Storing your car for the "winter" | FerrariChat

Storing your car for the "winter"

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by RedNeck, Oct 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    So I just moved back to GA after spending about 20 years in Northwest Ohio..started driving up north. Car storage season was literally mid-November to early May. What is your typical car storage down here and what precautions do you take?

2. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Not needed here. I drive it all year as long as it is nice weather.

3. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    100% Correct!

Ciao,
    George

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As long as you have a decent garage to park it in, that should be good enough. I drive my car less often during the winter (and have my annual service done sometime), but I do still drive it.

Some of the monthly events like "Caffeine & Octane" go on 12 months of the year, and still draw decent crowds.

5. shootermcgavin

Jul 10, 2016
    you'd be doing it wrong if you moved down here form Ohio, then stored your car for the winter down here and didn't drive it :)

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That's what I wanted to hear!

7. RammJaeger

RammJaeger Karting

Jul 24, 2016
    Woodstock, GA
    Yep, half the fun of being in Georgia is being able to drive your cars year round. One quick word of caution though. Some high end cars will have summer only tires, like my Hellcat with Pirelli P Zeros. Those tires can actually be damaged if they are driven when it's below 50 degrees outside. It will get below 50 here, so be careful with your tires if they are summer tires.

8. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    I drive my cars year round. I have driven in the mountains with top down even when it is 30F outside.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you want to drive in the north GA mountains in winter, pay attention to their weather. They often use a rock mix on their roads in the event of icy weather, and some of it often stays around long after that weather is gone.

10. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Summer tires ride rough and don't grip as well when below 50F ; not sure as actual damage as I have been driving in TN winters for 15 years

11. RammJaeger

RammJaeger Karting

Jul 24, 2016
    Woodstock, GA
    From TireRack.com:

"Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero System tires, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

I've seen even scarier warnings about it from Pirelli. Not sure about other brands. But if you do any performance driving in your cars (and I do in mine), don't let your summer tires get cold.

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I noticed that the Bridgestone S03s I had on the 328 went noticeably off on handling below 40F.

I had the S03s out in cold weather a couple times, either from a sudden weather change or from bringing it home from service.
    I didn't notice any damage, but the performance went off after six years, so I replaced them (with RE-11s)

The EVO VIII came with a sticker on the door against driving on the stock Yokohama A046s in "winter".
    The EVO X had a similar warning for the stock Yokos.
    But that was against damaging the car -- from lack of traction.

I had a second set of rims for the Nokians I used on the EVO VIII in winter, but that was in Massachusetts and the DC area.

I had to drive on the A046s at 32F in MA, once, while waiting for the Nokians to arrive.
    It was like driving on Fred Flintstone's tires: solid rock, no grip. Scary.

I didn't take the 328 on RE-11s out in winter in DC, because:
    - I don't have a spare set of rims for "winter tires",
    - VA uses lots of salt on the roads in winter,
    - the windows on SUVs are higher than the 328's roof -- if they clean the windows at all,
    - people in DC seemed to think driving a "fun car" in winter is a bit like wearing white shoes after Labor Day. ;)

I haven't been through a TN winter, yet. But I have the EVO (with all season tires) for bad weather.

13. bcfos

bcfos Karting

Aug 15, 2016
    Birmingham, Al
    Full Name:
    Brian Foster
    No storage in Alabama. In fact some of my older carb cars tend to love cooler weather once they get started. But we may see sub 30 degree weather a few days during the winter at most. And if they even say snow on the news the state shuts down.

14. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    As a former Michgander...now living in Alabama...the weather down here is fabulous! I will never...ever....move north again. When I lived in Michigan I kept the Ferrari in a heated garage, and did service work and other odds and ends over the winter months. Winters last forever, and then there is salt on the roads, and pot holes....the roads up north just suck. I couldn't be happier living down south, smooth roads, sunshine, and year-round driving.

15. bcfos

bcfos Karting

Aug 15, 2016
    Birmingham, Al
    Full Name:
    Brian Foster
    Small world. My better half is a Michigan export also. And she still to this day hates me calling her hometown Detroit "The armpit of America"..

16. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ha...Ha....yes Detroit really turned into a 3rd world country during the last automotive industry downturn. It's still an armpit...but at least they are using deodorant now. Detroit is slowly climbing up out of the hole.

17. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    All I needed to know about Detroit, I learned watching Robocop (1987).

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I rarely use summer tires, for that issue, especially since I lived in the north for so (too) long. I put Bridgestone RE760's on my Z06 and I love them. Sadly, I don't think they make them any more...

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I think Tire Rack still has RE760s.

For similar reasons, I got lazy and put RE960AS all-seasons on the EVO X, as I'm too old and lazy to swap wheels twice a year. ;)

Also, the 3rd gen run-flats let me remove the donut spare and double the tiny trunk space in the X.

Given that it's November and 80s, I don't think I'll miss too many days by keeping the RE-11s garaged on days that don't get above 40F. ;)