Ferrari to build and auction off LaFerrari #500 to aid quake victims | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari to build and auction off LaFerrari #500 to aid quake victims

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Caeruleus11, Sep 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Fantastic act of charity!

2. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    My interpretation is that this is the wrong time/place to comment on how many cars exactly were built and that at least Ferrari does something charitable as opposed to other car manufacturers who do not seem to do similar things.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    1. This subject was introduced earlier in the thread by a forum moderator, so it is your attack which is misplaced;

2. In the one thread reporting the recent pronouncement by Ferrari that this charitable car will be the 500th built is precisely where the inaccuracy should be exposed and/or corrected;

3. Attacking another user by pronouncing him to be inconsiderate and shameful borders on a violation of the forum rules. I would suggest a less combative approach in the future. See the post by ml321 (immediately preceeding this one) as an example of how you could have better stated the same opinion.

As stated earlier in the thread, everyone here will agree that these are generous gestures by Ferrari, but that doesn't make this a sacred thread nor does it preclude anyone here from correcting or commenting on the inaccuracy of the claimed production numbers.

4. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    +1. And let's stop at this.

5. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    What's the big deal? It appears that one guy is saying it's absurd to bash a company for producing an additional car for charity because of increased production numbers. I guess that he brought being French into it? I wish more companies would be charitable & ignore production numbers to help people that are suffering. Best, David

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    That is not how it appears at all. You have either not read the posts in question or have grossly misinterpreted them. If you feel you must comment, then I suggest you try reading the posts again.

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    In doing some research of Italian car factories for my books Authored Books | Joe Sackey Classics, I came to understand that there are two basic production categories:

1. Production cars.

2. Post-production cars.

Basically, when the manufacturer says they will build 499 cars, they are speaking of category one.

Category two covers all the 'extras', cars built for assorted VIPs, and cars built to replace damaged cars, always a fraction of the original production run.

As such, the manufacturer likely feels they are being faithful to the original production run, and many people want cars from the original run.

That said, TC Browne did have a famous quote about car manufacturers statistics which I quoted in one of my books and which applies here.

8. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Joe, how does someone like yourself identify and value those post-production cars in the market?

Taking the F50 for example, can we safely assume that more than 349 were produced in total? There are people seem to know the "### of 349" of certain examples that exist so are there other particular examples of F50s that don't have that distinction or designation?

>8^)
    ER

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Erik,

I was bracing myself for these questions, which I knew were coming :D

I'm not going to comment on how many F50s were made, because I really don't know, and as one car factory famously announced: "if you find out we made one extra, nobody should be upset" !

As regards post-production car values, it all depends.

Was it built as a replacement car for a crashed or burned example? Or was it specially commissioned at great expense with one-off features for a VIP client? That's the difference, and the value difference can be significant, in favor of the latter.

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't see a difference between a LF that was part of an initial run and a LF that was part of an extra run. They are both 100% identical cars, and unless you track down every single one and account for them all at the same time, you'd never know which is which.

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Are you sure about that?

12. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Everything in the modern age is reduced to an auction of commodities. Let the forum now ignore the plight of the victims and concentrate on the particularities of this new and rare Laferrari.

13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, if anything, a new one would be better due to normal part revisions and improvements that happen with all cars over time. I'm sure there is something that is prone to breaking on the LF and that it has been since addressed and revised in some way, and that when it breaks, cars get the new nut/bolt/hose/whatever.

14. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #39 Peloton25, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The $6M selling price of Enzo #400 at auction last year in Monterey offers at least one example that clearly begs to differ with that theory. ;)

Also, I recalled that F50s actually have a plate under the front bonnet that identifies their series number, probably the last limited production Ferrari to feature such a thing, so you would not need to track down every single one. You would just have to look for those that are lacking this plate shown below in a photo courtesy of 134282/NNO/Carbon.

Joe - my guess is that the F50s here in the US market which were predominantly early cars necessitated by the looming change in our emissions regulations for 1996 likely all have that series number plaque. Any evidence in your past dealings of an F50 which did not feature it there under the bonnet?

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not with the cars I've seen.

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed, post production cars can actually have small improvements exactly as you describe.

But let me assure you of one thing I have observed, using Enzos as an example, when comparing production cars with post-production cars, they are not "100% identical".

17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What's worse about them?

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    As I said, "post production cars can actually have small improvements exactly as you describe", so they might actually be better.

19. brau

brau Rookie

Jan 2, 2005
    Can you explain the differences between production and post-prod Enzo?

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh, I thought you were implying the post-production Enzos were worse.

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not at all, that said, I can see how some might prefer a production car to a post-production car. My initial post on this subject was simply meant to highlight how the factory regards this issue, according to what Ive learned.

23. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #48 Terra, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    It was a combination of looming regulations that took effect on 1 January 1996 which shaped/cemented Ferrari's decision for all the USA-version F50s be built during Calendar Year 1995: Impending OBD-2 mandate from the EPA, and Dual-side Airbag requirement issued by the DOT.

24. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ahh yes, I forgot that passive restraint laws were stepped up in tandem. Thanks Terra. :cool:

>8^)
    ER

25. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Regarding most recent models: I pay certain attention to production numbers and serial numbering and I believe there is no such thing as production and post-production LaFerraris. They just kept building cars without any specific differentiation at or around #499-500. In fact, it should be very hard to identify or even establish criteria for last or any order at all. There was a thread around here a few weeks ago with a few posts about hypothetic "last LaF" which versed about the difficulty of establishing these kind of orderings.