625 TRC recreation | FerrariChat

625 TRC recreation

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by 2006scinta, Sep 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2006scinta

2006scinta Rookie

May 31, 2011
    #1 2006scinta, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 2006scinta

2006scinta Rookie

May 31, 2011
    #2 2006scinta, Sep 25, 2016
  3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Subscribed!

4. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Do you sell the body separately?

Thank you

5. 2006scinta

2006scinta Rookie

May 31, 2011
    #5 2006scinta, Sep 29, 2016
  6. 2006scinta

2006scinta Rookie

May 31, 2011
    #6 2006scinta, Sep 29, 2016
  7. 2006scinta

2006scinta Rookie

May 31, 2011
    #7 2006scinta, Sep 29, 2016
  8. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Nice!! Do you sell these when completed?

9. 2006scinta

2006scinta Rookie

May 31, 2011
    I can complete a car or just sell as is.

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Do you have any pictures of cars, regardless of make, that you have finished?

Shawn

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    250 GTO B pillar is too straight up or vertical ... pity as shape is otherwise considerably better than many other replicas.
    Pete

12. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    I see a ton of flaws in the bodies. Headlights are not sym, but hey it's still amazing work. And I could not do it..

13. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rebodies of old chassis or new chassis?
    Beautiful work!

Not symmetrical ? Don't you remember the old scaglietti saying you only see one side at a time?

14. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    no, but thanks for that! I am new to the classics. After watching some vids on youtube, I am slowly coming around to how the early ones were made. Incredible.

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    2006scinta, I have been examining your pictures here on F-chat and some of the other web sites that you have posted listing your bodies for sale. They certainly seem worthy of more response. I am impressed. But I have a few questions. Exactly how are you getting the dimensions for the construction of the metal panels? Do you have a super accurate blueprint of each car that you work from? I doubt that anybody could produce such impressive replica bodies by just looking at a few pictures from some coffee table Ferrari books. Surely you must have more accurate dimensions as your working reference. How are you actually forming the sub-panels? Are you using a wooden form or “buck” to beat the panels into shape or an English wheel? Or a combination of both? Exactly what type of aluminum alloy and thickness are you using for the body panels? Are you TIG or MIG welding the subpanels together? Do the bodies include a complete inner floor pan when completed? Can you manufacture a body to the EXACT CORRECT wheelbase dimension of the original car? Which leads me to my specific question. Have you ever made a body for the 250LM? It has a wheelbase of 94.5 inches and a mid-engine chassis that would have to be duplicated specifically.
    So, to review: Would it be possible to create a 250LM body EXACTLY? Also, you showed several photos of a 57 Testarossa. Would it be possible to build another 57 Testarossa body with the EXACT wheelbase dimension of the original car? Your 57TR certainly looks accurate but you didn’t specifically mention many details about it.
    I have always like the possibility of building a replica of one of the vintage cars, but the lack of an accurate aluminum body has been a damper on the project. Accurate frames of the correct dimensions would be fairly easy to duplicate. A useable V12 Ferrari motor would be easy enough to find so that the replica would have the “heart of the beast”. But without an accurate aluminum alloy body the project goes nowhere. For me, the thought of using Corvette frames and fiberglass bodies on a Ferrari replica doesn’t really feel right. Your project bodies stir up many exciting possibilities. More info please.

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    HORSEFLY!!!!!
    Where have you been man? You used to stir up some serious controversy in the old days...!
    Your first post in ..... how many years??
    Welcome back!

17. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Horsefly, welcome back. Put on your old avatar and get to work!

john

18. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    First post in over 7 years. I PMed to Rob the other day and he reinstated my last 4 years of unused Rossa subscription. So thanks Rob. Bad economy and other factors have kept me laying low. I stumbled across a 328GTS that was up for auction and failed to latch onto it because the owner was playing several people along. I needed info so started lurking again. And Rob was gracious enough to anty up the unused time on my subscription from the past few years.

I was most impressed that somebody here in USA was actually beating panels and producing some strikingly accurate vintage Ferrari bodies. The wheels in my brain started turning.

Good to be back on a limited (available WIFI) basis. I will have to work on the avatar. Maybe time for a new one.

Lets see some more pics and info on those replica aluminum bodies.

19. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I really like the pontoon TR! When I first saw one at an auto show that hooked me up as a little kid. I don't really know much about vintage Fcars but I have always loved them since seeing the first TR.

Keep the information and pictures coming.

20. 2006scinta

2006scinta Rookie

May 31, 2011
    #21 2006scinta, Nov 8, 2016
    Thanks for the compliment and interest.
    I actually do build them mostly by eye. I know there are companies that can print out cross sections that can be converted into ribs to make a buck. I just don't have the resourses to do that.
    I figured out a different way by pictures and by eye to get them somewhat close.
    I use thicker aluminum than they did then and by others that do this now so my bodies are a lot stronger.
    These bodies are not finished being shaped and formed so they look off.
    I'm not trying to replicate anything exactly like they were but more of my interpretation of what they were.
    I tig weld them and the aluminum is a 3000 series .063 thickness.
    I also hand hammer all the panels to get the shape. No power tools.
    I would like to build any and all Ferrari models. I'm probably the biggest fan there is.
    One day I want to build one for myself. I started a P/4 but haven't done anything to it in a while.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Thanks for the info. You really should subscribe and become an F-chat member with your talents. Also, when you are a subscribed member, you can send Private Messages (PM) to any other member. Kinda like an "in house" e-mail. Is your unfinished P4 built on an original wheelbase dimension? And sorry to ask again,....do your finished bodies have an original type floorpan? I had several relatives in the aircraft manufacturing business and still have several giant sheets of aircraft aluminum stacked among my junk. Not sure of their type or thickness. But I've always wondered what kind of body I or somebody could create out of them. What is the status of the P4 body? Labor of love? For sale perhaps? Please post some more pics of it. I also saw on another website that you had made a Ferrari 64 GTO replica. Any pics of it? Do you have any completed bodies up for sale at this time? (Some of your other website listings might be old even though I just recently saw them.)

22. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Seriously, welcome back. I dropped out and returned before you even came back!

23. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Awesome work! And thanks for explaining the fundamental way you build your bodies. Don't understand the pity comment......they are incredible pieces. Please keep posting pictures of all of your projects.

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Welcome back!