1990 Corvette ZR-1 | FerrariChat

1990 Corvette ZR-1

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by shmark, Sep 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 shmark, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wasn’t sure I’d be doing this, but life changes…in a good way! I’m posting my 1990 ZR-1 for sale, asking $19,900 for a very clean, original, well-maintained car that you can drive across this country tomorrow, take to an autocross and know it’s been set up right, take your significant other out to dinner and get the attention of the valet, or go for a beautiful mountain drive with the leaves changing. The one thing you CAN’T do is leave it in the garage and stare at it. This car was meant to be driven and enjoyed, currently with about 64k miles but I do drive it!

The story of this car is well documented in my Daily Driver thread on ZR1.net, but I’ll cover the highlights here.

Daily driving a ZR-1 - ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

I bought it in October 2013 from the second owner. He only owned it for a few months, and was good friends with the original owner. In fact this was the car he had learned to drive in, and it was his dream to own it someday. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for him, but it has been a wonderful car for me. When I got it, it had been sitting in a warehouse for 13 years and because of that, it had some needs. It was super-clean and original, but cars don’t take kindly to sitting for a long time. It took me a few months to debug everything, and since then it has been an absolute rock. EVERYTHING works exactly like it should. Here’s a partial list of the things I’ve done.

Water pump
    Serpentine belt
    Tensioner rebuilt by Haibeck
    Throttle body rebuilt by Haibeck
    All new intake and throttle body gaskets from Jerry’s Gaskets
    Fuel and air filters
    All coolant hoses
    Idle control valve
    Plugs, wires, coil packs
    O2 sensors
    Clutch master
    Clutch slave
    Brake Fluid is fresh ATE
    Akebono brake pads with about 3000 miles on them
    VATS security override
    Reconditioned HVAC head unit
    Replaced driver’s window lift frame/motor
    New door switches
    4-wheel precision alignment, settings halfway between street and off-road aggressive

I drive it everywhere, not afraid of leaving it at the airport, or going on long road trips. I believe in driving a car and maintaining it properly, and keeping it clean and sharp for the local shows too. I just returned from a trip to South Carolina where it performed beautifully, and I’ll take it to Florida soon if someone doesn’t buy it. Higher res pictures in the link below and I can provide full size to anyone who wants them

ZR-1 Pictures Slideshow by mlitherland | Photobucket
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I've always loved these; the intake is simply beautiful. GLWS!

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I know as little about This as any one. I thought this year they were Mercury supplied four OHC motors

4. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Awesome car

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    The ZR-1s have teh Mercury-built OHC motors. The regular Corvettes still had the OHV Chevy motor.

One of our clients had one of these, and for the era, it was a beast. Slightly wider bodywork for wider wheels/tires and a few other differences, too, IIRC. This one looks well-maintained, in good shape.

6. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #6 shmark, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Lotus Engineering designed the engine in conjunction with a GM "skunk works" team. GM didn't have the capability to produce small-batch aluminum engines, so they outsourced the production to Mercury Marine. It's very different from the pushrod cars, makes all its power much higher up the rev band. It will pull hard to 8k, just like a Ferrari engine only bigger.

Outside of a few prototypes in 88/89, they were produced from 1990-95. The 90 model is unique as it's the only year with the earlier front bumper style and the ZR-1 wide/convex rear. In 91 the front end styling was revised and all Corvettes received the convex rear. The ZR-1 was still 3" wider, and it's easy to spot once you know what you're looking for. Doors, rear fenders and rear cap are unique to the ZR-1.

7. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks! I believe in driving and maintaining, so while I spend time and money making sure it's nice, I'll drive it anywhere. It's my daily driver, road tripper, and airport car. I've autocrossed it and taken my wife out to dinner, really enjoy it. In fact, it's one of the best road trip cars I've ever owned, extremely comfortable and will cruise all day long at...comfortable speeds.

It's time for something totally different now, we are renting the house out and going nomad. I debated storing it because I really enjoy it, but in the end I'd be doing the same disservice as the original owner when he stored it for 13 years. This car should be driven and enjoyed.

8. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    ^^ agree.

GLWS, it is beauty.

Hard to imagine getting more bang for the buck than this deal.

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    best bang for the buck out there.....

11. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks guys. This engine is known to be extraordinarily reliable, lots of examples out there with deep six-figure mileages on them and still going strong. They really are amazing cars. There's a guy on zr1.net who does a couple multi-thousand-mile road trips a year with his wife and his trip reports are fantastic. Here's a link to his latest.

ZR-1 Road Trip to Newfoundland & Labrador Canada - ZR-1 Net Registry Forums

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Love these. What a bargain for one looking for a serious machine!!

13. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I still have my ZR-1 only C4 Corvette id ever own will have a LT5.

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Absolutely stunning car. I have been lucky enough to hear and see one of these being driven with enthusiasm, one of the all time great V8's in my opinion.

15. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Very cool car man!! I wish I had room for another car! :)

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Aside from the front, I know the later models had some engine tweaks that brought HP up to 405. From what I'm to understand, performance differences are negligible, but are those later improvements a "must have"?

I was always a fan of the later models as I love the later C4 look, but this is a nice looking car and a good bargain.

17. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    They are negligible and it's easy to bring the 90/91 up to the 92+ hp levels with exhaust and a chip change - I recommend Marc Haibeck for that. This car is 100% stock and it has plenty of power to roast those rear 315s. It will also touch 150mph on the back straight at Road Atlanta, running on street tires, so it's no slouch.

Funny but I always preferred the early front bumpers, so the 90 was a perfect car for me.

18. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Oh, how I wish! Beautiful automobile. Good luck with the sale! On the other hand, if you decide you just have to give it to somebody... :D

19. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hey Mitch, you're right around the corner. I'm in Kennesaw. Come on over and I'll see if I can tempt you. :D

20. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

These are much more special than people realize. World-beating car when released.

21. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    That's a lot of car for the money. I only ever drove one in a dream; but in the dream, I told someone, "Man, this car is CAPABLE!!!" :)

22. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Great price for the car.

When they were originally on sale in Puerto Rico, the asking price at the time was around $100,000.00 to $110,000.00 !!!

23. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think it's the biggest performance bargain out there, followed closely by the early Vipers. And it's a LOT more civilized than a Viper.

24. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Most of it is chip and the exhaust manifolds for the 405 cars.

25. bcfos

bcfos Karting

Aug 15, 2016
    Birmingham, Al
    Full Name:
    Brian Foster
    This is a piece of General Motors history. In 1990 when they were released it was way ahead of it's time and started the Corvette "revolution" which later saw the Grand Sports in 1996 and the ZO6's and then the re-birth of the ZR1. This is the one that started the progression from well designed slow sport cars to well designed sport cars that will actually run as good as they look.

GLWTS