The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread | Page 370 | FerrariChat

The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by El Wayne, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ReverendClog

ReverendClog Rookie

Jan 18, 2014
    My old dad visited Maranello last week, he said that there was a demonstration in the Piazza Liberta that appeared to be poste italiane workers, amongst others.

Perhaps 0846's classiche certificate and its 'welcome home to our ferrari family' card, signed by all the workers and the ghost of Enzo, are languishing delayed in a dusty Emilian sorting office, while each morning Jims butler checks the post and relays a somber, 'Not today, Mr. Glickenhaus.'.

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    ReverendClog, this is not how we conduct ourselves in the Vintage section of this site. This thread remains active to allow for open discussion of the cars in question, and not as a forum for sarcastic comments aimed at our fellow F-Chatters. If you have nothing of value to add to the discussion here, then please refrain from posting.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wayne, in all fairness, Glickenhaus set himself up for this. Rob has not had a problem when other members were criticized for their posts, so why start now?

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Anyone else spot 0846 in the LaFerrari Aperta commercial with Vettel?

Interesting....

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Why start now?

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    So is this your rule for just this thread?

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yep. Poorly-rendered digital creation. An image is posted here (along with images and identification of all cars use in the spot).

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This is how I have always maintained the Vintage forum.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Fair enough, just trying to understand.

10. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    ... This thread remains active to allow for open discussion of the cars in question, and not as a forum for sarcastic comments aimed at our fellow F-Chatters. If you have nothing of value to add to the discussion here, then please refrain from posting ...

miurasv likes this.
  11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    :)

Thank you for keeping me on track, counselor. Although that post was a statement of fact which was neither sarcastic nor aimed at a fellow F-Chatter, in the future, I shall refrain from mentioning any uncotrolled emotional outbursts I may experience, even if they are brought on by such non-sarcastic comments as this:

12. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006

13. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    FWIW I did not think Wayne was being sarcastic or meant anything different than exactly what he said when he responded to my comment....

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    unless the pope or vatican is actively trying to purchase 0846. I think we should refrain from mentioning it in this thread

15. ReverendClog

ReverendClog Rookie

Jan 18, 2014
    You have my apologies, although perhaps it is more charitably viewed as a semi-humourous vignette rather than sarcasm.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Sooooo...(crickets)... Ummm do you guys like stuff? Btw anybody got a cure for toe jam?

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5oID2_1FPI[/ame]

18. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    0846 was the subject of a feature filmed this summer in and around Maranello, for 'The Grand Tour'. The project is, I assume, scheduled to be aired in this forthcoming inaugural season of 'The Grand Tour'.

I wonder how the car will be portrayed in the show? One part filmed James May walking around, towering above the car, collecting his thoughts as behind him the sun set upon rolling vineyards. My thoughts when seeing this were - "what are your thoughts, James", wondering how much he knew, or indeed did he only know what Mr Glickenhaus and his mechanic (If I recall correctly is Sal, who was present) told him?

My question to you all is, if it were you stood there, above the car, in the Modenese hills, with a day of experiencing the car behind you, would it evoke any less emotion because it may not be the original chassis?

I believe Jim believed the car to be 0846, I believe his determination to prove it is 0846 was driven by passion that is clear to all he possesses. I feel the thread is very enlightening, and honestly damning to claims this is 0846, but there is an undertone that is reminiscent of catching a liar. I don't feel this is fair, remember Jim has never attempted to sell 0846, and has no doubt spent a lot of time and dollars to bring the car to where it is today.

Think for a moment of that passion you might feel, standing there as James May did, and transfer that for a moment to compassion for Jim, that maybe the realisation that this is not a car that has ran at LeMans, this is not a car with 60years of competition history, because that belief drove his passion. If he comes to the realisation this is not 0846 I doubt he will mourn the financial implication, the emotional implications will be far deeper.

19. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Once aired I expect it will be added to the pdf as yet another claimed endorsement.

Has the use of a facsimile pic of a 0846 on the recent La Ferrari Aperta video also been added to the pdf yet as another attempt at Ferrari based approval within it?

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

I completely understand your point and I appreciate how well articulated your post was. I think it is very thoughtful and even logical.

Your reference to "to catch a theif" is accurate. It was his doing. He postured a car he purchased as a replica, known, represented and contracted as such. Then came up with the theory that the car is 0846. I don't say this in a slanderous way. I don't think he had a doubious motivation as evidence by his GT40 car expereince. I think there was some evidence and maybe a fun fact finding mission to see if it was.

Now onto my opinion... I think perhaps he started to get in too deep and some claims that were thought to be 100% true and supported by evidence just weren't the entire story. In other words his points were correct, but those just weren't all of the points that needed to be collected... there were further discoveries yet to be made (steves discoveries).

I think the car was represented to early as being such. I think the community joined behind him to early and he also became the coolest car guy on the internet and everyone wanted to blindly believe it. He very well still could be the coolest car guy on the internet. He has built alot of neat cars and he is active and he is active with the cars etc...

I just personally think the cat was let out of the bag a bit to early and since... sold a little to hard. Perhaps I will eat my hat when more evidence surfaces. But for now... I think its very apparent that the car is not 0846

21. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I strongly believe that he kept pressing his theory well after he was aware there were significant holes. This is not a recent development either. Double down instead of conceding.

22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I agree with you on that.

While my logic may be flawed. I believe thats why he is not here discussing or issuing counter points to steves findings.

If I were him I would be defending the car. Not that he hasn't but it is easy to dispute facts. They are easier arguments to win than so and so said this. If Steve has the wrong idea about a picture or frame member etc... It would be easy to dispute, counter and really reeducate the masses on the car.

Instead he has disappeared which while obviously not an admission to anything... it certainly doesn't look good... and well... if your car isn't 0846 and you kinda have a suspicion that it isn't the last thing you want to do is dispute photographic evidence.

23. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    In fairness to Jim, in addition to the mileage from Steve's relentless efforts to engage him here and points (websites) elsewhere, he did post some time ago that he was going to be quite busy with projects for awhile.

As for his post this summer about 0846, we'll see.
    Or for those who can't wait, let the endless speculation continue.

24. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #9249 BJK, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    +1
    His new SCG 003S (Stradale) (twin-turbo v8 street version of SCG 003 Competizione which he has been racing at Nürburgring 24 Hours) will debut at the March 2017 Geneva Motor Show.
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31071/scg-003s-stradale-full-specs/

We're also missing out on the current restoration of his Ferrari 512S Modulo. I see occasional posts on his facebook page, but nothing like the detail and discussion we used to get here on Fchat. Too bad. His choice, I know.

25. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Interesting to catch up on this thread. Almost sad to see it at a conclusion after so many years.

A lot of photos have vanished. I recall seeing a photo of the "car" as purchased from Piper...more or less some twisted tubes and a box of miscellaneous parts. Wish I could find it again. At best, all the car ever could have been was an amalgam of questionable parts from various vehicles and a whole lot of fabrication performed decades later.

I saw the car in person and it's beautifully done. By itself it's an interesting project surely with some value, but why the owner has tried to go on some crusade to prove that it's something that it is not is a fascinating question. The great lengths he's gone to to somehow legitimize the car are just staggering, from entering it into event after event, pimping it out in various articles, videos, features, and then the mundanity of taking to the internet far and wide, burying this thread and many others under pages and pages of everything from personal attacks to flowery conversation. One of the strangest claims that's popped up time after time is how Ferrari has supposedly stamped it authentic by showing us a partial screenshot of a self-submitted "my owner" website with a picture and a vin.

It's not so much the behavior itself but the inexplicable motivation. As a few others mentioned above, instead of concession it's been a doubling and tripling down, digging deeper and deeper into the charade. And all the while droves of supporters blindly buying into the story.