Opinion on V10 Audi S6? | FerrariChat

Opinion on V10 Audi S6?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by tundraphile, Aug 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Anyone ever have one of these bad boys? Opinions?

Now that they have a few years on them they are getting temptingly cheap. $20k will buy a very nice one, $15k one with more miles.

Curious on experiences, specifically with reliability. I have read the direct injection system can result in carbon buildup in the intake if that car is not regularly driven hard. But that was about it.

Unlike the BMW M5/M6 which it seems can suffer catastrophic failure without much warning, from what I have read the Lamborghini-derived V10 in the S6 (and S8) are generally reliable.

Thanks in advance.

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My kid brother had the 2007 model from new, put over 50k miles in 4 years with heavy foot most of the time.
    No issues at all.

3. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I have the V10 in my R8. Great Engine!

Joe

4. Dave M

Dave M Rookie

Jul 18, 2013
    We had one that was used as a DD. Think it ended up with around 80k over 3 years. During the end of ownership is started to have an oil leak but other than that car was solid. No issues with carbon buildup. I just wished it was a little quicker for a V10 but it was a heavy car.

5. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    I bought one as a winter beater a few years ago. Wonderful car. Had about 100,000 miles on it and put about 20,000 more miles on it and never had a problem. Same engine in my R8 with 40,000 miles and no problems there either. Love that engine!!

6. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Almost bought one last year.
    I wasn't a fan of the dynamics, and it was a hugely heavy and relatively slow car given what was under the hood. That said, the engine sounds like nothing else. Carbon buildup is the only real issue with them, but as long as your wring it out every few days, you should be fine. Seats are the best in the business. Other mechanical parts are quite expensive relative to the market segment, and it seems to eat tires and brakes far faster than it should in my opinion. It's a bit like the Quattroporte, but a bit tamer and less fun to drive in anything other than a straight line.