Vredstein Sprint Classic Tires | FerrariChat

Vredstein Sprint Classic Tires

Discussion in '308/328' started by 2dinos, Sep 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I learned on F-chat about these 205-70VR14 Vredstein tires. They really do exist! A V-rated 205-70VR14 like the XWX.

What I really - r e a l l y want to know is: How well do they work? I can't find any write ups on the cornering, braking etc. For those who bought them, would you please share some observations? Do they feel skinny? Are they predictable at the limit? Do they roll quietly? Do they provide precise steering control? Wonder on less than perfect roads?

Anything you can share would be greatly appreciated. I had a set of Sumitomo H-rated, and they dies from age. The car handles squirrely, and the rubber feels pretty hard.

Many thanks!!

2. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    I only drive the Vredestein Sprint Classic on my Mercedes 280 CE/8 W114 (1972) and they are very comfortable, very quietly, smooth, but they are NOT provide precise steering control, because they are "too soft". Maybe that's because of the weight of the Mercedes. I have no experience on a F-Car with them but I would recommend them for any classic car, wich is NOT driven hard but is for cruising.

3. archibald drinkwater

Aug 31, 2009
    portland
    Full Name:
    patrick f.
    i have sprint classics on my porsche 356 love them. if you can't or won't do the michelin's, the vredestein's are the next best thing.

4. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #4 Longstone Tyres, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    THANK YOU!!! It's great to get some feedback.

I love the CN36! It was my favorite tire based on rock solid handling, and predictability. So cool that it will fit the 308. Now, how about the XWX compared to the CN36? If I show the car, I think the XWX beats the CN36. But does the XWX handle as well as the CN36? I'm concerned with dry braking, cornering, response, predictability, and noise.

Again, thanks.

6. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Assuming we are talking about a 2.5L Daimler V8, what did you fit? The Vredestein's do look dreadful but then so would the cross-plies that would have been fitted originally.

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    In another thread someone posted an article from a German publication comparing the XWX, CN36, Vredestein and Blockley. I don't read German, but the data panel clearly showed the Pirelli being the superior performer and at a lower price.

8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Again thank you. What I would expect (hope) from the CN36.

9. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I would rather look at my own ball bag than look at a Vredestein on any car of mine.

I do hhoweverr like the look of a crossply. I like the rounded sside walls.

The trick with a Daimllewr V8 (or MK2 Jag for that matter) is a tall tyre with a thin tread pattern. good build quality (thats why Michelin) and the Asymmetric ttread pattern in a carcass that is developed to ggo with these cars improves the directional stability, so 180HR15 Michelin XAS I would actually fit these to those really early Ferrari like a 166, 195 and 212. they are a 1965 tyre but they are built in period to make cars opf theis period be able to handle motorways

Germany invented the Autobahhn pre war, butt they were starting to become more relevant throughout the '60s. so sloppy old caars like the Citroen DS were aall over the shop when they were doing 90mph on a motorway so Michelin, with Citroen as a subsidiary invented the XAS