I need some General Knowledge about Pick-up Trucks Culture | FerrariChat

I need some General Knowledge about Pick-up Trucks Culture

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by dcmetro, Nov 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #1 dcmetro, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Hi Guys !

I have a general interest in sportscar, and especially, as you may guess, Ferraris.

But I recently discovered Pick Up trucks during a trip in an African Country. And I really love Big Trucks now. I have a kind of worship for the GMC Sierra 3500

But since I'm in europe where those vehicules don't exist, I know nothing about them.

I know that there is huge Truck culture in USA.

I have some basic questions.

1) There are a lot of trucks wich are modified with spectacular Lift supension. What is the goal behind that modification that seem to be really popular ?
    Is it practical, to allow the truck to drive on very difficult roads/grounds ?

Is it only to give a dramatic look ?

2) What happens with the driveshaft ? How can the power still be transmitted when the engine is so high above the axles ?

Any infos is welcome.Thanks !

2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    So I have a lifted Jeep Wrangler, and a standard ride height 1964 Chevy p/u truck. The vast majority of lifted vehicles are done for show, and not for off road capability. You can general lift a vehicle 2" (50 cm) or so without other modifications other than longer springs/extended spring perches etc. Beyond that, you really need to address driveshaft angles, suspension member angles, etc. It gets very complex to do it right, and most aren't done correctly. But everyone should drive what they want, I guess. It always makes me laugh when I see a lifted vehicle with lowered running boards that would be trashed off road (my Jeep has full skid plates, reinforced differential covers, very strong running boards that are bolted to the frame and designed to ride over rocks, etc.). Of course, I drive my Jeep on gnarly off road trails, and I have the gouges in my skid plates to prove it.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

If you lift much, you need longer driveshaft(s). and they will be at a steeper angle from the horizontal.

4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thanks Scotty ! Now it is far more clear for me

Thanks !

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #5 toggie, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Also note that the American pick-up trucks come stock with a lot of tire & wheel clearance in the fenders.

Here is a picture of a new Chevy Silverado pick-up with standard size stock wheels on it.
    Look at how much air is above those tires within the fenders.
    You could easily add larger tires and wheels and not need to left the suspension any.

So, lots of people raise their trucks a little bit just by getting large tires and wheels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Wonder how truck nuts would go over in Europe?

7. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    They'd probably be called truck bollocks and that just doesn't seem right.

8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #8 toggie, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a picture of a random truck I saw today in my home town in Virginia.
    Trucks like this are fairly common in this area.
    You're likely to see at least a couple of them every day.

This is typical of how high people will lift a truck.
    As you can see, it isn't as extreme as a monster truck like you see on the TV.

I don't think this level of lifting a truck requires any major modifications to the engine, transmission, or driveshaft.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thanks Toggie !

I love that sierra ! A black sierra is my favorite Truck

So if I have understood that guy probably just wanted his truck to be a little higher to look more spectacular than the standart one...

I have another question

Most of the pick up trucks are available with dual rear wheels

1) Is this option only dedicated to people who want to tow heavy weights ? or are there other reasons to have dual rear wheels ?

If you don't tow, will dual wheels affect the performances ?

2) Why 2 wheels instead of one Wide wheel ?

thanks

10. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    That looks lifted about 4". I don't know about those trucks (I'm a Jeep guy, mostly) but that type of lift would cause huge issue with pinion/driveshaft angles, potential caster/caber changes. Plus you need to deal with brake line extensions, new bump stops, coil spring retention straps etc.

Of course all of this assumes that the vehicle will be required to fully articulate the suspension. For "mall crawlers" some of the issues don't matter. But for any challenging off-reading it really matters.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes dual rear wheels add stability and safety when towing. They are used mostly for commercial purposes in the states.

12. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    let's not forget regearing is often required when tire size increases. my Jeep was okay with 3.73 gears and 35" tires, but I have a customer with a new Yukon lifted 6" with 35s and you have to step on the gas a decent amount just to get to idle speed

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Step on the gas to get it to idle? Huh?
    That doesn't seem to make sense.

14. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Not to get the engine to idle....getting the wheels turning at what idle speed would be on a normal, properly geared vehicle requires more power when tire size is substantially increased. I'll look for a video or a better explanation later.

15. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
  16. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This is sooooo common where I am as well. Expensive, lifted truck sitting by itself in the parking lot. Super clean. Wouldn't want it to get dirty, ya know?

17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Olivier... From the F12tdf to pickup trucks, your taste is impeccable.

We love pickup trucks down here in Texas! I'm trying to convince the wife that our next truck needs to be a ridiculously huge blacked out, dually Ford F-350 with lift kit and brush guard (or cattle catcher as we call them!). Something like this.

https://youtu.be/CGzkh4c8hBw

T

18. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Ahahahah Thanks Tom !

I want a 3500 Sierra for the Week and a Tdf for the Week-end !!

That thing in video is terrific.I looooove the custom dual rear wheels.
    I hope Mrs C. will say yes !!

19. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    More than too many here. There are a couple down by the horsie farm that literally just sit in the driveway 99% of the time, but get washed weekly. Jen now calls one of them "that guy's Man Cave" that his wife wouldn't let him have. It's another 6" taller than the one you posted, and doesn't come close to fitting in their garage. I was shocked a couple of weeks ago when I witnessed one of them on the road, almost a block from the safety of its driveway.
    As Jo Sta7 already posted, they add some stability, but their primary purpose is to increase payload capacity across four tires rather than two. The trailers typically used, and requiring, this type of setup are the heaviest loads below commercial freight and attach to the truck frame in the bed of the truck instead of the rear bumper (actually, still the frame), to a mount directly over the axle. The non-dually 2-tire setup can handle a pretty sizable load, but those tires can get uncomfortably close to their limits with many loads. The dually setup increases that margin within the 2-tire limit, and adds even more capability.

A safety benefit when working under/within the 2-tire load limits is that in the event of a tire failure, you still have its corner-mate functioning so you aren't immediately stranded - important for us when towing a trailer full of horses to an event. When you have a tire failure under heavy load with the 2 tire setup, it's typically a catastrophic failure, that whole corner drops, and it can scare the hell out of you.
    We've used both, and the coverage of the dually setup is much more comforting.

20. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Thanks !

21. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Several truck cultures here. The majority of lifted 4wd trucks never leave the pavement. I had a 1993 Ford Ranger. Swapped in fills size axles, regeared, lockers, custom driveshafts with double cardan U joints. 13" of lift with 36" tires. Lots of fun on the mud and on the trails. Lots of jeeps are hardcore off roaders, but mostly the older ones. The new four door jeeps mostly traverse parking lots.
    Here in the south it's all about mud. Massive horsepower and tractor tires on 2 1/2 ton axles. Biggest truck wins bragging rights usually.
    Northeast and out west it's about rock crawling. Takes a lot of skill and the build of the truck/ jeep is very important. Body damage is likely. But it's a lot of fun.
    Then the south west has desert running. Speed, jumps, and mostly just racing around the dunes and desert. Inspiration for the Ford Raptor.
    Trucks have become a status symbol here. Have to have a diesel, has to be lifted and 4wd if you want to becool it seems. But there are still a lot of them that get used for work every day.

22. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think out in the Northwest it's all about pulling power. How many pounds can you tow behind the truck. Romantic images of big trucks pulling big campers and boats around. So you get conversations like:

"This thing can pull 32,000 pounds, which is a pretty big boat."

"Yeah, but you don't have a boat."

"True, but when I do, it'll pull it."

23. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    People get their trucks lifted for practical reasons (lots of off roading) or looks. If you have property or work construction, you have a truck. Most are used for their intended purpose without being lifted. Then we have the BroDozers.

24. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Always love the guy that's got the 3/4 ton diesel to tow his jetski:D

But just like every other car scene, you have your extremes. Now my 4wd just has the biggest tires I can fit stock, and leave it at that. Still use it in the woods for hunting and work on my property. Towels the boat around the state. Haul wood and whatever else.
    I'll always have a truck.

25. eastwest7

eastwest7 Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    roseville,ca
    A common term is mall crawlers at least here in northern ca. Monster lifted diesels and such but won't see a spec a dirt. I'm amazed at the kind of money that's in some of those trucks. Cant talk too much smack, they can run over most of us!