), Maricopa County, Arizona

Anytime we visit a beautiful area we try to fly. So my pilot flew an SR22 with Chuck at Elite Flight Training around 10:30am. What a beautiful area! And they claim Scottsdale is the second most busy GA airfield in the US. I believe it. Later this happened. Just found it interesting, and glad it did not occur while we were up as we would have missed our flight back to Clemson. Go Tigers...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I wondered what the red tarp was for... cover the N-number one poster said.

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #44 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    The Final Flight of Martin McNally: He hijacked a plane at Lambert — and nearly got away with $500,000; it would take years to return to St. Louis

Kathryn's Report

Wow, what a story. I had no idea this happened, it reads like fiction. I found a video and located this bizarre comment:

https://youtu.be/U9qVjc0K6Os

MARTIN J MCNALLY HERE. THERE WERE OVER 5 ESCAPE ATTEMPTS. I TOOK ACTIONS TO ENSURE THAT I DIDN'T HAVE TO KILL ANYBODY DURING THE 1972 SKYJACKING OF AMERICAN AIRLINES FLIGHT 119.. THE ESCAPE ATTEMPTS HAPPENED AT LEAVENWORTH AND MARION FEDERAL PENITENTIARIES. DURING THE MAY 1978 ATTEMPT AT USP MARION WE HAD A BELL JET RANGER HELICOPTER SKYJACKED IN ST. LOUIS. THE WOMAN WHO WAS ON THE CHOPPER WAS KILLED BY THE PILOT. "FAKE ASS" WHAT ??? I WAS UNDER GOVERNMENT and BUREAU OF PRISONS CONTROL FOR 44 YEARS--FLAT. VERY LUCKY TO GET OUT OF PRISON. GOOGLE: "THE FINAL FLIGHT OF MARTIN MCNALLY". I CAME OUT OF THE BELLY OF THE BEAST and SURVIVED HELL. IT'S JAN. 12, 2017 and I'M DOING WELL IN ST. LOUIS..

Then this article:

A Look Back ? Airline hijacking at Lambert in 1972 turns bizarre | Metro | stltoday.com

So I guess this is true? Strange story, might be more interesting than Cooper, although that's fun due to the mysterious ending.

Here's more:

How a St. Louis Pilot Stopped a Helicopter Prison Break | News Blog

https://business.highbeam.com/435553/article-1G1-56368013/investigators-suspect-engine-failure-caused-barklage

19. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    so,how many people tried this?

20. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Wow, what an amazing story. Thanks for posting these links.

Here's the complete "Final Flight" article:

The Final Flight of Martin McNally | Feature | St. Louis News and Events | Riverfront Times

And here's the NTSB report on Allen Barklage's 1998 helicopter crash.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20001211X11011&AKey=1&RType=Final&IType=FA

At least nine, apparently, all copying D.B. Cooper.

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That was before Boeing put a switch on the exterior of the plane that would not allow the airstair to open if the plane was at speed.

Douglas did the same with the DC-9.

22. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #48 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 25, 2017
    Kathryn's Report

When these go down they shatter. Of course that's what carbon fiber and glass will do. I wonder what happened. Parachute looks like it was trying to do off or went off on impact.

Maybe they should ad solid fuel retro rockets. A giant airbag. A gravity shield. I guess the chute is the best and only alternative, and it only works when properly deployed. Just rambling.

23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I think the chute is only viable above a certain altitude.

24. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yep, plane was too low for the chute to work.