Ferrari to build and auction off LaFerrari #500 to aid quake victims | FerrariChat

Ferrari to build and auction off LaFerrari #500 to aid quake victims

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Caeruleus11, Sep 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #1 Caeruleus11, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    That's a nice move on their behalf. Hats off to Ferrari.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Enzo #400 was built by Ferrari SpA for disaster relief also, so this this is not the first time they have done this.

4. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Enzo n°400 was built for the Pope. The previous earthquake disaster relief was a 599 XX Evo that was bought by the Sloss'.

The endeavour is noteworthy and puts the accent on helping out those who have survived or lost a close one are remembered and helped.

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Ferrari also back in 2009 made a special F430 for Abruzzo's earthquake. A silver car with gold stripes and wheels and a total black interior.

6. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Kudos to Ferrari for doing this for the victims. Class act move on their part.

7. F404ME

F404ME Rookie

Sep 2, 2016
    USA
    It's always nice to see a company do this. I only wish more companies were like Ferrari...

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Peter,

My understanding (as confirmed by a friend within Ferrari SpA) is that Enzo 400 was built for a charitable organization of which the Pope was the patron saint, expressly for the purpose of being sold at auction to raise funds for the victims of the Tsunami of 26 December 2004. It was auctioned at Sotheby's on 28 June 2005 for 1.1 million Euros, and the money was used to aid the aforementioned Tsunami victims.

It was not built for Pope John Paul II himself per se as is often erroneously parroted, although, one can understand the desire to stretch the linkage! My understanding is that the car was never owned, driven, sat in, leaned on, touched, or even seen by the Pope.

There is a handwritten dedication under the hood which says: "Questa Enzo, unica nella storia della Ferrari, quale segno di solidarietà per chi soffre, ispirata da un grande Papa, Giovanni Paolo II" (translation: This Enzo, unique in the history of Ferrari, as a sign of solidarity for those who suffer, inspired by a great Pope John Paul II), supposedly signed by Luca di Montezemolo on 29 June 2005, which only serves to underscore the purpose of the car's build, and states that the Pope was simply the inspiration for this act of generosity by Ferrari SpA.

FWIW, although the aforementioned is the received wisdom I have about this car's provenance, I'm happy to be corrected, and would love to see documentation one way or another in that regard.

9. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Just to echo Joe's post...Sorry, did someone just seriously post that a Ferrari Enzonwas built for the Pope? Has he ever owned a Ferrari? To burn round Vatican City? Surely he's not allowed possessions?

10. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    The car was built - of course, not for the Pope - but at his request vs the 599 XX and this LaF built at Ferrari's initiative. This was the only difference.

In any event, the generosity is real, the caring for others distress as well and that is all that is important.

Hardly appropriate to make snide comments given the suffering that Ferrari and others are simply trying to help relieve

11. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Signature of Luca Di Montezemolo alone is legendary, I would love to have his signature on my ferrari

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think Robert was just concerned by the "built for the Pope" which actually suggests that the car was ordered by him and built for him.

That said, I think everyone agrees it was a generous gesture by Ferrari, as I also noted in my post.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed.

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I also remember that they did a similar thing with the first F12berlinetta for Sandy disaster relief.

I agree it is very commendable of Ferrari and shows they do care and the need is real.

15. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Any special details known on this LaF itself?

Because IIRC, the rear spoiler on the aforementioned Enzo was black, though the car was all red.

16. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Probably Italian flag badges or plaque thats all.

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The funny thing is that everyone here knows (but has no proof -- yet) Ferrari has likely already built and sold more than 500 of them.

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I didn't realize Ferrari has done this so many times before. That is really giving back to the community.

The nice thing is anyone can buy it without having to buy an FF first. :D

19. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    What a spectacular thing to do. Great Brand Ferrari great people all of them. Bravo!

20. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    The current Aperta would bring in more money, as lots missed the opportunity & have expressed interest. That Florida guy for instance. Good deeds all around, in any event.

21. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Well done Ferrari.

We were staying about 50 miles from the epicentre until two days before the quake.

22. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes thats true, but I suppose they could always do something similar for the Aperta as well...

23. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Funny to read it's the #500.

In a few years, we will learn there were in fact 600 car : 500 official and 100 extras...

24. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Given the nature of the reason for this extra car, I find your comments distasteful and displaced.Reflechissez avant de faire des commentaires qui ne font que souligner votre manque de considération envers ceux qui souffrent.
    Quand est-ce la dernière fois qu'un constructeur français a fait un tel geste? Honteux.

25. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Oh look - someone doesn't like hearing the truth again. :rolleyes:

>8^)
    ER