Road Trip - 328 GTB | FerrariChat

Road Trip - 328 GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by 1stFerrari@71, Sep 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    I just had my 75th birthday (8 September) and my old car's been complaining for some time now that it needs to see some country other than South and Central Texas so tomorrow, Saturday, September 17, we're leaving from 60 miles NE of Dallas for Albuquerque and Santa Fe - round trip about 1300 miles....

So, if you see an old guy in a silver 328 on Texas 11, US 82, US 287, I-40, and parts of Route 66 it's me - or the guy with the other silver 328 GTB - I don't think he comes this far north in his car - but, at any rate, wave..... :)

To quote myself: "No one on his death bed ever said, "I wish I'd driven the Ferrari less."

2. Borca

Borca Rookie

Jan 7, 2012
    CT
    Full Name:
    PLM
    Congratulations on your adventure!!! Good luck and Godspeed!

3. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Used to be a speed trap in Estelline. Childress, other than being the armpit of North Texas/Panhandle, often has DPS on the loose(both are on 287).

Be very careful headed west, out of Amarillo on I-40 until Vega(30-ish miles), as this is a very popular drug-net stretch. LOTS of DPS pulling over out of state cars, etc. They'd probably like a little horsie on their trophy case, too :)

If you really wanna haul it, there's some decent opportunities once you clear Adrian on I-40, well into New Mexico, with a few cops around the cities(Tumcumcari, Santa Rosa). Scenery is decent, if you like a more desert type look.

If you're gonna overnight in Amarillo(good halfway point), best selection of hotels is out west, by the mall, at Soncy & I-40.

4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    That's quite a long while to have a smile on your face. You sure about this?

5. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    Well aware of 287 and 40 - been driving West all the way to California since '63 - and used to make the Dallas/Amarillo trip half a dozen times a year as my wife's family was from Amarillo.

Eating dinner at the Japanese place on Soncy tomorrow evening with friends.

I drive the speed limit in my 328 unless I'm in an area I am familiar with.... 328s aren't all that fast - yes, fast enough, though, to get tickets.....

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

Jj

6. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    I am! I am!

Bought my 328 to drive. Have had it a bit more than three years now, have put about 30K miles on it..... car has about 51K on the clock....

7. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    IF the Japanese place you're thinking about is on north side of I-40, bit east of Soncy, that's the good one. There is(used to be?) a Japanese joint much farther south, actually on Soncy that I've heard not good things about(I've never eaten there). The first one I listed is very popular and has good grub.

Enjoy :)

Sounds like you don't need a trip guide. I only did one lengthy trip in a 328, as no cruise control + cramped seating + going way too slowly for extended periods got really old, really quickly. Still, managed 20+ mpg going 80+, which ain't so bad...

Great cars for shorter trips and around town buzzing, tho.

8. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    Retired AF guy and his Pilipina wife own the one I go to most of the time. They've got a good bar and the sushi isn't bad.... not as good as the West Coast and Japan, mind you, but for a place where most people passing through only think of the "Big Texan"...it ain't bad... :)

9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Safe travels Joel!! Please post pics when you can. :)

I hope I am still driving my Ferrari when I am 75 years young like yourself. :)

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Yes, enjoy. Any road trip is great - in a Ferrari, even better. What more can you ask for? :)

11. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Love this!

12. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Have a great time!

13. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I did a 1200+ mile roadtrip this summer in my 1984 Mondial QV Euro coupe, up to the FCA Nationals, from Houston to Columbus, OH. I had a ball, and the car didn't miss a beat. (And I won the "longest trip in a Ferrari" award!)

These cars are much tougher than most people give them credit for. Enjoy your trip!

14. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Well done on driving to New Mexico ! If you need Santa Fe restaurant, or things to do recommendations let me know. We go several times a year.

15. LAracer

LAracer Karting

Jan 4, 2008
    Northern NM
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Sounds like a fantastic idea. If you're spending some time in Santa Fe and you want to experience an unbelievably good road, head to Los Alamos (40 min north of SF), and take Hwy 4 through the mountains, past Jemez Springs, onto 550 and I25, and back to SF (or Albuquerque). It can be done in 3-4 hrs, but there's plenty of interesting stops along the way, so take your time. Drop me a pm for more info or if you want to make it a convoy.

16. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    LAracer - just saw your post (just back night before last and did not check the forum while gone.)

I did go to Los Alamos and did run around a bit. Drove 14 a couple of times up to Madrid and Cerrillos... after leaving Cerrillos I turned off to drive across country to Santa Rosa where I spent the night...

... next morning I drove US 84 to Ft. Sumner, then to Clovis, and on to Morton, Texas, where I left US 82 and ended going into the Denton/McKinney on 380 - BIG mistake - they've been working on that section of road since Noah built the ark and it's still a mess.... arghhhhhh......

Will post photos and a few words one day this weekend....

Getting ready to drive the 328 to New England and, likely, on up into Canada and on over to Nova Scotia in a couple of weeks....