Maserati Khamsin | Page 260 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6476 Nembo1777, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Hi Bob,

Hahaha:) I was using the charcoal powered one-:)

Well I had 11 Chrome tabs open just now no good so closed them all opened a fresh new Chrome...and after a few seconds Enrico's site snaps again, no good. When I spoke to him recently he said he did not want to bother updating his site systems/browser compatibility whatever the proper wording is...pity.

Best regards,

Marc

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well that's not good. As you may know Fchat had a compatibility issue with Youtube for over a week recently. It get's more complex all the time and perhaps his authoring software of whatever means a huge amount of work to fix this? AFAIK this isn't a huge money making enterprise for him.

Bob S.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes noticed that the Youtube inserts are empty in Fchat or were in the last few days. Enrico is very much against any commercial involvement.

Back on topic: here is a page with quite a few K photos I had not seen before, I can identify about 95% of them but not the red RHD car on the sixth line down the two photos on the left, anyone has any ideas?

It has a TMC sticker oddly enough.

The World's most recently posted photos of khamsin - Flickr Hive Mind

MS

4. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    What's a good website to buy a bunch of LHM fluid for a Khamsin? Thanks!
    Jordan
    1977 Khamsin 1234

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6480 Nembo1777, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Hi Jordan!

Mie maseratinet or the parts department of your local rolls royce dealer since as you may know RR used Citroen hydraulics from the 60s to the 90s. Its cheap too:)

Still remember my first ever drive in a Khamsin 19 years ago in Denver in your car when owned by John Bookout:)))
    Yep just a bit! A major moment, a true epiphany:)!

Best regards,

Marc

6. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi all,

I received a question by another US Khamsin owner who is not a forum person, can the tech experts please help? Many thanks on his behalf. My view on this would be to remain original but I will let the likes of Ivan and Graeme take over.

"I hoped you could answer a question about Khamsin fuse boxes. It seems that there is an over heating problem with the 50 amp fuses which melts the box and causes the electrical fuse tabs to move outward. When I got my car it already had inline fuses installed to replace the original Bosch type, just the two 50 amp ones but there are still periodic problems with the other fuses loosing their connection, particularly the fuel pump supply.
    I am curious if anyone has modified these fuse boxes to hold modern spade fuses or has made an adapter to retrofit them. I have one spare, used, fuse box I bought off ebay 8 years ago and don't want to modify it unless it has been done successfully. Don't know if I could ever get another one."

Best regards,

Marc

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Haven't seen you around for a while ... I think the Cars and Croissants was the last time?

I guess you're still flogging the Khamsin then? :)

Look in this thread here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/maserati/187217-maserati-khamsin-154.html

There are plenty of LHM spec fluids out there. Pentosin fluids are very available in the NYC metro area.

9. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Hi Marc,

I cannot answer the specific question, but I want to say I am in favor of driveability upgrades to historic cars. I know most of you Euro guys prefer all-original.
    . The guts of a modern fuse box with a period-accurate cover would be fine by me.
    . A pressure reducing valve on the hydraulics to the clutch and seat adjustment would be okay also.

Carmine

10. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Hi Jordan,

In addition to Marc's advice, also try: Dave Burnham Citroën - Welcome He's up around Albany.

Bob, is that Rolls repair shop still on Kinderkamack Road in Paramus? They would have the stuff.

Carmine

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well having a Rolls professionally serviced or even a vintage Maserati is not exactly something I'm terribly familiar with so I have no idea. I've almost always done my own work. But if you jump to that spot I cited in this thread I did indeed visit a Rolls dealer in Marin County at times for Castrol's version of this stuff. Locally where I live you can find it at L&M Auto Parts on Kennedy Blvd. Not exactly Marin County ... LOL :D

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    +1.

I never had any significant electrical issues on my car but those crappy barrel fuses have haunted more than few QPIII owners. Cleaning up all the grounds and contacts is a must.

I once saw in a QPIII a fuse that had a hairline crack in it that would only open under load.
    The guy was going to dump the car out of frustration. My eyes were much younger then ...

On the Bora the seat goes up and down like a rocket launcher but the foot pedals are very nice. Mine always worked though I did contemplate removing them entirely if I thought it would gain me any extra legroom. Similarly, you can add a lot of legroom to the passenger side quite easily by removing the battery box bulkhead. I've seen this done on one car. A fabulous idea IMHO and it's easily reversed. Modern lightweight batter'es can be placed in several spots elsewhere in that car but I digress a bit ...

One could argue that the headlamps on both these cars should remain quick though????

Or not ...

So design us a miniature regulator Carmine. Maybe the entire accessories circuit could be operated that way?

13. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    #6488 bj69, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Very well narrated Bart, beautiful car you have too! (I should say cars, but we concentrate on the Khamsin here)

I've been watching these Cinecars guys videos for a while, they do great work and have good taste in cars.

Groeten!

Jack.

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6490 Nembo1777, Aug 29, 2016
    Very nice polished job Bart:) The car (AM120082) looks great in that color, non original but truly superb along with the tan interior, I had a ride in it with the previous owner Fredrik in Stockholm in May 2014.
    Before that in September 2010 at the International Maserati rally in southern Sweden I photographed it with a famous Swedish singer, who is now the wife of the owner of Ferrari Maserati Sweden. These 2 photos are reposts but I am sure no one will mind:)
    The 3rd shot is Fredrik winning an award at a concours near Stockholm.

Best regards,

Marc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Chassis 012 was auctioned in Johannesburg, South Africa on Tuesday.
    Hammer price was the high estimate, ZAR 1.4 million, +10% commission + VAT.

I did not see the car, and have no idea of its' condition.

Best,

Jack.

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Jack,

It needed a lot of work and had a lot of non original features in the dash and cockpit.

The buyer was a South African (don't know who) it is staying down there.

Best regards,

Marc

18. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Very nice video.

19. RestoPaul

RestoPaul Rookie

Sep 2, 2016
    #6494 RestoPaul, Sep 2, 2016
    Hello Everyone. I could use a helping hand with an issue I'm having reassembling a 1977 Khamsin in my shop. The body was completely disassembled and stripped to bare metal before I repainted it. I'm doing my final assembly now and I'm having an issue with the seals for the rear quarter windows. The old seals were essentially petrified and hard as a rock but seemed very similar to the seals that go above the door window frames.

I ordered new seals from Italy and there aren't what I expected. I've tried to attach a pic of what I received. It shows the seals with the felt going across the top and front side and the rubber seal across the bottom. Are these seals correct? If so I have some questions.....for the portions with the felt....I'm assuming the rubber side goes into the channel around the outside of the window assembly and the felt side pressed up agains the body? Does it wrap around from the top to the front side or is it supposed to be cut into 2 pieces?

Also the bottom rubber piece has the small lip on one side....approximately 3/16" in height. Does this go around the bottom stainless and show outside of the window when it's installed? Upon disassembly there was just a seperate rubber piece here that didn't attach to the inner seal.....similar to plastic door edge guard that you would buy at any auto parts store.

Finally.....do you just rely on the pressure to squeeze the seals together in the corners where they meet up or should I be using some sort of adhesive to try and attach them to each other?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.....I spent 2 hours staring at these things today and couldn't come up with a logical setup. These windows and the door windows are all that I have left to finish the assembly of the body.

20. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Hi Marc
    I am surprised no one answered this question.
    There are a number issues that cause this problem but the key is earth points.
    They get corroded and need locating disassembling cleaning and sanding the attach point, the earth points and assembling and sealing with a clear electrical lacquer.
    One of the worst is the rear window heat. The earth is attached to the hinge, relying on the hinge pin to earth back to the body. What I did was to extend the wire and screw it directly to the body.
    There are no relays on the headlights and that is something worth considering.
    Cheers
    Graeme

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks for helping him Graeme.
    Greetings from Paris in a heatwave!

Who is coming to chantilly tomorrow?

Best regards,

Marc

22. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #6497 Mexico074, Sep 3, 2016
    Hello Graeme / Marc...

Thanks for the tips on the Khamsin grounding points.. I will need to look at those
    and make repairs if necessary... Would hate to have an issue with the fuse box..

Attached is a picture taken this morning.. We finally had a morning that was cool
    enough to go for an extended drive.. I was in the K and my wife was in the Fiat!
    Both ran really well!

Mike

23. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Mike nice combination of cars, you K in need of Euro bumper conversion. :)
    The Khamsin Fuse box is late Fiat X1/9.

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Mike and Graeme,
    Greetings from Chantilly, a little rain, no K's here (I am sulking lol:)) but met several owners.

Best regards,

Marc

25. barnfieldman

barnfieldman Rookie

Apr 18, 2006
    #6500 barnfieldman, Sep 4, 2016
    RestoPaul,
    it could be that cicognani have just sent the wrong pieces. The parts manual shows two pieces, 34 and 35 which are referred to as profilato per vetri posteriori laterali Dx Sx, and Cornice siglillo vetro posteriore destro, which according to google mean, section for side rear windows and seal right rear window frame. I am attaching the picture from the parts manual. 34 appears to be a continuous piece and 35 made up from 3 pieces. Let us know what you determine.