My Story - 46567 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

My Story - 46567

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    I did know the whereabouts of a v12 engine for a 400i for sale - would you be interested?
    Would seem such a shame after all this hard work for it to be running a v8

2. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I keep looking at all this wonderful work being done and thinking she's ready to be a Ferrari again.

3. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I might agree with the two posts above, BUT...

When I began this journey years ago, I was in a substantially different financial predicament that would have otherwise allowed me to purchase either another 400i instead and/or a proper V-12 engine. Between restoring to a high degree 3 other older european cars simultaneously to this one, plus a divorce, and a few legal issues surrounding other people's greed, I am simply unable to entertain the possibility of uniting 46567 with a proper Ferrari V-12 for now...

What I really need to do is rack up some crazy amount of hopefully happy miles before I can contemplate what to do next. One thing is for certain - this car is for keeps until eternity! So, although one can never say never about anything, and I would not be opposed to doing the switch at some point, there are so many other pressing matters that have come my way these past several months that in all honesty, it will be years before I can justify the effort and expense.

In the meantime, the details are being zipped up and not much more to go.

4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #204 OttoB, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Between starting a new business and the usual every day grind, although I still visit the site regularly, I had not gotten around to post pics of progress on my car, but that's about to change...

So, here are some boring ones regarding the clock. I ended up paying good money for the only Veglia OEM clock available for sale on eBay for these model cars while being advertised as non-functioning!?! Enter Michel who is never lacking confidence, and he fabricated both a replacement gear that the 'new clock' didn't have as it was 30 years old, worn and used, nor mine which was in pieces as shown below. He then also machined a new winder using precise measurements and scales as the original was stripped - the pics show the rest of the story. I doubt that clock will break anytime soon, since its bionic now!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #205 OttoB, Sep 13, 2016
  6. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #206 OttoB, Oct 14, 2016
  7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Congrats Otto, looks great! Enjoy it in good health!

Ruben

8. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Awesome car

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Nice! I really like the wheels, they look really really good.

10. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #210 OttoB, Oct 14, 2016
  11. John Wetzig

John Wetzig Rookie

Aug 2, 2012
    Allentown PA USA
    Full Name:
    John Wetzig
    Thank you for sharing all the steps which brought your car to it's present fantastic condition. Michael has earned all your plaudits! Enjoy!

12. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Very tasty,Otto.

Very usable and servicing won't break the bank.

Now all you need ...............................................

is one with a Ferrari engine in it ! :D

13. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Congrats on reaching this important milestone! I love the amount of dedication that's gone into returning this car to the road. Looks great in the pics and of course the backdrop helps a lot as well.

But you left out something very important-- how does it drive?? And how do you like driving it?

14. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Fantastic, Otto. I love the 17" wheels - just right! I have commenced the long rolling resto on mine, and will shamelessly steal some of your ideas!

15. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    great journey but yeah, how does it drive? What's on the sorting list mechanically? Congrats

16. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    The car has a new long block coupled to a rebuilt transmission, new brakes, a/c, suspension, etc. It has a very deep growl as it has straight pipes and even at idle, the people in nearby cars know 46567 has some serious business under the hood. This model of Ferrari could never been considered as sporty, but mine has got a kick in the pants feel that will push you to your seat if I press the right pedal hard enough! Its almost comical because of the grunt+torque+sheer noise of it building steam...

The car's turning radius is not that great and at slow speeds, can be a handful to maneuver, which is what I would expect from a car designed in the 1970's. At highway speeds, a 4th taller transmission gear would really allow the revs in the engine to not to be as high/loud/or work as much. Although it shifts smoothly, I'm at close 5K rpm when driving at 82-85mph, and although it has more to give, I am okay for now not pushing it farther for cruising purposes.

It is a heavy, well-planted car and pleasantly surprised that the brakes slow it down enough to make me feel safe. The absolute best part of the time spent behind the wheel thus far is undoubtedly the attention it receives... I have gotten some inquiry or compliment across the spectrum and like most, they have never either heard or seen one before. This is multiple times per drive, per you name it. I am going out of my way to park it afar from what could be perceived as risky mall/plaza parking - but it will be pressed for regular duty and will have to succumb to parking next to haphazard other drivers.

This car could be a daily driver, in all actuality. But, the rising prices of parts plus the fact that I have my 3.5 year old son with me quite a bit, will relegate me driving this 400i to 1-2 times per week, at least after the "new car fever" subsides.

At the beginning of this thread, I asked politely to those who would be critical of the car to please respect my desire to focus on what the car is and the work undertaken to bring it back to life. I cannot thank each and every one of the FChat forum members for allowing me to provide 100's of pics on the build of this car, while maintaining my request intact. I, of course, will be updating this thread from time to time, but hopefully, not all that often as I cannot think of anything else remaining to do on 46567 but to enjoy driving the sh*t out of it.

Thank you again for your patience, deferred judgment, and may yours get some attention to make it more to your liking!

17. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day OttoB,

You are a true car enthusiast, a class act, and someone that has the patience of a saint! It has been a long journey for you and I am very pleased that it has all come together in such a fantastic and elegant way! All the best to you and I wish for you to enjoy your car in excellent health!

Cheers,

Sam

18. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I second that and could not have said it better! Enjoy the fruits of your long labors, the car looks absolutely amazing and I wish that I could see it in person.

19. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    A Herculean effort Otto and Michel.
    The car looks great in black.
    Congratulations and enjoy.

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for taking the time with all of the posts and pictures. I think the car looks great!

21. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Looks great, well done :)

22. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    Well done! I have enjoyed watching this come together - you and Michel have done a great job.

John

23. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Congrats, Otto !!!!
    Now comes the fun part, put the checkbook and the credit cards away and DRIVE IT !

Let me know when you and the "black beauty" are headed north, we can do a local show and have them both together.
    Beautiful result, perfect.

Gary

24. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I must echo all of the above sentiments. Enjoy it when you can. I'm looking forward to joining you (and Dave!) in the semi-DD group when 22579 is finished.
    And don't worry about the V8 - Sounds like it's running beautifully, regardless of the cylinder count.

25. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Well played Otto. Top job.