I've got another red car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I've got another red car

Discussion in '308/328' started by kcabpilot, Nov 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    He is still working on it. He borrowed my timing light to confirm all the plugs were firing rhythmically. He was going to do that today or tomorrow.

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Having your car half disassembled is no excuse for missing Cars & Coffee.

Looks nice and clean underneath: always a good sign.

Glad you're addressing the fuel hose; you don't want to take chances with that. Mine looked fine when I first got my car: changed them anyway.

3. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    A beauty :) Enjoy her!

4. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Looks great. Have you ever made a thread about the Alfa?

Aaron

5. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Congrats on getting a nice example! Since you have her up, there are a couple of spacers on that rear bumper that can be removed to push the "rear diving platform" in a couple of inches. Four properly sized bushes from Lowes used as spacers will allow you to bolt it all back up without having to further tap the bumper studs. Also, a spare pair of drilled bumper shocks will allow that front bumper to slide in as well. Both will make the car more attractive, and the modifications will be fully reversible.

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #31 kcabpilot, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yea I was just looking at the bumpers last night trying to figure out a plan.

I did have a rather long thread on the Alfabb called "164S Reinstatement" that I started when I bought my black '91 S about three years ago. I also bought the red one (yes, I have two of them) a couple of months later because it was only a few blocks from my house and the guy practically gave it to me. I've used them both as a daily commuter tag-team since and have put just under 40,000 miles on each (my commute is 600 miles per week)

I can't figure out how to post a link here on Fchat but here's the address:

164S Reinstatement - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

It's kind of a saga spanning two years, 60 pages and 887 posts but my black S is probably one of the nicest ones left. Beautiful cruiser that makes devine sounds and probably the best bargain in Alfas at this time, very under appreciated and a well kept secret. The red one has just been a real workhorse that, believe it or not, I got for $1500. Have not done much of anything to that car but it's overdue for timing belt now which is just as critical on 164's as it is on 308's.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    On my 308 - I'm going to replace fuel lines and filter, do an oil change and see if I can get the parking brake to work, although research seems to indicate it's not easy to obtain success in that department. I also need to figure out the battery hold down. I'm assuming it's not supposed to be just sitting in there like mine is with nothing holding it down.

Job #1 for today is figuring out how to drain the tanks without getting gas all over myself. I can see a drain plug in the crossover but I'll probably have to get a big funnel or something to catch it.

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    You just have to look at the lack of a functioning parking brake as a "charming quirk" of 308 design. I don't know how I could ever parallel park the 308 on one of those massively steep San Francisco streets.

If you are replacing fuel hoses, another way to drain the gas is to use two vice-grip pliers as hemostats on the hose between the left tank and fuel pump then cut the hose between the two clamps. Another way (I've never tried) is using the fuel pump to pump out the gas by disconnecting the fuel line at the CIS unit and disconnecting the roll-over safety switch also on the CIS unit.

9. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    It sounds like you have the perfect attitude to own a Ferrari but I am slightly concerned that you are averaging less than 5mph so far ;-)

The handbrake (as we Brits call it) is just for show. You can get it to hold the car on a gentle slope, but if you are going into SF you will definitely need chocks.

The battery is held down with a bent metal bracket and a through bolt that clamps the foot of the battery to the tray. You should have a tapped hole in the tray where the clamp fits. The bracket is more-or-less a piece of flat metal with a hole in it, so it should be easy to improvise. [EDIT]Actually that's on a gt4 but a GTB/GTS is probably the same[/EDIT]

10. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    nice to see my ex-308 finally has new home in the California sun! Nice speaking to you Paul - stay in touch; let me know if i can help in any way. One thing i always did after a drive was used the quick disconnect and unplugged the battery. Just a persinal preference, but its a nice option...
    Kevin

11. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    but, but radio presets....

12. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    radio and speakers are garbage from that era; not even worth listening to. Great story - my wife & I were driving one night a few years ago and she had the country station on, halfway through a song, she said 'is this a different version of this song? It sounds different'; i replied, nope its just crappy 30 year old audio technology......

13. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I've got a great mini-system in mine. I know everyone says just enjoy the engine sounds, and I do LOVE the way mine sounds, but I like having a nice stereo. But my 308 is more of a resto-mod than an original car anyway.

Aaron

14. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    #39 Wolfgang5150, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    fyi - two things - forgot to add the parking brake only worked on the last notch for me also.....i also kept a fire extinguisher behind the passenger seat that was easy to grab (just in case!); a small one fits perfectly there....

15. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I like the 164's. I had a L that went in partial trade for the SS that got sold for the 308. Wouldn't mind having a LS or Q variant. :D

16. 77GTB

77GTB Rookie

Oct 14, 2014
    East Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congrats on the purchase of a great looking car! Looking forward to seeing it at the next Blackhawk C&C.

The "Chris" above is 77GTB and the car is a GTB, not GTS!

17. mjw02

mjw02 Karting

Nov 14, 2014
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Congrats... I saw your car a few weeks back too.

18. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    If weather is nice, I'd like to do the cars and coffee thing in Blackhawk in December. It will be nice to meet the friendly folks here on FChat.

19. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    This worked really well. I also jacked up the passenger side for good measure. The fuel left when I pulled the crossover plug was minimal.

20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    After looking at the schematics it looks to me like all I need to do is clamp the hose and disconnect it. Some fuel will drain from the pump and accumulator but I can catch that with an oil drain pan, then I can use the fuel line with clamp to drain the tanks into Jerry cans.

Is there a filter in the tank outlet? The parts diagram I'm looking at says it's superseded.