1995 F355 Challenge, Street legal, Championship winner | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 Challenge, Street legal, Championship winner

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Ferrari 308 Vetro, Jul 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Interesting paradigm: stock is generally perceived to have the highest value. But then there is race provenance with a successful record. However what about the fastest/track/race ready? And then there is this street legal thing implying that an uncomfortable noisy car with limited visibility and access is worth a premium too?

Seems to me that we have a nice looking car, that with minor factory modifications can be driven competitively on track, end of story. Also remembering that the cars with titles must have had the cages fitted by the dealers making them part of the less desirable non factory cars. But why is the factory car more desirable, hmmm not sure about that one but SCM says they carry a $50K premium because they are not street legal and never could be.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It is all interesting and I would take anything Ferrari 308 Vetro says with a grain of salt, him and Robb are the local subject matter experts, but Ferrari 308 Vetro is known for buying up a model, pumping, and dumping. Sound familiar from your finance background? :D He has already bought the herd as I know 5+ 355 C's he's bought at least and here on FChat his pumping has been obvious too. He knows a bunch about them, but also keep in mind his real motives.

It is a complex set of variables that influences the price and some of them are conflicting. IMHO I think the most valuable car would be...

original with successful race history, 1995 title and streetable (maybe not legal, but able to tag), and everything freshened up.

using my #104504 as example it has the 1995, title, and race history going for it. In 4 more years I will be able to get away with running on streets with "parade" license in Texas. however, the Ferrari of Houston silver paint is less historic and valuable than its yellow paint, I have replaced stock cage with a custom welded, I no longer carry the original series graphics, and I have done some other lightening. the paint and graphics would be easy to restore and I've seriously thought about it, returning the cage and lightening to challenge spec would be more costly, but 99% of those out there wouldn't know the difference.

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #28 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have the first FNA customer 348 entered and it won the last 348c series B mind you- Jim Kenton. I'll take no less that 550.

That said, I am glad to see these cars getting some love. They're great fun to drive, heck, I've driven mine to many FCA National meets, the Toronto meet almost 1,000 miles in about 14 hours. Tracked Mosport, and home. And to top if off my ears ring all the time now due to the little pipe. Canadian Flag was added for the trip. They put the fear of god in us about speeding tickets, I thought it might help lol. Luckily I did not need it..Over 50k miles total driven and all the great tracks. Sebring, VIR, Watkins Glen, Daytona, Road Atlanta, Road America, Mosport, etc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    What about tracking at Roebling Road and blasting up I-95 with your buddy in his street legal F355 CH to North Carolina? That was a blast. My ears are still ringing.

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hell yeah, man how you been? You got fast that' how!! Never forget that sight of you and the 355 headed on 95 pine trees whizzing by in the medium. It was cool...

6. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Doing well. I am still racing. I will be up in NC around November. Anything going on with the Ferrari club? I might ship a car to NC.

7. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    @Rob, always nice and friendly ;-)

What is the problem to have more then one Challenge car? I think I am doing a lot for and with these cars, I really love them...

I brought cars from EU to US to show them, I did so many Events and will go on with this becouse the passion never stopps. See the Video http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/challenge-gt-cars/534519-we-love-challenge-gt-ferraris.html

I am the only guy how is showing year for year a Challenge car at Cavallino.

And as you know Rob, I have cars what I will never sell. Some I let go like this great car.
    And, yes, I forgot, the tax is the Problem to bring it to EU, if not I would keep this one also.

Greetings from Vienna

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Your not talking about your black 355? Amazed you have any hearing left if you did :)

9. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    He drives with ear plugs. That was the last time driving the 355 on the street. It was so loud. We were flying up I-95 to Hilton Head, NC. David is a Wildman.

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #35 SoCal1, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    LOL Nice !!!!

I have it registered here. Have taken it down the 405 at sunrise and wife said she herd me for a good 5 miles away.

Raised a few eyebrows driving to the LBGP

She likes the sunny dry weather in SoCal, good for the bones :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #36 gatorgreg, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    The challenge cars started as street cars. The dealer converted the 355 street cars in the first year of 1995 with challenge kits. The challenge cars had designated VIN#'s. Any 1995 355 Challenge was street legal in the US. In 1996, the cars were converted at the factory. I have heard of people taking a normal 355 and adding the challenge kit. You might find later street legal 355 challenge cars.
    According the Cavallino magazine 109 Ferrari 355 challenge cars were produced. How many street legal. I would guess at 30-45. I have seen about 20 cars myself. I have seen a 97 with a tag. Several cars have been totaled at the track.

This website keeps a good track of the cars. Sorry Rob. I have no affiliation.

https://ferrari355registry.com/registry

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    without all the details why don't you talk about how many you sell or how long you actually keep some of them? :D you are a broker, nothing wrong with that! Joe Sackey is a broker and he loves the cars more than anyone. It is OK. ;)

13. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    We talk about the same Rob ;-)

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Joe is a sponsor too. ;)

15. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    I am open to, BUT you dont let me be a Sponsor...

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you pass the test except for the promotion of your own forum. you need a sales/broker site different than your forums and you would be OK.

17. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Anytime you advertise a race car on Ferrarichat he is promoting his website.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    well, I need to watch that, he isn't allowed to link the site in ad. He needs to provide all the information in his ad here. thanks for heads up.

19. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Think this thread is about the 355 CH I am selling...

20. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Open for offers...

21. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Still for sale...

22. Ferrari 308 Vetro