New 512 TR Owner | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New 512 TR Owner

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Roadtrip, Sep 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    had my drivers seat re-dyed a few years ago by somebody who used connolly products.
    be careful washing it - water can get into that ecu connector located under the rear deck on either side of the engine.
    careful cleaning the side strakes, every other one is flimsily attached.
    careful cleaning the fog lights - you cannot find them any more.

2. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Rookie

Mar 23, 2004
    Land of Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ROFL!!!

3. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Rookie

Mar 23, 2004
    Land of Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! Super excited to take it to the Winnetka IL Fuel Fed, Ferrari event this weekend. Over 230 pre 1990 European cars plus an additional 60 (all aged) Ferrari's.

4. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Rookie

Mar 23, 2004
    Land of Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Ross!

5. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    mike, you should try to get the luggage, and then take the car on a nice roadtrip with your wife. you will be amazed.
    - the car is like a space ship. you will attract a crowd anywhere you go. i was parked at a gas station in the middle of france once, and left my wife in the car while i went to pay, when i got back tot he car it was surrounded by men who had gotten out of a tourbus. i waded in and opened the door and got in. my wife was not pleased...she said 'thats the first time a bunch of men were looking at a car instead of me !' .
    - i have had that car up to vmax many times, and it is like a vault. very stable, but the wind noise is fierce.
    - its wide...i tried to daily drive it for a spell, but that was not easy. so i dont recommend it.
    - other cars will move out of the way without much effort....sweet.
    = but you may also encounter jealousy. i have been spit on, had drinks thrown at me, not letting me into traffic, the finger, everything.

basically this car is very special. it brings out the worst and best in people. it is fast, and smooth, and poised. its happy with you in a tux or jeans.

you made a good choice.

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hope you had fun mate. :)

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Great looking rig Mike. Please post more pics with interior shots too. All the best - Kirk.

8. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Rookie

Mar 23, 2004
    Land of Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #33 Roadtrip, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was a great event, there were over 60 Ferrari's. three Boxers, two 512TR, a 1988 Testarossa and a 1958 Testarossa!

I was so glad I went, my car looked great sandwiched between a 355GTS and 328 :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Rookie

Mar 23, 2004
    Land of Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #34 Roadtrip, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    sweet! so glad i dont have those mouse belts though.

11. lafluth

lafluth Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    Congrats on a great decision you will not regret!! These are truly exceptional machines

12. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Congrats on the red beauty and enjoy! Looking forward to seeing it at future events.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed Will .... read all about it here :)

14. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Going back to Illinois Mike's comment about leather care products... After years of trying out different products I found a set I love called Leatherique. It is a two-bottle set including moisturizing and cleaning. I think that it might have been someone from the old FerrariList days who suggested the stuff. It is water based and very easy to use. Give it a try... you can order it online from the small company that makes it.

15. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nice work
    Whats the object on top of center console ashtray?

16. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Rookie

Mar 23, 2004
    Land of Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, that actually sounds familiar. I used Lexol and it seemed nice.

I'll give your suggestion a try, as I have never been particularly good at detailing the interiors of any of my cars... I tend to lose interest after the exterior wax is applied... But I really would like to stay on top of this.

17. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Rookie

Mar 23, 2004
    Land of Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The previous owner had put some sort of spongy magnet thing on there. I haven't tried removing it yet but it is nice to set the keys on LOL... From photos of other 512's it appears my ashtray door isn't the right color either... most seem Gray which is actually weird.

18. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    +1 on Leatherique. I've tried a whole bunch of leather products and while Leatherique is the biggest PITA of them all to work with it does an outstanding job of restoring the leather to its original feel. I wasn't too happy with the final appearance though, but after trying several different products subsequent to the full Leatherique treatment I'm pretty happy with Connolly Hide Care (formerly Hide Food but apparently some regulatory ninnies were afraid someone would eat it, and therefore forced a name change). So Leatherique first, and if the finish isn't to your liking start adding coats of Connolly Hide Care every few days until it looks the way you want it to.

Congrats on the new car. The single mirror and the 512TR are a couple of my very favorite cars. Plenty of torque, modern enough to not feel antique but old enough to still be analog, and a reasonable amount of space for a few day trip. I love them and I'm sure you will too. Enjoy in it good health.

19. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    Congrats! You made a great choice. I have had my Testarossa for 2 years now and have had a great experience. Love the way the car drives and sounds! I could listen to the exhaust note all day everyday :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. fedgery77

fedgery77 Karting

Apr 18, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    So pretty! Congrats!