Oval Dino Chassis Tubing Supplier? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oval Dino Chassis Tubing Supplier?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Paddy_SP, Sep 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I too have ground, heated and welded on to oval chassis tubes on Daytonas, but my general experience performing these tasks on thinwall CrMo tubing is somewhat limited, so I'm just wondering what would the most noticeable differences be when compared to performing them on mild steel ?
    Just hoping to learn more.

2. ODDY

ODDY Rookie

May 7, 2013
    I am not a welder and so had a professional do the repairs to the chassis of my Dino. He was very impressed with the quality of the steel and suggested that he could tell it was CrMo when it was ground and welded. There was also slag on some of the original welds which would suggest arc welding. Also if you measure the circumference of the large oval tube it is very close to the circumference of a 3" circle, marginally greater.

3. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    It is too late at night for me to crawl under my car to check, but I was told years ago that the tubing was elliptical, not oval. There is a difference. Which is correct?

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #29 pshoejberg, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    I believe an ellipse is the same as an oval so you can maybe save the trip under your car....-:). Basically, it is a circle that is squeezed and the tube is not a super ellipse from my memory. That means that the tube can be defined from max width, height and thickness + material parameters (Under the precondition that the profile is a true ellipse shape).

Regards

Peter

5. Paddy_SP

Paddy_SP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2005
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Dr Patrick (Paddy) Hook
    A phrase found via Google sums it up rather well:

'An oval is a curve resembling a squashed circle but, unlike the ellipse, without a precise mathematical definition'.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Oval pipe have many shapes, sometimes they are ellipse shaped.....-:) It does not change the fact that we do not know if the oval pipe Ferrari used in our cars are ellipse shaped. That could be interesting to investigate.

7. Paddy_SP

Paddy_SP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2005
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Dr Patrick (Paddy) Hook
    Agreed - I keep meaning to take a profile gauge out to my car and see what I find!

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #33 TTR, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #34 pshoejberg, Oct 1, 2016
  10. Paddy_SP

Paddy_SP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2005
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Dr Patrick (Paddy) Hook
    Nice pics - but I have to ask, what chassis is that?

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    That is an early 246 L-series #0504.

12. Paddy_SP

Paddy_SP Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2005
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Dr Patrick (Paddy) Hook
    Thanks - the cross-bracing in the driver's footwell looks different to mine, however, that might be simply because I'm looking at it from a different angle!

13. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You might have a later model, different chassis design.

14. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
  15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So many of the restoration houses have that tubing made in correct size/shape and material and they never have "just enough" made because of production costs. I would look for an existing supply from them rather than going it alone.

Check with DK Engineering, Bob Smith and MPI for starters. I know they all do frame work.

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Or Kevin at Mototechnique.

Freeman

17. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
  18. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    ... but not in the correct size/shape. I have quotes from them for a min order including making dies for around $12k but never went ahead.
    Trafiltubi, Italy are the oem supplier and they make it to order but there is a min order also... cost prohibitive for a lone restoration unless you are making a chassis or want to stock/resell it.
    It's best to make the piece you need. I asked around major shops some years ago and generally they only use tubing for their own customers, if they stock it.
    Ask around though, you might find some now.

19. ProFormance Metals

BANNED

Sep 27, 2016
    Daventry
    #44 ProFormance Metals, Feb 6, 2017
    Here is an example of some 92 x 55 x 2mm thick Seamless cold drawn steel that we have just supplied 3 x 2mtr pieces for a customer in the USA. MOQ is just 1 length

Please note that the edges have been de-burred and may give the illusion the profile is jagged / pointy in places, this is only on the flat edge only.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ProFormance Metals

BANNED

Sep 27, 2016
    Daventry
    #45 ProFormance Metals, Feb 8, 2017
    Here is our 92mm x 55mm x 2mm in mild steel seamless tube. Minimum order quantity for this is just the 1 length at 2mtrs long.

Please note - The flat edge of the tube have been de burred so may give the illusion of a jagged / pointy radius of the oval.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Is it me or is the tubing in these photos seamed/welded, not seamless DOM material ?

23. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Seam less it is. It is marks from the cold draw you Can see on the pictures.

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks for clarifying. It's just that the tube with "JO" (or "OP" ?) marked on top of it in the 2nd photo has an appearance of having a welding seam on its side.

25. telespial

telespial Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Burbank, Ca
    Full Name:
    Richard H
    I don’t think the oval tubing starts as such. I have factory blueprints and the main tubes on the 250GT as an example show 76.2mm width which is exactly 3” USA tube size. My theory is that the main chassis tubes were bent and shaped round and then flattened but over time the myth has grown to believe that the tubing started as actual oval. Why do I think this? The blueprints also show 55mm x 72mm oval sizes which is exactly the same circumference as 3” tubing.

I may be wrong but the drawings reveal all kinds of secrets as to how simple these complex frames actually were.

Attached Files: