Drove the GTC4 Lusso! | FerrariChat

Drove the GTC4 Lusso!

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by phishgoldy, Sep 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    #1 phishgoldy, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just wanted to share a few pics of the GTC4 Lusso, which I was able to drive courtesy of Ferrari-Maserati of LI who brought the Lusso to an FCA-sponsored drive in Long Island.

The car is phenomenal, though from my limited experience not too different than the FF. I like the all around looks better, but the front looks less aggressive and too pedestrian compared to the more angular and feisty FF, IMO.

The interior is the big deal here - its stunning. The materials are world class, although perhaps not enough to overtake the new Panamera Turbo interior... but the center console touch screen is really impressive, and not just for Ferrari. The interactive touch screen for the passenger was even really well done.

Needless to say, the sound of the V12 is a treat, similar to the FF as far as I can tell. Personally I'd like a little more sound out of it, and would do an exhaust. Not sure how I feel about the steering wheel shape; it feels great, but looks a little goofy and oblong to me. This car had the pano roof, standard seats, no carbon or LED's (boo!) and beautiful blue leather. I did one test drive from the back seat too, which was surprisingly awesome. The view as a back seat passenger is outstanding.

Driving it puts an instant smile on your face. I'm sure Chris Harris would say, "It just feels special!". The power and acceleration are immense, and very smooth and creamy (I'd prefer a little more kick to it, but am used to the 458).

All in all, I think its a sensational car. I can't wait until three years from now when I can afford to buy one of your guys' used ones ;)

(that's my blue pozzi 458 at the end there)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It really is a massive improvement in interior design. Probably the best of the current lineup.

3. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    That gave me a chuckle:).

Pozzi looks good on everything and your 458 is no exception.

I think the gtc4 looks phenomenal for the grand touring category. And the interior finally looks as good as what the top manufacturers offer in the category.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I agree that the interior is massively improved compared to the FF. Also the materials used. Major step forward.
    I don't like the front, it is too mundane, too soft, not aggressive enough, lacks character. Totally streamlined.
    The car as such is really huge, maybe too big for where I live (Zurich, Switzerland).
    It also all depends on the color, certain colors look really good, others horrible.
    Just my 2 cents, of course.

Marcel Massini

5. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #5 Brian L, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    The tech is obviously advanced. Yet I don't think there is any way that the materials are a step up ... cows and leather tanning have not improved in 4 years! Will test one Friday.

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I didn't have cows and tanning in mind. I meant details on dashboard including air conditioning outlets, little knobs, etc.

Marcel Massini

MB224 likes this.
  7. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Cool. Looking forward to it ...

8. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Which colours did you like the best? Rosso California looks surprisingly good to me.

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Would you consider buying one?

10. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Looking forward to your design comments once you see the car in the flesh vs pics since you have been so strongly negatively opiniated so far...

11. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    personally i still think that The front of this car looks much better without The option of The cristal roof. The standard roof help to see The car lower and with a more aggressive front ( more sharper and less curved ) ...as u can image i have ordered without!... also The overall proportions of The car looks better with The standard roof!

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks for the write up and pictures! Great to hear encouraging things.

13. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    Is there an event in Los Angeles exhibiting the car?

I would love to see it in person!

14. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    First off, Phishgoldy: thank you for your write up and opinions.

Second, sorry to hijack and write so much, but rather than start yet another "I saw it today.." thread, I figure I'll ask my questions and add my opinions here.

Marcel, and others who have said or think the interior is a big improvement: Could you be more specific in how you find it to be a big improvement? I’m not trying to be argumentative here, I’m just curious to hear more specifically what those who find the interior to be better are finding better specifically.

I see comments like:
    -- I agree that the interior is massively improved compared to the FF
    -- the interior finally looks as good as what the top manufacturers offer in the category
    -- It really is a massive improvement in interior design
    -- The materials are world class
    -- largest upgrade especially the technology and little details

And I look at my car’s interior and think to myself that I can’t imagine it getting any better than this.

I saw and sat in and crawled all over the Lusso in person today finally, and was impressed with how much better it looks than any of the pictures I’ve seen anywhere so far, inside and out. But I didn’t find it to be massively better, or at the other extreme, a design done by committee/marketers. The car looks to my eye like an evolution of what I have always considered to be a really nice design (the FF). I don’t see it as so much a departure or significant update as an evolution. Some parts I liked, some I didn’t, others seemed kind of a wash to me.

I personally find the design of the seats to be overwrought. Too much going on with the lines of the contrasting leather. As for fit, they felt pretty much the same as the FF to me (had my own to compare it to). From other posts I’ve seen here and elsewhere, some apparently find the striking, contrasting colors and textures appealing. I guess to me the seats they’ve been showing, and I saw today, are too much like the Daytona style leather work, and I find that high contrast unattractive, while I know others love it. So I suppose if I specced one with less or not-contrasting colors, I could find it to be not much different from the FF. I also suspect that when we start to see actual production, we’ll see more design options for the seats.

While I have issues with the infotainment system in the FF, particularly the nav interaction and function, I am not enamored of the current trend of large screens in cars. So while I found the functionality of the new screen to be nice and useful, I don’t care for all the real estate inside to be taken up with a tv screen.

I like that finally the info is repeated in the smaller display directly in front of the driver. I wish they could do a software update to the FF to do that.

I like that the rear view camera now displays in the center display, so it’s not blocked by the steering wheel in any but straight line backing.

I like how the passenger side display is richer, and “prettier”, but again could wish it were 20% smaller.

I am ambivalent about the new steering wheel. I see some improvements, and some “so what” changes. To me, the move of the horn button to the center is a fair change. I get that it maybe it ought to be on the steering wheel as in the FF (keep your hands on the wheel more), but if it can’t be made any easier to actually use on the FF, then this makes better senses to me. I seldom want the horn button, except to maybe give a quick double beep thank you to someone who has kindly moved over to let me pass. Maybe the center mounted version will work more predictably, so that’s good.

But I also found the steering wheel to feel a bit small in diameter. I’m tall, so sit with my head into the headliner. From my eyes angle of view, there’s a very narrow window of visibility of the complete set of gauges. The smaller diameter steering wheel is just that much more in the way of an easy view.

One change I found to be really nice is the move of the headlight switch/dial on the dash, out from behind the steering wheel to offset to the far left. So now the driver can actually see where it’s set without having to do some form of yoga to peer around the steering wheel.

Outside, I find the design to be quite nice, really. I like how the rear shoulders over the rear wheel have a sharper crease and are more pronounced appearing. I’m not sure they’re all that wider or anything so much as just more accentuated. But they stop short of being fussy like the lines on a corvette or Camaro. I find those cars to be far too cartoonish. To my eye, the Lusso stops far short of that cartoonish look, and retains a muscular and aggressive look that I like in both the FF and Lusso. Similar, but different.

Overall, I find the Lusso to be really nice. If I was still in a 612, I’d go for it in a heartbeat. But I’m not convinced that they’d done enough, better, to compel me to take the hit on selling the FF to get one. I love our FF, and while I like the Lusso, I don’t like it better, or have a desire to own the next thing.

So for me, I’ll put the $ to my track toy and wait for the next round and keep raking up the miles on the FF. Until I have a major repair and get totally frustrated and change my mind. And then, I think the Lusso will be just fine, with another 3 years of warranty to fix the things that go wrong with a car when you drive it like crazy..

Anyway, that’s way more words than I intended to write. What I’d really like to hear from Marcel and a few of the others of you who have seen it in person and own the FF is how you find the differences to be an improvement. I’d really like to understand what it is you’re seeing and feeling that I didn’t see or feel, purely from an analytical point of view. I respect that you find it so, I’d just like to better understand how or why I guess. I'm not interested in debating opinions so much as understanding some of them.

15. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010

Eric, the FF is a magnificent car in every way,it's not perfect , but try to name a perfect car??
    You are 100% right about how you feel, you don't see that moving on to the newer car is justifiable or necessary...

Some people are obsessed with the new and improved, others are more rational and apply a different thinking process.

The GTC4lusso is not an emotional car like the 488 or F12, it's more convenient and practical, but it doesn't make you go mad because you just have to get one.

So if you can't see all what others are talking about, then it's because they are exaggerating due to their excitement or you are seeing through all of it because of your lack of desire for it.

16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    PM sent

17. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Before I say to much, not shure I fully understands: In my 2016 FF I have the rear view camera in the center display. So is also some of the information when I change on the center display mirrored to the smaler displays. Either I am dreaming all this, or I do not understand (or could it be a difference in manufacturing year thing?).

18. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    I too would love to if its gonna be shown before i leave on Oct 10th.

19. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    #19 eric, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    OK, mine is a 2013, and the backup camera shows only in the little window where the speedo is, and although the manual indicates the infotainment info should be repeated meaningfully in the little window, I've never found that to be the case. I might have a talk with my service advisor and see if there's a software change that might help, or if its a more fundamental change based on in part, my early feedback to Maranello about these issues..

20. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    See, that's not helpful. What I've not seen is a more detailed and explained reasoning for the opinions, specifically that the interior is so much better. I understand (and have shared) the excitement, and I get the resistance. For my money, neither side is right or wrong. All are opinions, and we already know everyone has one... I was hoping for a more objectively presented opinion based on actual experience.

I truly am interested in hearing more specifics about the opinions of those who have seen and been in the car in person, because I want to understand, not try to denigrate or defend one opinion or the other.

And I am still thinking a little bit about upgrading again. I believe that the decision to buy and own a Ferrari is totally subjective and I would argue, totally irrational. I completely disagree with the opinion that the Lusso (or FF) are not emotionally inspirational cars - no, that's wrong, I can't disagree that you have that opinion: the opinion is yours and you have a basis for having formed that opinion that you haven't shared here so I don't understand it. What I really mean is that I just don't share that opinion and in fact have quite the opposite opinions. But I respect your opinion and would not think to justify my differing opinion by trying to somehow belittle yours. For me, the FF is far more drool worthy and inspiring than the 488 or F12. But hey, my first car, and one I still like, was a Ford Pinto Wagon.

I sort of knew this was going to be a dumb request, and know I won't be getting much of the kind of answer I was looking for. This sub-forum has gotten so caustic I've refrained from participating in most conversations, but wanted to just put my own impression out there based on an hour of up close inspection of the Lusso and an attempt to compare to my long term ownership of the FF. I know others have done the same and I'd like to hear from them.

21. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    If buying these cars contributes to their owners' joy then these purchases are anything but irrational.

Reaching a state in which we experience such emotions - joy, happiness, fulfillment, etc - is the whole point, isn't it?

MB224 likes this.
  22. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    His 2016 with carplay might be wired differently. My 2014 is like your 2013 ... we have the old radio/infotainment.

The interior isn't better, it's different. More tech, yet more busy, less elegant. If I think otherwise after driving it tomorrow I'm happy to be wrong, but it looks a mess in every photo !

23. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
    Hey Eric

You are a very polite person and I respect and appreciate your communication style!
    Like you I'm looking for answers and have been following the Lusso from the first day at the reveal in Cernobio. To me the car is more logical than emotional, it makes sense but doesn't make me feel overly excited like the F12 does. Every Ferrari has to be emotionally charged of course , but to me this one is more about history of 2+2 cars from the past, it's about craftsmanship and elegance, enjoying Ferrari driving with passengers you enjoy..

It's not exciting like the race car inspired ferraris. That is my point.

So far I have seen it several times, global launch, regional launch, at a factory visit.
    I have placed an order expecting delivery in Jan 2017. But this is a car I'm buying with my mind not my heart.

If I had an FF would I upgrade? Most likely not. I think the two cars are very similar and many FF owners are raising concerns about Lusso going too soft towards GT style and driving character Vs. More focuses FF. I personally started the engin of Lusso and was not impressed with the new less energetic startup!

You will loose allot on FF to Lusso trade, I'm not sure you would get an upgrade that justifies that.

With all my respect and good wishes Eric.

24. RomanD'

RomanD' Karting

Nov 5, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roman
    Hey Eric,

I agree with you that most of the time we are lacking details on the forum, so request is not dumb from I stand.

Re why the interior is better or worse, here is my take:
    As you have seen, interior seems to a bit busy in terms of detailing. Lusso feels cluttered inside, while FF has a lot more simple and elegant lines. All aluminium detailing you find inside looks and feels plastic, despite the fact that according to guys from Maranello it is actual aluminium. Also, the fact that it is painted in titanium colour doesn't help. I loved huge solid pieces of aluminium in the FF, so Lusso is being ordered with carbon fibre interior detailing which will hopefully be available in time for my build slot.
    In terms of minor details, Lusso has carpeted sills while FF had leather standard. It looks cheaper but is definitely more practical.
    Interior design features a lot of detailing which in my opinion compromises personalisation of the car. FF's interior was more of a canvas while Lusso really pushes you in a certain direction with all those contrasting and occasionally perforated leather inserts here and there. Plus, no semi-anilina leather was not tested for lusso as it was for the FF, so in case you want it, you will be pushed into bi-colour doors since airbag areas can be in standard colours only and I think it's a shame. Multimedia seems to be a big departure but I need to use the car properly first.
    I ordered Lusso mostly due to the fact I tend to swap cars every 3-4 years and it was time. But if you have more rational approach to that matter, I think FF has some advantages over Lusso in terms of looks for sure and for now I feel that FF is more charismatic car.

Hope it helps.

Roman

25. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Hah, I like where you’re taking this. Especially this line:
    I could only wish that were the point of life: it’s certainly been the driving force for most of my decision in life, good or bad. But the point of buying a car? I guess that really should go into another thread altogether, and could easily get thrown into the P&R section after some back and forth. :)
    
    In response to your line:

If buying these cars contributes to their owners' joy then these purchases are anything but irrational.

OK, yeah, I see that irrational isn’t the right word. I guess I was thinking it’s just the opposite of a rational decision, with the definition I was thinking of for rational being most along the lines of the simple Miriam Webster definition:

-- based on facts or reason and not on emotions or feelings

But I concede that irrational connotes instead too heavily a sense of:

--not thinking clearly : not able to use reason or good judgment
    --not based on reason, good judgment, or clear thinking

I didn’t intend to imply that no thought (good judgement, clear thinking, etc) goes into the decision to buy a Ferrari. Quite the opposite I would hope: one ought to put a lot of thought into spending $400K for a car (especially considering the depreciation, cost of operation, etc). But I also can’t help but believe that we (now I’m talking specifically my wife and I) have basically ignored the rational conclusions of our decision making process when we decided to buy a Ferrari.

So yes, owning, driving, and even the process of buying our Ferrari(s) makes both my wife and I immensely happy. And yes, for us, being financially able to allow our decision to be led by our emotions and not strictly by need, we did make a reasoned decision. I still think it was irrational, or perhaps more accurately illogical. We were happy before, and would be happy without the Ferrari(s), if maybe not quite as happy.
    
    To me, the more rational/logical decision we made was to buy our Scion xB 10 years ago and keep using it to do the daily grunge driving work. It cost us only little more than many of the service invoices we had gotten for some of our earlier Ferrari’s “issues”, is comfortable, costs next to nothing to run, and makes me chuckle whenever I see the silly little box on wheels. That car is more along the lines of what I was thinking when I used the word rational, meaning possibly logical.

Back to the OP's statements: Phishgoldy, you compare the interior to the Porsche Turbo. Could you be more specific about how you find that interior to be more world-class?