What got you in to Ferrari | FerrariChat

What got you in to Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by clarkson, Nov 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clarkson

clarkson Rookie

Jan 11, 2009
    Devon UK
    Full Name:
    clarkson lock
    It was passion for me!
    My story begins in the late sixties,going to races with my dad,and falling for everything Ferrari.
    In 1974 as a young apprentice panel beater at a shop in Wokingham Berkshire UK, every Saturday I would have to clean the shop and car park, behind the shop there was a riding school,and most Saturday's a guy would drop his daughter off to lessons, in a red 246 GTS, VPL 482M Love at first sight.
    After about a year he stopped coming in the Dino, and I forgot about it, a couple of years later, I had to go a get a sheet of steel for a job we needed to finish, our usual supplier was shut, I remembered a place right in the middle of town that made some kind of drying machines and thought I'll give them a try, what was in the corner under a pile of rubbish, the Dino!
    It's the bosses car said the guy I got the steel from, it broke down and been here since.
    I got the bosses number and bought the car, £1200 quid it was 1978, Didn't know what was wrong with it just had to have it.
    Back in the work shop I just sat and looked at it my god it's mine.
    My mate who worked in the mechanic shop next door came and had a look, after an hour or so he had it running, but as soon as he opened the throttle it stopped, he worked out there was a switch mounted on the throttle linkage if I remember,and that switch changed to a different set of points I think, new switch and bingo!
    It's was 5 years old and rusty, re did the body and loved that car, helped with the girls to, I was 19.
    If any one has VPL do let me know, I could tell you some stories.
    Quite a few Ferraris have come and gone, but that one is special.
    Clark

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The mystique. And Magnum PI

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    3 years old, already knew the name of evry car i saw, a ferrari passed by I asked my father what it was he said ferrari. This was 1968 so probably a 275, it was brown or gold, it spoke to me.

4. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  5. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Miami vice.

6. clarkson

clarkson Rookie

Jan 11, 2009
    Devon UK
    Full Name:
    clarkson lock
    Perfect

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    In the late 70s, as a teenage boy, I was visiting my uncle in Sausalito with my family, we're from Texas. Down by the ferry, in the parking lot, I saw a Dino for the the first time, one of the 246 variants. I was totally taken aback by its incredible styling, so different from what I had seen before. Soon after, Magnum PI aired on CBS, and the 308 hooked me forever. Since then, I've owned 2 308s and 2 328s. I'm currently without a Ferrari, but hope to get a 360 soon. That's my story--so far!

Greg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

8. hhibbett

hhibbett Karting

Aug 24, 2008
    Magnum PI, and then the mystique.

9. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    The cartoon Speed Racer (for years, my parents blamed SR for starting my addiction), enabled by Non getting me the book World of racing: Sights and sounds of international motor racing from the ubiquitous Amway, when I was 9. The cutaways and technical specs hooked me on the mechanics of all things racing, and the beauty of the form/function. The book had track maps, and a 45 with the sounds, narrated by Graham Hill, IIRC. Doing homework under a LeMans movie poster didn't help, either, and I got to see the movie and its Porsche/Ferrari battles. The first magazine I bought for myself was the R&T featuring the new 308, but by then, I was drawing cars in class.

Fast forward to about 1978 or 1979, and one of Dad's business associates/clients had several buildings downtown, including what had been the Texas & Pacific Railway warehouse building, so I had free run inside of it when I wanted. He had a Ferrari collection spread all over the building - a couple of cars in one section of a floor, a half-dozen tucked over in a corner of another, a line of several somewhere else..... Sometime around 1980/81, I found that the basement contained what he called TART (after NART) for his hobby of banging around old race cars. (I've mentioned here the near-painful story of his colorful offering to get rid of a "GDed POS" pontoon-fendered TR, with a spare engine for $10K).

Getting to see and feel the lines, hear the sounds, inhale the smells, when everything outside in the everyday world was comparatively bland or downright hideous, hooked me.
    Hasn't let go since.

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    My Father is guilty of getting me into Ferrari.... and F1 and cars, and racing, and models, and watches, and ..... etc....

My earliest ever memory is of being at Watkins Glenn for the F-1 race - probably 1969 - 1970... I think it was 69 when Fittipaldi won...

my dad had a Porsche and a brand new Lotus at the time - Europa S2... So I just thought that was the coolest car - then saw a Dino, and then a 330 P3/P4... it was like Wow... what's that.. and I was hooked. then the sound of the F-1 cars - Matra was first, then Ferrari... and as I learned about the old man and the road cars etc... it became an obsession... then a passion. Its some where in between that today.

11. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    As a young boy, being glued to the telly watching Nigel Mansell muscling his Ferrari 640 around various circuits in the 1989 F1 season.

12. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Two streets over from my parents' house was the equivalent of any city's Marine Drive - houses generally situated on a hill/cliff with ocean view. One of the houses was on a big property, but it had an open carport facing the street. I used to drive by that house every day on my way to school, and in the carport were about 7 or 8 cars - A Jag, Range Rover, Bentley Arnage, Porsche 911, and a 512TR or Testarossa. All black. That setup spoke to me.

13. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    A key get me in it;)

In all seriousness. Idk. I grew up around cars and go-fast powerboats.
    I like many cars and so did both my father and mother. My father introduced me to the wonderful world of exotic cars back when I was a kid. My first experience I remember was a 1975 911 2,7 MFI he bought used in 1978 when I was 4. I remember he wanted to take me for ice cream when he brought it home. However my mother almost ruined sports cars for me by telling me how an super fast and extreme racer it was. I guess she thought her son would love the fact that his dad got a really fast car...
    She did this so well in fact, that the poor guy almost had to drag me into the thing, kicking and screaming in sheer terror:D
    The other was a 1986 Testarossa he bought from a friend in 1991. The interesting thing is that my father was not really a Ferrari guy. He always liked the Testarossa, but the rest never seemed to interest him - at all!
    He is first and foremost a Porsche guy and no car in his mind will ever look as good or be as interesting or exotic as a 356 Speedster. But I caught a heavy dose of the Ferrari bug and a bit of the Porsche thing too, and have stayed infected ever since. Unfortunately my brother caught the Lamborghini bug and we must with heavy hearts realize he's beyond saving;)

14. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As a very young kid, I always had an affinity for cars. My mom tells stories that even I don't remember of me being wide eyed, pointing and shouting "Look! A Porsche!" At the wise old age of 5 or 6.

Those early years were spent growing up in a godawful little town in the middle of nowhere. Racing was something that rich people did, and it happened in far, far away places. Nothing I would ever see.

Then Villeneuve hit the scene, and CBC started airing the occasional race, because now there was a Canadian in it. At last I could see it on TV. I was hooked. And the Ferraris always sounded the best. Even on TV I could pick out the Ferrari engine note.

Some time after that, on a weekend trip to the big city (Calgary) I stood up close to a 308. A real Ferrari. In the flesh. I remember being struck by how small it was. I don't know what I expected, but I was surprised.

I don't know that there was any one moment when a red light went off and I said to myself "I'm going to have one of those." But by the time I stood up close to my first one that weekend in Calgary, it was already a given in my mind that one day I would.

15. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I was around 8 years old and recently moved to Switzerland (that was in 84 or 85...). My parents took me to a gas station to top up on fuel, and there I saw on sale a red 308 (1984) GTO (that's what is written underneath), a 1/18 model by Bburago.

Most beautiful car I ever saw. My parents bought me the model. I still have it :)

Told myself on that day that in my future, I will own a Ferrari. Ended up getting a 360 this year, but do love the look of the 3x8's. Maybe one day?

16. Garvin

Garvin Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Cambridgeshire
    I've always been into cars ever since seeing a photo of a Lamborghini Miura as a young lad which rapidly became a poster on my bedroom wall! I liked all manner of cars whilst 'growing up' but never had a particular 'lust' for a Ferrari until seeing an F355 'in the flesh' in early '96. It stopped me in my tracks and I just decided there and then that this was the car for me, even though I had no chance of affording one back then. Move on to 2010 and I finally decided to acquire one. It took two years to find the 'right one' but the long term dream was achieved in July 2012. It is a keeper.

17. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    Magazine article in the 1950s..... hooked!

18. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #18 Ron328, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    I read in a 1984 issue of Car and Driver an article about the 288 GTO ( I was 20 years old). It was the most beautiful exotic car (and still is in my book) I've ever seen. It was $84k at the time. That sealed my passion for the marque but I never thought I'd own a Ferrari.
    In summer of 2002, I was walking in St Louis and saw a red TR parked on the street. I was awed. 6 mos later, I acquired my first Ferrari, a '89 328 GTS.

19. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Fchat played a large role actually. I've always had an interest in cars starting with American muscle cars as that was what we had in high school at the time. Then I joined Fchat when I was 21 and still in college, was able to go to some events, meet owners, and take part in a great community when I was just a poor college kid sealed the deal for me. Fast forward 11 years and was able to be in a position to get my first

20. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Magnum... and the door handle.

21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Born car crazy. Knew every street car by year as a 7 yr old. Hot wheels were my number 1 toy. However, didn't know anything about ferrari until steve mcqueen movie lemans. Saw it on tv so must've been around 1971 when I was about 11. I loved that periscope rear view mirror along with the sound on the 512. Rooted for it to beat the 917s too. Addicted ever since

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Miami Vice. I loved the Daytona Spyder (real one and replica), but the second Crockett was introduced to his White Testarossa........game over.

Circa 1991 I drove past the Ferrari dealer in Salt Lake and saw a white TR with black interior on the showroom floor. They wouldnt let me touch it let alone sit in it. Fast forward to 2005 I bought a White and Black TR......After checking the books, it was the same car I oggled at in 1991. I could have been another 1991 White Black sold around the same time at that smaller dealership, but I doubt it. Since sold it and got a 1990 white with tan interior. Perfection.

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I had no choice, It was already in my blood. I was born with it.
    In the early 70's, we had a Muira, Ghibli Spider and a Daytona Spider. I kept calling the Daytona "My Car".

24. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Car mag's Motor Sport and Road &Track, F I on Tv in the 60's color TV made the Red of Ferrari
    stand out from the rest, And then came the GTO..

25. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    As a boy, i was watching BPR Championship. Once i saw the F40 LM...i felt in love. That was the beginning!