Mondials For Sale | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Mondials For Sale

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 123howie, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Russ are you talking about the blue car that had the engine rebuilt by Brian Crall? Did this happen before or after it was auctioned on BaT?

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is the car I think Russ speaks of?

Ferrari Mondial | eBay

$30K OBO: 1983 Ferrari Quattrovalvole Driver | Bring a Trailer

It was on eBay back in 2015 for 19,000
    1983 Ferrari Mondial QV

According to the description, as Russ said - he bought it and on the way home - ka-boom!

Here's the $64,000 boys...

do you think *this* buyer did a PPI?

hmm....

Anyways, even with the quoted 15K in engine work - the final tally is 19+15 = 34K.

He sold it for 30K - so the 2nd owner got to own the car for a grand total of 4K...and is now fully sorted by the acclaimed Brian Crall.

Shocking!

3. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    I recieved a call last week from a friend who's relative has a 1983 Mondial coupe they want to sell. It was purchased new and driven by one of the family members who passed away several years ago. Very little miles have been put on since then but it was driven up until last year. The battery is currently dead and I did not attempt to start it, although they wanted to as to prove it runs well. Supposedly the car was regularly serviced by one Ferrari mechanic its entire life. I was told they had a folder with all the service records but it was misplaced upon the owners death. They are looking for them now however based on the condition I believe the history to be true. It has approximately 70,000 miles and overall is in very good condition. I am not familiar with the value of these cars and wanted some advice and input here. They were asking $30k which is way too high. Based on this limited info and no photos any input as to what people think it may be worth would be helpful. I'm looking for a car I can take to work on occasion and to car shows. No more than 1,500-2,500 miles a year as I have other classics I drive too. To be safe I would assume it will need a major service...speaking of which how much should I budget for that too?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

RAS

4. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Depends on whether you want to be a nice guy/optimist or a cynic.

NICE GUY: One owner car driven and serviced regularly, with service history and in need of major (every 3-5 years depending how hard it was driven), I would put the value at $25K minus the cost to rectify any defects revealed at a PPI, other than need for major.

CYNIC
    The missing service history negatively influences the resale value, even if their story is true. The fact that it's not running makes it a project car: 70K miles is a lot of miles on a Ferrari, most things are going to be worn out including all the rubber parts, some of the electronics, the starter, waterpump, belts, window motors, leather, and maybe tires. If it has not been driven for a year, the clutch may be stuck to the flywheel. Offer them $15K.

You will spend $4-6K on a major depends on who does it and how far they go.

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Russ, I'm impressed with your last post. I was ready to read some bad mouth wording to a potential Mondial owner.
    But I totally agree with what you said, I think you're spot on. Personally I would stick to the cynic option.

6. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    The car was last driven regularly in 2013.

Sounds like $20-$25k is a premium retail price, even if the body, paint an interior are in great shape. Will definitely use a service to be safe.

Anymore thoughts?

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #832 Wade, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #833 Wade, Sep 15, 2016
  9. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    VIN decodes to 1981

Worst year for all 308 engined cars

10. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #835 davemqv, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Hi RAS,
    I generally agree with Russ as well on this one. However, I'd value a QV coupe a bit higher than $20-25k. Hagerty puts a "fair" condition car at $18k, a "good" car at $25k and an excellent car at $31k.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1983-Ferrari-Mondial-Quattrovalvole

Assuming they can get it to start, I'd say offer $20k but be prepared to jump up to $25k. If they can't get it to start then yeah, offer $15k but I'd go up to $18k.

70k miles doesn't scare me at all. Things do wear out and you'll likely need to replace a few things, but that can be as much due to aging from time as wear from miles.

Hassle them to find those service records. Since the car's been sitting whatever's been done probably doesn't matter to you anyway, but it would be good to have them for your records.

Good luck!

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Are you close enough to go look at it, Wade? Pics look promising.

12. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    and is running and driving strong.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the 70K miles. Personally, I think a car that is driven frequently will be more reliable than one that has sat for a majority of it's life.

These are fairly simple cars. Not much more complex than any comparable car of the mid-80s. If you are handy with a wrench, then these cars are fairly easy to work on.

If you are not a DIYer, and/or have a limited budget, I'd think twice. While they are rather simple cars, and easy to work on, if you have to pay someone (especially Ferrari), the costs could mount rather quickly. A good example is when my alternator died. A quick check with Ferrari for a replacement - $2K. Ricambi was about the same. My adult son and I pulled it out (about 2 hours) and had a local generator/alternator shop rebuild it for $110. Spent about another hour putting it back in. My cost was 3 hours and $110 bucks. You can only imagine what Ferrari would have cost.

Back to this car which has sat for 3 years. I'd first take a very, very close look at the fuel lines -- before you try to start it. These cars are known for deteriorating fuel lines, and there have been some fires.

Sid

13. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    #838 bencollins, Sep 16, 2016
  14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    +1. I agree these cars can be driven over 100k miles without disintegrating into dust. That said the market favors lower miles across every brand. Its a fact.

Same model, same condition. Lower miles Trumps higher miles.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I was in Fort Lauderdale yesterday for a meeting and essentially drove right past it. Just no time to stop...

Too bad because I have a soft spot for the 8, only this one has my least favorite color combo.

16. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    Bump...any input?

17. bencollins

bencollins Karting

May 30, 2015
    Whaplode, Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben Collins
    #842 bencollins, Sep 20, 2016
  18. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
  19. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    This looks like Yelot's Mondial that he recently sold. I thought his was a 1993.

Is this a 1992 build, but MY1993?
    Ferrari Mondial T | eBay

20. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  21. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004