550 Performance thread | FerrariChat

550 Performance thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatbillybob, Oct 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #1 fatbillybob, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Peter seems to be going down the performance drain pipe. John has invested in the 6.0L V12. Lets start a 550 performance thread going lighter, unlocking horse power, improving suspension, bigger brakes and anything else. If you want the 599GTO of Maranellos this thread is for you.

Today I finally finished putting back on my double adjustable moton shocks, springs, and stoptech braided stainless steel brake lines. I custom valved the motons with PSI in Sonoma california, calculated the empirical spring rates, and made the rear adjustable swaybar endlink. I ran this shock spring package on my old argento 550 and they were the limit of streetable and adjustable for light-medium track duty. The set up would be fine for full track if the 550 was lightened and springs changed or swaybar rates vastly increased. In fact I think my next change would not be more spring but more bar. Ferrari has the front bar endlink adjustable but the rear links are solid?? So I just ordered the spherical bearings parts from Mcmaster car. You really only need to make 1 adjustable endlink with a stock rear swaybar. If you change the bar design then you might need 2. I corner balanced the car too and adjustable endlinks are mandatory for that. Threads happen to be 10x1.25 on the rear carrier knuckle for the endlinks if anyone else wants to make their own.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #2 BRADAN, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finishing out the full body cage in our 550. Will post up the thread next month when the car moves into paint.

Love your shock setup we have penske double adjustables on ours with chromoly control arms, what a difference!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    More please! Is it a street car or track only?

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I know where you can get better brakes and Fabio is making 6 into one headers for the 550/575M. That unlocks quite a bit of hp, apparently. Worked for the 599 GTO.

5. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    I love this thread already.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John's COP conversion comes to mind, too. On the Superamerica, they advanced the cams 7 degrees for a little more top end power. Would probably work on the 550, too.

7. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Are there posted wsm specs on the a SA timing?

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #8 tazandjan, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  9. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    FBB,

Perfect thread more performance mods please.

The question I am having to ask is should purchase a cat delete pipe or make on.

It's cheap to make but won't look as good any views.

10. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

To the point of unlocking HP, our 456/550/575 engines are very conservatively rated at 79/88/88 BHP/Liter respectively, and with the Japanese & Germans making more than that with their box stock motors, and Ferrari now making upwards of 116 and 122 BHP/Liter in their F12B and F12TDF, we can surely do better than a measly 79-88 BHP/Liter :)

OK, admittedly, these later cars all have VVTi adjustable valve trains, and most have either direct or direct + port injection, but I still think 100 HP/Liter is achievable with our engines after seeing how straight & pretty the ports are in our heads, and our valve areas are really quite adequate.

All we need to do is relieve the restrictions on the intake & exhaust, get some higher duration cams, and some programmable ECU's and we'll be laughing.......but.......the car won't be street legal anymore.

With my build I'm working on trying to achieve most of what I described, while trying to keep the beast street legal, too.

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    John,

When the 6.0 is ready Dave and I should meet you at CoTA. We aren't getting any younger so step it up. Yehaw CoTA and the Salt Lick Bar Be Que 2018?

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Both the Superamerica and the 612 engines (F133G and F133F, 612 came first) have larger intake manifold runners and matching head ports, too.

13. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    John I am waiting for the 6.0 I will come over to see it as well

14. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Come me too in, John.

15. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Not to derail an interesting post, BUT, can you really put down any more useable power on a car which is front heaving and squirrely light in the back. I mean, I do a lot of track time with some of my cars but I would never consider a WOT run with traction off with my 550. Perhaps a suspension upgrade, but more hp this car does not need.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kris- With nearly two tons on the back wheels, squirrely light is a bit of an overstatement. A 550 is not a pick-up truck. Even if weight distribution is about 52/48.

17. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    You know how impressed I am with all you guys.....

But Just reading this stuff scares the crap out of me :)

I'm just completely happy driving my 550 the way to factory sent it.

I'm so glad that I'm so dumb that I don't understand any of this :)

Cheers

Bill

18. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Bill,

The factory made good compromises. The 550 is a great GT. You are the smart guy leaving it alone. When you have too much time on your hands you do dumb stuff like thousands of dollars in shocks that need Ferrari level of routine maintenance to maintain their performance. We race on these same shocks and it is 1000 a set for annual revalve and maintenance. So considering the last time you had to mess with the stock shocks who's the smart guy now?

19. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Hey Carl, you always have way of making me feel good :) Smart I don't know about you guys amaze me and that's the truth !

Remember I'm the guy that has a technician put in his new battery .....

Or has a friend like you to untwist the actuator, thank goodness that's not a problem anymore since my technician invented the fix.

20. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I really don't see the problem doing wot with traction control off. It boils down to driver control and type of tires and tire pressure. I did light up the tires. I see no problems controlling a 550 with slicks on. Try the 930... or a yellow bird. they are real hairy cars.

I am hoping to have 550 bhp on my 550.600 would be god sent.. I am pretty sure at 550 kgs with 100kgs down on weight. It's pretty competitive.

21. peter seow

peter seow Karting

Oct 9, 2015
    KL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    So far right now on test the 02 extender works...

I am going to purchase a cat delete pipe or fabricate one.

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Agreed! The 550 does not have that much power. Interestingly, the stock pirelli tires are hard as stone and you can burn those out very quickly. By chance I'm running the continental DW which has about a 400 TWR that seems like stone for a performance tire yet is soft enough to handle the 550HP. The pirellis I would burn rubber in 3 gears and much harder to get the power down. The DW is about the best street tire I have ever drivin on a 550. Dot-R race tires on the 550 and you want more power because they stick like glue.

Correct selection of Shocks and springs totally change this too in a positive way.

23. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If streetcar I would go with the newer metal core cats. Those are really good. I hate smelling myself at stoplights etc. But if racing then delete. The stock cats are integrated to part of the twin down pipe so you will need to do some tubing work.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

100 or 200 cell cats. With decent engine mapping it shouldn't affect performance noticably. Only matters if you're chasing the final few hp. 550 Engine has so much to give, be wise and seek it elsewhere ;).

Catless just smells bad and all it really does it make the car obnoxiously loud.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The latest Ferraris have deleted the precats in the headers (550 never had those, 575M does) because of improvements in cat technology. The newer cats like those fitted to the 599 GTO and F12 with 6 into one headers are very clean with little backpressure and loss of power.

If you want a bunch of free (relatively speaking) hp, go for Fabio's 6 into one headers and 200 series cats.