NASCAR 2016 | Page 17 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2016

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tervuren, Feb 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I've never gotten that impression. I knew some fans that were against the idea of allowing Toyota in (of course I pointed out they're built here and the dealerships and employees are American) but now don't even give it a thought. The article doesn't even mention that as a reason 'cept for the one man's letter. Where is this near unanimous, xenophobic, fan base?
    I've even watched some races out in Davie (pickemup truck, "cowboy" town west of Fort Lauderdale, for the unenlightened) and don't hear that sentiment.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    This is not the first time that laying blame for all of NASCAR's ills has been blamed on
    Toyota's participation. And, reading the responses is very much part of the article as the
    original writer opened it up for such comments.

Toyota came to NASCAR as a Truck participant in 2004 which got their foot in the door. There
    was a lot of excitement in the Toyota community then but there was backlash from those
    whom think that NASCAR is supposed to be for U.S. based manufacturers Ford, Dodge, Chevy,
    Buick, whatever, even though most Toyotas are built in the U.S. whereas the aforementioned
    manufactures are building their cars in Canada and Mexico.

We don't need to go through all of the aspects of NASCAR that have led to their declining
    viewership and lackluster ticket sales and a few of the respondents have important points
    to make such as ticket prices, mandatory three night stays at local hotels, etc. as reasons
    they're no longer attending.

Others correctly point out the absurd "Chase", pointless season points standings and constantly
    changing rules. These are all relevant but blaming Toyota's participation is pure folly and grasping
    for a conspiracy where none exists.

BHW

3. Again, I know the history. I thought I was clear but maybe not.
    More succinctly...

Where is this near unanimous, xenophobic, fan base that thinks Toyota is the root of all the things wrong with NASCAR?

4. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    So did anyone watch the debacle today when a caution came out during green flag pit stops? Took forever to figure out the running order whether you agree with it our not.

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Hate it when that happens, it's always a mess...unfortunately got called into work today.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Having not seen the incident (happy to say I haven't seen one lap of one NASCAR race in
    going on three years now), the artcile I read about this latest NASCAR debacle says that
    Edwards blew a tire which brought out a caution whilst several contenders were in the pits
    on green flag stops and others had to pit as they were nearly out of fuel in the ensuing chaos.

If Edwards' blown tire showered debris all over the track and he slammed the wall or
    something, that would be one thing. But, if he just cut a tire and was limping to the
    pits for repairs, that's quite another.

The comments section of the Motorsport.com article reveals that there were cars that
    were laps (plural) down and magically, were on the lead lap or even in the top five after
    the nearly half hour situation.

I'd have to watch it before casting aspersions. But, knowing how NASCAR loves to tinker
    (manipulate) with things on the track to produce a melancholy finish and all this XX amount
    of cars all running on the lead lap nose to tail, hammer and tongs so they may gloat about
    how close their brand of racing is, should this be any surprise?

Okay, I'm casting aspersions.

NASCAR requires record 29-lap caution to fix scoring issue at Martinsville

BHW

7. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Yep, blown tire, hit wall, drove straight into the pits with it. Hamlin was running somewhere around 10th I believe and had done a green flag stop so was close to a lap (if not a lap) down. However the guys that still needed to pit and were in front of him did so under caution and Hamlin went to the lead. Then they had the wave around and cars multiple laps down in front of lead lap cars in the line up. It took probably 20min of caution just to figure out the running order. They kept moving cars up and then back then getting ready to go green and nope more shuffling to do. Horrible.

8. There's a painless way to enjoy NASCAR if it's that bothersome....... ;)
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    v
    Don't. :p

(had to, it's genetic)

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end...."

lorenzobandini

9. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Real good one today, caught the second half. No real chase drama, just a good solid race.

Glad to see a Penske advance. Looks like the #19 was a guaranteed advance from winning something a race or two ago, no idea. Only missing the #2 to have the three cars I pull for in the final four.

it was very very close to being 3 JGR's against one Hendrick.

10. No Chase drama? Wuz I watchin' a replay from a different year? :confused:

Right up to the final caution the final entry to the chase was up for grabs....:(

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Couldn't have been scripted any better, egh?

BHW

12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It was Bowman's race today. Sloppy restarts by veterans took that away.

13. Again, why? :confused:

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Because NASCAR can't help themselves, that's why...

The sporting aspect went out the window years ago in favor of what they call
    "manufactured drama" (Bruton Smith's words, not mine).

BHW

15. My "again...why?" is in regard to your torturing yourself. If you detest it so much, why give it the time of day? :D

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    15 seconds out of my day ain't no big deal...

BHW

17. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    There were TV advertisements non in audio level sync with the program, kinda ear painful. I put on some German symphonic progressive metal and enjoyed the race immensely.

I also like how Kyle Busch played it smart at the end, by giving Joey, who had a short run car, the preferred lane, Kyle shut out Kevin Harvick from a win. This meant Kyle got in on points. Smart move, I'm impressed, Kyle has really matured.

18. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    While Barton is a buddy of mine, I would like to thank you Andrew, for your opinions and insights. F-1 sucked so much more this season than NASCAR. With that said, "GO ERIK JONES, GO!"

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    These NASCAR grand finales have become so laughingly predictable, it's beyond embarrassing.

The final four (we'll call them "The #1", "The #2", "The #3" and "The #4" since the announcers are
    too lazy to call the drivers by their names) may not all qualify in the top four slots but, rest assured,
    after the first round of phantom yellow pit stops, BINGO, there they will all be, "#1" first, "#2" second,
    "#3" third and "#4" fourth nose-to-tail, duking it out so far out front of the rest of the field that they'll
    look as though they're in a class all to themselves.

Then, the driver who's had the most melancholy drama filled road to "The Chase" will be granted
    most favorable status from the locked booth high above the track and deemed champion.

The heavy hand of NASCAR shamelessly manipulates race results to script a championship
    finale which they think will earn them the best possible TV ratings and what is left of their
    core viewership eats it up with a spoon.

If they could figure a way to coronate Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Jr. Jr. champion and get away
    with it, they'd do it.

BHW

20. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    That is what happened the first season of this format, but not last season.

Jeff Gordan had a setup for single lap speed, but not long term race pace, every long run he'd slip further and further back. Truex, just didn't have the horse power in his car, amazing he even got in to that final four.

Who knows what it will bring.

At least Phoenix, the two car's that transferred in would of done so by points even without a race win lock in.

For me its tough to choose who to cheer for between Carl Edwards, and Joey Logano.

Hendrick Motorsports has a way of being so fast they shoot themselves in the holster sometimes, in this new format, its hard to rely on them to win a championship.

It remains to be seen whether I'll watch the race or not. I do like the track, old pavement, a real driver's track.

21. 'Just for your edification, it's would've (as in would have), not would of...a common, yet no less wrong, mistake. :p ;)

22. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Well Dern, I think a cow muster drerped sermtin' on dat dere page when I was doin' my schoolin'.

Thanks. :)

23. Allright BW...errr...I mean tv....you don't have to make fun of the NASCRAP fans..... :mad:

Your welcome, nonetheless. ;)

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Based on previously posted criteria for melancholy finishes, Logano has to be the
    NASCAR's pick to win the championship.

Logano driving for Penske in Penske's 50th year in racing which also won the Indy Car
    title (going 1-2-3 in the process) it just seems all too, well, convenient that a NASCAR
    championship would go into Penske's trophy case as well.

Are we taking odds?

BHW

25. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good

The main purpose of the "Chase" format is to sell tickets and put butts in seats, by keeping the championship undetermined until the last race. The teams have too much money invested to allow NASCAR to script the outcome a la WWE wrestling. Do you honestly think the highly competitive drivers are going to "take a fall and hit the wall" and enable someone from another team win, because Mr France tells them, "We'll take care of you next race?" There are just too many components to support the conspiracy you keep suggesting. Each team strives to do their best in order to keep their sponsors.

By the way, you are welcome to crash at my place, if you are interested in coming up for the F-1 demo at DIS next month.