Mondial Fire Question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial Fire Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by westyguy, Oct 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. westyguy

westyguy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Huntsville, TX
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looks like the way to go when I get a replacement car. Insurance fully covered the car. I, too, expected the fuel tanks to go but they stayed intact. Car is already on the way to wherever Copart is taking it for the insurance company, so no further detective work can be done on it. I guess it was just coincidence with the top installation.

2. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Very glad your insurance covered the fire!

Have you seenthe video of the system? It just gives 1 puff/blow to kill the fire. It works in this circumstances. Why: there is no heat source (engine, exhaust, headers, electrical wires) just a small bowl of fuel which was lighted.
    The fire triangle: temperature, fuel, oxygene. None of these are taken away with this system.
    If this system is coupled to (let's say) a 5 liter pressurised canister, than it's another thing. But in this layout: Litteraly a drop on a hot plate.
    OMP sells also an onboard fire suppression system, used in rally/race. It uses a foam that isolates fuel from oxygene, so kills the fire. That's the only reasonable answer to an engine fire.
    I carry a 5 kg powder exthinguisher in my car, behind the drivers seat. I hope I'll never need it to figure out it's sufficient.......