355 ABS Problem-Possible By-Pass Unit | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 ABS Problem-Possible By-Pass Unit

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ang308, Nov 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Good job! You are getting closer. The reason can be that the whole assembly is shot. The crap that fouled the impeller is in the guts of the unit. There are undoubtedly other fried parts. You could for example be making pressure but not holding it for a continuous run or the impeller now turns but makes no pressure because the tolerances are out of wack like a corroded water pump impeller. This unit need sto make like 2000psi so it could spin but not pressure up because of toelrances all gone to heck. So the best idea is to get a new one from ford if the numbers match or try your luck again with a wrecker. Just keep in mind anything with fluid in it let sit over a year and with the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid = big corrosion.

2. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    THE CAR DAROLLS WAS TALKNG ABOUT IS MINE .
    THE PROBLEM WAS A BAD ABS PUMP,THE MOTOR WAS SPINNING BUT NOT SUCKING ANY FLUID.SO I FOUND A USED ABS PUMP /ACCUMULATOR TANK/VALVE FOR ABOUT$2000 PUT IT IN AND EVERYTHING WAS BACK TO NORMAL.
    SO I THINK THATS PROBABLY WHATS GOING WHITH YOURS.
    GOT MINE FROM ITALIAN RECYCLERY ,GOOD LUCK!

3. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3

Please consider sendeing the old abs unit to myself , or perhaps someone else is willing to examine it and figure out what happened, in order to help future 355 owners.

Jay

PM me if you want

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Hi Tony, I didn't know you were on F-Chat.

Good to see you here. :)

Skip

5. cavallo95

cavallo95 Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2007
    chicago
    hey skipp! Ed did a nice job ,car is running good so far,guess i had streak of bad luck there with that pump going bad.
    oh well ,glad to have my baby back after nearly 5 weeks.

6. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Where can one get a 355 Tevis ABS pump re-built these days? Can anyone recommend a good service? Thanks in advance.

7. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have made contact with ATE/Teves regarding a slight weeping issue with my 348 MC. At this point barely noticeable however I want to repair before it gets worse. Anyway ATE will not sell Teves repair parts to individuals. I was told the only way to get them was from Ferrari who only sells the entire assembly. You might check EBay as I've seen Teves parts show up there on a regular basis.

8. Timo04

Timo04 Karting

Jul 2, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tim
  9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Will Teves tell you what cars that part number is common to so you can check for less expensive options than buying one from Ferrari (who may not even have one to sell)?

10. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe

I contacted both Ate and Ate Classic. In both cases they indicated the part number was proprietary to Ferrari and past that would not share any information. You make a good point though so maybe if the question is framed asking for a cross reference they might be more willing to provide information.

Also there is an Ebay seller that is offering a seal kit for the Teves MC. Problem is he will not ship to the US.

Brewman

11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for the response, Joe.

Where is the eBayer located? Maybe an FChatter in one of the countries he will ship to would be willing to forward a kit or two.

12. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe

The seller is located in Adelsdorf, Germany. It looks like a business named nb-part-de. The listing is for a 23.8 mm ATE mc seal kit. I found this info. on another FChat posting where a MC was rebuilt using this kit. I plan to see if I can find a stateside supplier but have been busy with a house sell and relocation.

If there a EU based FChatter that would be willing to purchase and ship to the US that would be much appreciated. Certainly willing to compensate for time and trouble.

Thanks,

Brewman

13. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  14. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe

Thanks Jeff. This post is what led me to the EBay seller that is offering the 23.8 mm ATE seal kit. I was able to purchase a spare MC On EBay at a great price and plan to buy one of the seal kits once I have time to source it in the states as the EBay seller ships only to the EU. Once I do this and confirm the seals actually fit I'll rebuild the one in my 348. Thanks again for your help.

Brewman