The Jaguar XJ220 Thread | FerrariChat

The Jaguar XJ220 Thread

Discussion in 'British' started by SupercarGuru, Feb 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #1 SupercarGuru, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    About a year ago I started to research the Jaguar XJ220. Like many, I had only heard horror stories of service issues and folk lore about its disappointing sales, but while I started to talk with engineers, racers and owners I learned so much about a car that was so under appreciated and is just starting to get the recognition it deserves.

The Jaguar XJ220 an automobile icon that at 217 mph was the world's fastest production car from 1992 till 1994 when the record was broken by the Mclaren F1 at 221 mph.

The Jaguar XJ220, an automobile built by racing engineers, which held the Nürburgring production car lap record between 1992 and 2000 with a time of 7:46.36

This thread is meant to INFORM and celebrate one of the greatest automobiles of our time!

It is only appropriate that the first photo posted should be the original prototype which was released at the 1988 NEC Auto Show.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #2 SupercarGuru, Feb 20, 2016
    "Tom already knew what was to be done. The answer was right under our noses, derived from the XJR-10 and XJR-11 race cars. 1989 was the year when their engine was changed from the 7.0-litre V12 engine to the lighter and shorter 3.5-litre V6 twin-turbo engine in the never-ending quest for more power." From Mike Moreton, Project Manager XJ220.

While the original XJ220 prototype displayed a massive Jaguar V12 motor, the XJ220 V12 was replaced with a controversial V6 Twin Turbo derived from the Jaguar XJR-10 TWR race cars.

Apparently, this decision was made after Bridgestone developers informed Tom Walkinshaw (TWR) that no tire could handle the weight of the car at the targeted 220 mph. So the lighter, 6R4 V6 developed by an ex-Cosworth engineer from the Williams F1 team, was fitted to the production cars.

3. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    In 1993, the Jaguar XJ220 was featured in a made-for-television spec racing series called Fast Masters. Fast Masters was broadcast on ESPN and featured notable drivers over the age of 50. Imagine a NASCAR style production with identically-prepared $750,000 Jaguar XJ220s racing on Bridgestone RE71 high-performance street tires...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdu-FewNuXc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv7Ku53jhIQ[/ame]

4. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Fast Masters featured a few famous drivers...

Bob Akin
    Bobby Allison
    Donnie Allison
    Buddy Baker
    Derek Bell
    Gary Bettenhausen
    Tom Bigelow
    Bob Bondurant
    Bob Christie
    Larry Dickson
    Guy Edwards
    Vic Elford
    Walker Evans
    Gene Felton
    George Follmer
    Harry Gant
    Charlie Glotzbach
    Paul Goldsmith
    Jerry Grant
    Dick Greer
    Pete Hamilton
    Eddie Hill
    David Hobbs
    Parnelli Jones
    Mel Kenyon
    Elmo Langley
    Fred Lorenzen
    Ed McCulloch
    Jim McElreath
    Hershel McGriff
    Paul Newman
    Marvin Panch
    Benny Parsons
    David Pearson
    Henri Pescarolo
    Tom Pistone
    Lennie Pond
    Jim Rathmann
    Brian Redman
    Jody Ridley
    Lloyd Ruby
    Johnny Rutherford
    Troy Ruttman
    Dick Simon
    Bill Simpson
    George Snider
    Dick Trickle
    Bobby Unser
    Rodger Ward
    Bob Wollek

5. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #5 SupercarGuru, Feb 21, 2016
    In 1993 three factory Jaguar XJ220-C's were entered into the 24 Hours of LeMans. While two of the cars were retired early, the entrant driven by John Nielsen, David Brabham and David Coulthard won the GT class. The car was later disqualified for failing to run catalytic convertors and then overturned after a later appeal.

6. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    I have always loved the XJ220 and about 10 years ago even almost bought one.

What let me off in this particular car was that it had none of the factory required services done. For example, as to my knowledge the tank is intended to be replaced in defined periods in order to be sure to have no gas leaks into the honeycomb structures. Finally negative were somewhat strange/cloudy habits of the (commercial) seller, which put me off. But gone the times, when these cars were offered in the 130-180k€ range ... :(.

I really love the design, exterior as well as interior. Having looked at one with the engine out (including the rear subframe etc.), it seems that most of the maintenance should be no rocket science.

Cheers, Bernhard

7. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #7 SupercarGuru, Mar 22, 2016
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had the pleasure many years ago to work on one. When I pulled down that rear under shield, my eyes must have bugged out of my skull. I have never seen a car put together quite like the 220. It's more of a fighter jet then a car.

I have a bunch of photos someplace. I should try and dig them up and post them.

I did drive it, and it was quite a rush, but the brakes were very scary. Almost non existent for a car capable of such speeds.

9. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've always loved the car. But there are so many potential pitfalls when buying one, like the bonded aluminum/honeycomb (think aerospace) chassis that has it's adhesive dissolved when owners neglect to change the fuel cells (to save money) and they leak fuel into the chassis.

10. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    I have actually spent some time working on the car myself with the aide of some amazing technicians, it is actually not that bad! Very straight forward. Plugs are easy to get too, fuel pumps are as well. Fuses, relays, etc all straight forward...

Considering all of the oddities that many Ferrari, BMW, Aston, Lamborghini and Porsche models have, the Fuel bladders are not the end of the world.

11. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    I worked the Motor show at the NEC,Birmingham in 88. The 220 was the star of the show. Everyone wanted to see it or,for a few,buy it. Deposit cheques were flying in the air £50K being around 10% to get on the list. Wonderful. Then the s**t hit the fan when Tom,and others decided to fit the V6, and not the V12. Nobody wanted it,and everyone wanted their money back. Various legal battles ensued. ...Moving on,the 150 or so cars have now settled to around £220-250K, and seem quite sought after finally.

12. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Very cool! Thank you for sharing. Must have been very exciting.

Agreed. Trying to find a nice car was difficult, and they seem very sought after now. From what I have seen higher mileage cars have sold between $360,000-385,000.00 USD.

A 1993 Silver example SAJJEAEX8AX220707 sold at Monterey last year for $462,000.00. with 2,800 kms.

Most cars with this mileage seem to be selling in the mid $430,000-485,000.00.

I know that a delivery mileage example in Europe recently traded over $500,000.00.

13. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
  14. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #14 SupercarGuru, Mar 25, 2016
  15. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Probably the most recent and exciting press around the Jaguar XJ220, reviewed by the one and only Jay Leno.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7jwv3S_cmE[/ame]

16. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I believe it is the most undervalued supercar at the present.

17. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #17 SupercarGuru, May 6, 2016
  18. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    John, I am curious to see how much buyer interest there is in your car. I have a silver one also with about 5000 kilometers on it that has been quietly resting in my garage. I am some what reluctant to drive it as I have not changed the clutch on it and Don Law says he has had a car with a damaged transmission case from a clutch failure. One of these days I am going to pull the motor/transmission out of and do a complete service/fuel cell check but for now I just change the fluids periodically :(.

19. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    The clutch is cheap, not a biggie . If your fuel cell has never been changed, I can guarantee it is toast. Atl will make you one for around 3 to 4K .

20. saadxj220

saadxj220 Karting

Oct 13, 2008
    Dubai, U.A.E
    1 of my fav. cars ever as seen from my username.

Is it possible to remove the v6tt from the xj220 and put in a v12 from a ferrari?
    Or a v8 from a 355?

and regarding the fuel tank, can they not be replaced with regular fuel tanks so as not to change them every 10 years.?

21. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    I had a ton of interest on the car. Considerably firm on my price, so I have turned down many offers in the low to mid $400,000.00 range. I am in no rush to sell and recently was looking at another XJ220 to purchase!

They are incredible cars with unparalleed presence. I think its agreed that its only a matter of time before my asking price becomes cheap...

anunakki likes this.
  22. tcw

tcw Karting

Mar 11, 2009
    Hope you get what you want out of it as it only makes mine more valuable :). It seems they took a recent jump for some unknown factor to me, then have settled down. Otherwise I agree with you on their presence. I still like to look at it even though I don't drive it. It is a classic design that looks good from about every angle.

Regarding saadxj220's comments, originally the car was supposed to be a V12 but that was abandoned due to the weight and twin turbo V6 has more power that the V12 did. I can tell you that this motor while sounding anemic at idle, has more than enough power and fills the passenger compartment with a muscle car like symphony when you open it up. I think the fuel cell is used as in most cars that use them you are trying to fit the tank in a closed tight space so you need to collapse it to fit it though a small opening. When I get mine out I will send it off to Fuel Safe to check it as I have done with race cars in the past and get their opinion. I doesn't leak now.

23. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
  24. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

So, is there only the one V-12 car (prototype)?

Are there presently tires (tyres) that would work with the V-12? Just idly wondering... :)