Crystal ball time please... :-) | FerrariChat

Crystal ball time please... :-)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Slickhillsy, Aug 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Slickhillsy

Slickhillsy Karting

Aug 22, 2012
    Hey fellow 430 owners / lovers... Looking for some healthy opinion please as I find myself in somewhat of a quandary.

UK / London based - I currently own a 2009 black 430 Scuderia, fully specc'd and if I do say so myself a great example (came second in class in this years UK FOC concourse only beaten by a 599 GTO with delivery miles / plus mine picked up last min stone chips in the wind screen).

I've been a life long Ferrari fan (had 4 now) but also am like others a petrol head which by definition means a lover of cars and bikes in general. Being so I'm torn as to whether or not to sell my beloved Scud, as follows.

Scenario 1 - The Scud is a keeper. Nothing come close and it definitely has the makings of a future classic. Who knows in 15 / 20 years they 'could' be worth silly money - indeed a nice part of the retirement plan.

Scenario 2 - Life is too short. I've had my fun and we are living in an incredible period of car production. I cant afford to keep the Scud and go by something else exotic so sell it and go buy that next experience - that next experience btw is a 991 GT3 RS

Soooo torn!!!
    Do I stick and keep this amazing car, could this really be worth $XXX in 15+ years or did they make to many to become seriously coveted?

or

Do I twist, shed a tear when I see it go but look forward to that stunning new mega car butterflies. Especially as it's a 991 GT3 RS (I had a 997 GT3 and loved it). Also, the RS is the only car I would consider swapping my Scud for right now as nothing else really quite hits the spot (I know I'm picky).

So... Any points of view would be very welcome folks.

Many thanks - Mark.

2. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Is the question which will be worth more in the future? Hard to say, but my guess is that production numbers for the 991 RS will be higher than the scud. I think all the hype for these semi-limited cars, porsche and ferrari both included, is started to cool off anyway. As for the driving experience, the scud feels more special than any 911 imo. I've owned a bunch of them in all different flavors including a 997.2 RS and have driven the 991 GT3 on and off a track. GT3s are very capable cars (the 991 especially makes it very easy to push out good lap times), but on the street I don't find them exciting at all. The 997 at least had a MT going for it to keep you engaged.

3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Follow your heart.
    I don't think you can go wrong with either car.

If we worried about future values of everything, we wouldn't sell anything, and live like hoarders, and possibly miss out on some great experiences.

4. Slickhillsy

Slickhillsy Karting

Aug 22, 2012
    On the values side...

Not so much what will be worth the most. Im aware the GT3 RS in a higher volume car and would be prepared to take more of any eye off the residuals. More so could the Scud be worth big money in many years time (15+).

My father had a friend who owned a classic Ferrari in the late 90's and sold it for £100K to help prop up his business. Now the same car is 1.2 Mil! ouch! lol

If the latter I'm still smiling and willing to keep and drive what is still a stunning car. Just have a VERY big 991 GT3 RS scratch to itch...

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    You do realize that you are asking F car guys if you should sell a Ferrari and buy a P car on a F car site lol

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I've had Ferraris and Porsches.
    While the Porsche is an "everyday supercar" I wouldn't compare the feeling to a Ferrari.
    Personally I don't get the hype over the differance between a GT3 and GT3RS.

As far as future appreciation the GT3 is a modded 911.
    The Scud is a modded 430.
    Compare the production numbers and "desire" and Ferrari usually wins.

For me the choice would be 430 Scud.
    PS my 1st consideration in my buying a car is future appreciation. So far so good.
    I bought my GT2 at the very bottom of the market (or lets hope so ;) )

7. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    There is only one car I lust over with an F1, and that's the Scud. Having driven one on a track for a few laps, it was rapidly apparent to me just how much I had to have one someday.

My 360 3-pedal is a keeper, and if I had a Scud to join it in my stable, I'd never let it go.

But it's your life.... You only have your experiences to take with you to the grave. Experience what you need to feel like it's a life well lived. If it means trading the Scud for a gt3, do it!

8. Slickhillsy

Slickhillsy Karting

Aug 22, 2012
    Ahhhh so you must have not read my comment about a petrol heads view sir.

9. Slickhillsy

Slickhillsy Karting

Aug 22, 2012
    Gents thanks for the feedback.

All good points and agreed I can't stop coming back to how special the Scud is and how history may well look back at it as one of the good ones.

Plan was not to pull any triggers till next year anyways, guess the journey continues till then with some more time to think.

10. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Read and understood and I used to drive a 911 Turbo at one time.
    Still own a Porsche.
    Even though we're all petrolheads/pistonheads here there is always a slight bias towards the F car, esp one like a scud. I am included in this group.

The search/decision is as much fun as the purchase.
    So enjoy. Not a bad problem to face.

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    As a Ferrari owner I would never sell my 360 stick. Of course I paid such a low price and she has so many miles probably not worth selling anyway.. I'm very fortunate to have a Carrera 997 as a DD.

I've said many times. If there's ONLY one car that a man has. For daily driving and to the track and for living, it's a 911 turbo or GT3. . Hands down. It's the only car that a man needs for life if he can have only one car in his life.

I drive my 360 every weekend and I put quite a few miles on her every year. She's got 61,xxx miles on her as of last weekend. If I wasn't putting miles driving her, and she was sitting most of the time, I'd replace her and my Carrera with a 911 turbo or GT3. Hands down. The 911 is also easier to drive than the 360 (and 430 from what seat time I've had). If you're going to drive the GT3 MORE than the Scud, I'd get the Porsche. I don't think the F1 cars are going to appreciate that much compared to the later models. I wouldn't pay more for a Scud than I would a 458 personally.

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Forget about the value of these cars and buy what you want mate.

You only live once and you will probably regret not owning that GT3 RS.

Sell the Scud, buy the GT3 and enjoy. Never buy a car as an investment because nothing is a sure thing in life.

Wish you all the best with the decision you make and please post a pic of your 430 Scud, I would love to see it.

They are amazing machines, would love to take one for a drive one day.

13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    +1 The recent silliness with car prices has lead many of us to focus on value/appreciation rather than driving/appreciation. I am starting to hate this whole exotic thing with its "don't put miles", and "keep it pristine" so as to retain value. Its a car, drive it for the fun it brings. And, in this case, you are talking about two amazing cars. If you want to own the GT3RS, do it! The scud will bring good trade value now towards that. Both may go up in the future (someone said the scud would be lower numbers than the P-car, but I would be interested in seeing the RS production numbers from the 991 generation before reaching that conclusion). I just can't get my head around a "mass produced" car (2000+ units) being a part of a sensible retirement plan...it should be - if anything to that calculus - gravy on top of a sensible retirement plan.

14. djjvr

djjvr Karting

Aug 16, 2014
    SFO/SAC/CPH
    ^ Truth being spoken.
    OP, buy the car that brings you the most joy. I'm a firm believer in the "life is too short" mantra, and that sure you can let a car sit and build value, but that's not what they were intended for.

15. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Very personal decision and only you can make the right one, but for myself the 991RS is amazing but way too digital to get me to part with my Scud. On track the RS with nannies off is still making corrections for me, and I don't want that especially if it were my only fun car. Its not fun to me for a car to not require my having both skill and attention present while driving. But if I could only have two cars, those two do make a wonderful pair. Also no slicks for the RS?????? what is Porsche thinking...

16. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    For me..... I'd keep the Scud... But I do understand your dilemma as life is short!!

17. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Have you got the chance to drive the 991 GT3 RS yet? I don't think you can really consider replacing the Scud until you drive the RS to determine if it can hang with the Scud in terms of excitement and experience. But if you have driven it, let us know your thoughts!

I think the Scud is a keeper, you just can't beat the sound and looks of the Scud with many newer cars, 991 GT3 RS included. The more raw and less refined experience of the Scud is going away in modern exotics, another reason to keep the Scud.

18. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Yes, driven, 400 miles or so, but all under break in, (under 4500rpm). 600 more to go before she can rip. The car feels completely different from a gt3. there is a stability or plantedness that is not in the gt3. my 1st drive was on twisty mountain road, beautiful newish blacktop, lots of switchbacks, my passenger made a wow noise and i asked whats up? he said check the speedo, 95 mph in a 35 zone. i dont usually do silly stuff like that, i bring them to a track(after proper break in). The car is amazing. Turn in is read your mind good- dare i say better then the Scud. The car inspires confidence. Engine is peppier then a gt3 and has noticeably more tq. The PDK is also improved. Possibly the best dual clutch unit ive driven. I will drive this car at the Glen in mid September. It also feels special, maybe not Scud special, and it sounds awesome, maybe not Scud awesome. The OP will have a tough choice, at this time I'll stick w my previous comment, if only 2 cars both are great choices. If i could only have 1....jury is out but I think the Scud. What an wonderful problem to have.