What is the best 1st Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What is the best 1st Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ICULUKN, Sep 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mass1mo

Mass1mo Rookie

Jan 29, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    A friend of mine got a 360 last year and absolutely loves it, loves the experience, loves the way it drives. He is still happy and loves the whole Ferrari experience.....
    After I began my search, I decided buy an F430..... I love the experience, I love the way it drives and I love the whole Ferrari experience...... My neighbor feels the same about his F355.

So as everyone is kind of saying, just find the one you like and can afford and IMHO you will be happy.

2. dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2009
    I was going to buy a 355 and then everyone I called who had pristine stunning examples were selling theirs to get a cs -- so instead I bought a cs. Love the thing. Raunchy, raw and timeless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    This.

I'm on my third Ferrari, so far (only in it a year) and [it] the 360 has been the easiest (that's torn it :() to live with and probably the nicest (all things considered) to drive.
    My Mondail was very, very unreliable. Eventually I think we (myself and the mechanics involved) got over that but it was five years in the making and I fancied a change.
    F355 was superb at first (as is this 360) but after the second MOT and an emission failure I started to have issues with it. Along with engine out belt changes I found the ownership cost too much. The Mondial was easier to afford but more problems.

The main issue with any Ferrari is those unplanned problems. They make or break the ownership experience. As such you have to be very clear in your own mind the potential this has.
    The part you can have some control over before you buy is the servicing costs. Based on this and my experience I don't think an engine out belt change car is a good first Ferrari. It tends to be a regular expense especially if you don't do it yourself.

However if the budget has no limit (not many people surely have that luxury) then it matters little.

Ferrari ownership is going to be costly over the time you have it when compared to a regular car (if you ignore deprecation) so you have to really own the one you like, it helps massively.

I think the first one is in many ways the best. That said I love my 360 more than the previous and it was more or less a spur of the moment decision.

4. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Great thread!
    I'm searching for my first Ferrari also and years ago I was considering a 348 but folks said it was a bit underwhelming so I bought a 993. The 355 caught my attention, I thought it was one of the best looking F Cars, but people were saying how unreliable and expensive to maintain they can be. So I bought an E55 AMG. The 360 is now on my shortlist but I heard the F1 pump, belts and exhaust headers can be problematic.

Is there any merit to the 360's claims of issue considering its vintage, if the initial "stories" are sorted out already....would it make it a fantastic score?

5. 1919A4

1919A4 Karting

Apr 21, 2011
    Saint Petersburg FL
    This is a great question. My first Ferrari was an F1F430. It took me a year and a half to learn to drive it correctly. I learned the most about this car while doing some track sessions.
    My current 458 is simply beyond my capabilities on a track. And I am not comfortable tracking a quarter million dollar car. (I guess I was okay with a $125,00 car).
    The 458 is my favorite of the two by far but I am glad I started with the 430.

6. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    djempire,
    I'm not aware of belts being anymore problematic than any other car with belts. In Europe I'd wager there are more cars manufactured with belts than chains. In fact there is an Alfa in the UK with chains, they stretch and can be problematic :D.
    Belts in a 348 and F355 are problematic, well only in that the engine has to come out to change them.
    I also am not aware of exhausts header problems. Mine is manual so I don't know about the F1 pump.
    Ball joints wear quick. The rubber cup protecting the joint fails and then you get dirt ingress.

Great buying advice for 360's/F430's here:- https://aldousvoice.com/ferrari-360-f430-buying-guide/

7. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Thanks for your advice guys. Always a pleasure to hear real life and passionate experiences.

8. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Why has everyone thrown the mid/rear engine one's out there?

Enzo spent most of his life steering away from that engine position.

Though I have one of each,my heart AND driving preference is still with the 365.
    Their is absolutely no better rush than being in a front engine,carby,V12 with all of them howling as you change gear at 7K!

Until you have experienced a drive/ride in both forms of the marque,you will never really know which typo fits your needs.

.02c

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Depends what you want the car for. if youre plannign on going tot he track a 430 sounds right based on your pror car experience no belts and good reliability. But if youre thinking classic ferrari experience for the road a tetarossa is great place to start.

10. beachmk4

beachmk4 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Florida
    It seems no one here is thinking of anything but a somewhat modern car. You should consider some of the older models such as a 330 GTC or maybe a 365 variant. These cars don't have any of the modern electronics, parts are available, the mechanics of the cars is straight forward and you can get them with air conditioning! Not only will they give you the raw, visceral race car feel, they are fast and beautiful. They also will give you a better chance of recouping your investment if not make some money if things keep going. All of them are easy to drive and you don't have to constantly worry about all the miles you put on them.

They are accepted for most rallies, tours and show situations, whatever you desire and given the current cars available, they are so restored that most of them are like new!

11. majesterludi

majesterludi Rookie

May 7, 2016
  12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    It really depends on what you want and like for me I like front engine cars so I would suggest a 550 very nice cars and great driving the newest car with a little old car charm the last of the non digital cars. if you like the mid engine depending on your budget 360/430 or if you cAn the 458 these are all great cars and reliable...
    I will throw one more car a very late model California don't shoot me but they a great little cars I have had 2 and really like them..
    So get what you like there are few bad choices but make sure you get the best of what ever model you decide on.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO, the F430 coupe (any but 2005-2007 don't have the expensive CF brakes) or a 2012 or newer California.

Least headaches, most bang for the buck.

14. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    always buy the best you can Afford.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree with this. Its not a contest to get the cheapest one out there.

Get the best one you really want and can afford. You don't buy these every day.

Never let a good car go for a few grand.

16. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    A red one. With carbs.

17. dadams73

dadams73 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2012
    Ocean City NJ
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Ha!

Great answer..

18. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    You know what opinions are like. 550 Maranello!

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    He should just buy what he likes. This really isn't the place for a cost-benefit analysis.

That said -- I would start with a 360. It's modern enough, a real car. I own and love my 328, but these days a 360 is actually cheaper than the traditional "starter Ferrari". Just check the records and recalls.

20. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    328 or its modern equivalent, the F430. Both are great cars.

-F

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  22. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The best Ferrari would be the best condition Ferrari that one can afford both the initial cost and the forth coming recurrent costs. You will enjoy any model as they are all different but equally enjoyable in different ways.

23. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Over here in southern Europe, because of relative ease and cost of maintenance + value for money, for sure any of the Mondials, any of the 348s and any of the 360 Modenas. Still can be had for an affordable price.

Great cars to enter the Ferrari world and lifestyle. I started off with a 3.2 Mondial Cabriolet that I still own. Pretty much bulletproof and a riot to drive. Very cool car, very easy to maintain and very rewarding. As time went by I started learning and preparing my life for other Ferraris and other maintenance costs, but hadn't I started with something simple like the Mondial, and I'm pretty sure I would've regretted it as I would be almost certainly out of my league. Later I bought a 355 and I find that to be too complex for a first Ferrari, but that said it's one of the cars I will never ever sell.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

24. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    I like the way you added your experience of 'preparing your life' for a Ferrari. Excellent advice for the virgin F car prospective owner.

25. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thanks, Fres!

To be honest, I was accutely aware (afraid!) that buying a Mondial for instance, was the "easy" bit. Like most things in life, it's easier sometimes to get to a place than to stay there or maintain it. Two different ball games. I had a lot of respect for true stories (not sensationalist stories) about owners who ended up with ill-maintained cars or weren't yet ready to make it to the next step (isn't buying a Ferrari a bit like making the decision to get married and/or have kids? - for all sorts of reasons one shouldn't take the decision lightly or with a happy-go-lucky attitude), and because of that ended up burning tens of thousands of dollars, a ruined ownership experience and can't think of the brand Ferrari without saying something negative.

I tried to prepare my life for the arrival of my Ferrari. And I tried to make it the consequence and reward of my work. Sometimes the prospective buyer is so intoxicated with the idea of his very own Ferrari (which, to an extent, is entirely comprehensible and I can totally relate to that!) that he forgets reality and tries to rush things with a now or never mindset. Good things come to those who wait. It's nice to have goals in your life, something that makes you get out of bed when it's cold and you have a cold!

Kindest regards Fres and all.

Nuno.