Alfa USA/Canada 2015/2016 A new beginning | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Alfa USA/Canada 2015/2016 A new beginning

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by F1tommy, Dec 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Especially a V6 Quadrifoglio Sportwagen.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #577 F1tommy, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Thelovelyrock18

Thelovelyrock18 Karting

Feb 15, 2016
    I heard they will build next 7 seats larger SUV after this in 2018 and the 5 series sedan might depend on the success of the SUV :(

4. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I was at The Classic Motor show at the NEC in Birmingham (UK) this weekend and they had a Giulia on the Alfa stand (I know it's not even available here yet never mind classic :D).

It's a very nice car to sit in. The materials used on this (mid range trim) car are superb. Love the dash design though a rather large looking infotainment screen, but I'm told that's quite normal in cars today?.
    I love the sweeping dash design which reminds me a little of a late Ferrari styled dash.
    The car has been likened to a BMW 5 series, at least on some UK sites. Well in the metal it certainly does not look BMW at all. In fact the car looked smaller than I thought.

The salesman was keen for my details but you'd expect that. Says they will be getting cars in this side of Christmas but I'm sure he said 25 cars. I hope that was one dealership and not all (though 25 seems excessive for one).

This car they were demonstrating was also left hand drive so obviously not for the UK market. What I did find interesting was the on-line configuration I used here suggested the flapping paddles were a £1000 option, he said the configuration I used was based on European and the UK that option would only be £280. Apparently he said the UK configurator (made up word :D) was wrong. Seems odd and I'm not sure I believe any of it. Those paddles were metal and not plastic (are they on plastic normally on cars?) and the whole car felt very well put together.

The car was a diesel not a QF (I'm not in the market for a QF) and he said he now believed the 'regular' models would arrive here before the QF. Was that for my benefit? I don't know.

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The UK launch is this coming weekend Malc and cars will be on display in dealer showrooms from Saturday 19th November. The regular models will arrive here in greater numbers than the QF so he wasn't giving you bad info. UK QF deliveries appear to have slipped back mainly into March next year. The shift paddles are a £275 option in the UK.

6. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Also had a similar impression of the interior and find it odd that some journos critisized the cheap plastic parts.

7. that boy asad

that boy asad Rookie

May 24, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shahir
    Those were all pre-production models, as the actual production cars have address the issue

8. that boy asad

that boy asad Rookie

May 24, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shahir
    Wow, I'm surprised to know they will have a Quadrifoglio version on the SUV

That Carbon Strut Bar looks amazing though!

9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    A few friends and acquaintances looked at the same car. One said it was all great at eye level but below where you normally don't look it was cheap hard plastic. One even mentioned the door cards being cheap. The driver's door was open so when I was sat in the car I never noticed however I did not notice it looking cheap when stood opposite that open door chatting to a salesman.
    I currently own a 159 with a cream leather interior. As ever, IMO Italy do leather better than most and in my 159 the materials used look rather good. Maybe I'm too much of an Alfa fan.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #586 F1tommy, Nov 16, 2016
    Kind of a shame this is what people want now. Sitting up high makes them feel good along with room for shopping. Taking a corner at high speed in this compared to the regular Giulia will put them in their place. It also has a slower top speed because it is a less aerodynamic and heavier(and Alfa put a limit on it due to the vehicles high speed handling limitations:). The V6 Turbo Stelvio Should give Porsche and Maserati some competition with their SUV's.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Looks aside, it should be one hell of a truck with a slick chassis and powerful engine to put the germans in their place. Alfa needs headlines, this should do the trick.

The interior looks nice and improved on the Giulia, apparently it has android auto and apple car play too.

Well done

12. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    While it's not as sumptuous as some other rivals, I find journalists harp on the Giulia plastics a bit too much. New entry level BMW's use cheap plastics as well, somehow its rarely mentioned.

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The Jaguar XE will only offer manual on the wimpy 2.0T bottom of the line version and not on the 3.0 supercharged V6's. Cadillac also only offers manuals on the 4C Turbo and not on their all alloy 24V V6 normally aspirated 3.6 versions. All the rest of these cars are offered with 8 speed auto's. I wish they would offer them as manuals but the 8 speed auto's are getting a lot better. And paddle shifters are also pretty good.

14. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    #590 MacGeek, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Giulia 280hp launch stock should be complete by this week. Mix of RWD and AWD cars, and base and TI.

15. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    I'm driving a test Giulia this week and, as much as I hoped that I'd like it, it didn't happen. Simply it doesn't ring the bells in same manner as (to me) 156 and 159 did.
    It is a 6-speed manual with 180 HP diesel engine. Performance is adequate, steering very direct but not nearly as „natural“ in driving feel like previous models.
    Don't like the gearbox, could be quite hard to get the right gear, especially when it is cold, and reverse is close to 1st gear so you may make a mistake too easy.
    Also, almost each time you reach for gearlever you accidentaly press the mail button for the central display and change something on it.
    Clutch pedal is a bit tight when driving in winter shoes.
    As for quality, ok at the first sight but definitely some things to get improved.
    I was waiting for someone outside and leaned on the car in rear dors area just to jump out as I heard really nasty crushing sound.
    No traces left but you can hear it even if you press the back doors with your hand…
    Front doors don't provoke such sound but they are obviously from completely different material.

But nothing of that is the reason why I don't like it enough – it's the lack of feeling.
    156 and 159 always felt just right in more or less the every relevant area, here I simply don't feel right, don't feel special.

16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    In the UK this weekend it's an Alfa 'open day'. I have been invited but the dealer is over the Pennines and I don't fancy the trip but there is a much more local dealer to me. I may go and see.

Your post is interesting though. I expect it to be better than the 159 (I have a 2.4 Tractor :D) and though it's diesel the 5 pot motor sounds pretty good on full chat. However I do not want another oil burner and fancy at least the 2.0 Turbo.

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    More Alfa news:

" Thus, the arrival of the Giulia Sport wagon now is certain and will be seen next year in Geneva, then in the course of 2017 to be launched. It is according to Alfa-tradition a real Sport wagon, in wich extra space has less priority (Though it will be more spacious than the 159 Sportwagon). The green light for this variant is linked to two facts; The good sales figures since the advent of the sedan, plus the European market, particularly in Italy."

"The Giulietta-successor will not yet appear on the market until 2019. "

" Alfa's next project after the Stelvio, is again a bigger SUV. "

"The Giulia shows the ideal basis, but the expected lower sales numbers of a coupé or Spider, ensure that the priority currently clearly lies elsewhere until 2020. Moreover, in connection with the arrival of these models, will also no longer produce the 4C from 2020."

https://www.autoedizione.nl/bigland-belooft-alfa-romeo-giulia-sportwagon-en-andere-modellen/

18. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    From a business perspective, this makes sense and I honestly think they will sell many Giulia's and Stelvio's.

People doubted Maserati's industrial plan and look at them now, from 6000 units in 2013 to over 45k this year with the Levante.

We may not agree with some of Sergio's decision, styling or other factors, but I'm glad to be able to buy and own Italian cars on North American soil again, from a lowly Fiat to Ferrari.

It's a great time to be alive.

19. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    What are the sales figures in Europe? How much of production has been sold?

20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #596 F1tommy, Nov 17, 2016
    From the Giulia thread.........

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No 4c after 2020? Thats when they will end the production run with the 2.0l 280hp Giulia motor and call it the "Final Edition".

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Or better yet the 350 HP 2.0 Hybrid Veloce America engine they are working on now for the Giulia/Stelvio. With all the extra electrics and an extra battery that 4C would weigh 2700lbs for the N.A. market I bet. That would all happen before 2020 I would guess. The 4C design will need a refresh soon, maybe for 2018.

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think the Coupe ends in MY 2018 because of new regs. The Convertible is exempt so it might continue on.

24. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    #600 AbarthDave1, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Jim Ellis in Atlanta is going to be selling the new Guilia's. I know that Fiat of Morrow is currently selling the 4c's. I don't think Jim Ellis has a Fiat dealership. Seems a bit odd.
    He does have a Maserati dealership though. Looks like Fiat maybe moving it's sales to Maserati. Alfa that is. Follow me?:)

Dave