Ferrari spec tires vs. non-spec | FerrariChat

Ferrari spec tires vs. non-spec

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by vjd3, Aug 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Am looking to replace my California's worn P-Zeros with a set of 20" Michelin Pilot Super Sports ... the "K2" ones (Ferrari specs) are difficult to get and constantly backordered, especially the rears. My dealer can't seem to get their hands on any.

Called the TireRack this morning as they had fronts but no rears, talked to a sales guy and he was really pushing the regular spec Super Sports, telling me that because Michelin developed the tire they know way more than Ferrari does about tires, and that if I wasn't super thrilled with my Pirellis it was because they were Ferrari specced etc. etc. etc., the non K2 was a superior tire, on and on.

Now, I've always gone with the Porsche designated tires on my 911s, and he belittled that, too, saying the non N-rated tires were superior.

It was kind of bizarre ... rather than just helping me out with getting on the list for the backordered rears, or at least telling me when they might come in, he ended the conversation by telling me "I can't get those for you." So, no business from me for the TireRack anymore.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on whether it's best to use the Ferrari-designated tires for the street?

2. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I can't speak for Ferrari tires, but on my BMW the OEM spec'ed Pirelli tires are junk compared to the Pirelli spec for the same model tire.

3. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016
    #3 ModificatoUK, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    depends how old the homologation for the tyre is.

In general the homologated tyre is far superior because the suspension and geometry has been engineered in tandem with the tyre. It is not typically until a generational leap in tyre tech that I would consider non-homologated. This would be my stance even for moderate performance cars.

In this case the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a leap forward in tech compared to the PZero BUT the NEW Pzero comes out in the fall that will best the Michelins.

Your choice if but if you are a driver not a cruiser go with the best.

Note: In English its tyre in Americanese I am aware its tire

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Generally Porsche-speced tires are for cars with more rearward weight bias.

5. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I cross-examined a few engineers from Pirelli, and what I was told...

They do make some changes between different specs (eg. Porsche vs. Ferrari vs. BMW); including changes to construction and compound. In their words, some are slight, some are more significant, but they treat those as "proprietary".

They continue to market as few different lines as possible for marketing/spend reasons - eg. there are many flavors of PZero, but in reality, they just sell the "brand"

Supplies of some tires (eg. Sottozero's in Ferrari spec in FF sizes) are limited - they have to supply them, but they avoid inventory like the plague - hence backorders. (IIRC, Tire Rack asked for a VIN when I bought a set directly, as they are only supposed to sell them to actual dealers or owners).

As we all know, tires matter, and the "wrong" tire can really affect the car. FWIW when I bought my 355, the prior owner had just purchased new tires, the dealer mounted them for me, and I was honestly horrified by how the car drove. Swapped them for some Michelins and it was much better. The original tires are likely good tires, but not a match for the 355. Nothing dangerous, just not a good feel.

In my case, for our street cars, I tend to stay with the spec tires, though I would love to see some actual objective test data on the "same" tire, but in "different" manufacturer specs.

BTW - very disappointed to hear about your high-pressure sales experience with Tire Rack. I've always had the opposite (i.e. a great) experience. One suggestion might be to have your dealer ask their FNA ASBM (i.e. regional parts/service manager) to poke FNA parts to get some.

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Thanks for the thoughts ... as it happens, the dealer just pinged me to say their parts guy found me a set of the K2s and they will go on tomorrow.

I was surprised, I've always had nice experiences with the TireRack in the past. I wouldn't call it high-pressure but there was definitely a "obviously I can't convince you that you're being stupid for insisting on the K spec when we have these superior ones in stock" vibe going on.

7. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Don't feel compelled to purchase to purchase "fill in the blank car manufacturer approved" tyres for your car.
    There are typically "better" choices available.

"but there was definitely a "obviously I can't convince you that you're being stupid for insisting on the K spec when we have these superior ones in stock" vibe going on"

Could have been the case, or perhaps he was just trying to say that you are not as informed as you might be.

IMO it sounds like the guy at tyre rack gave you good advice which you chose not to take.

But if you did not get a good vibe, then you were wise not to buy.

Cheers

Craig

Ps. I see no point in buying Pirelli products, there are so many other choices.

8. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    When were they made? Makes me wonder if they found some old ones lying around somewhere. After 7 years they technically should be replaced.

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    They are fresh tires, they had ordered them when they were still backordered and Michelin must have done a run recently.

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Maybe so, but who knows more about the characteristics of a particular tire on a specific Ferrari ... Ferrari or the guy who answers the phones all day at the Tire Rack?

I don't really know, which is why I asked the question, but if Ferrari specified the tread pattern and the sidewall characteristics on the tire, I would guess they had their reasons. Given the choice of both, I chose to go with the Ferrari specced tire. Your mileage, as they say, may vary : )

11. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    #11 bellwilliam, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    may be the TireRack guy shouldn't of belittle you...but he is right.

1. Ferrari might know better (actually it is because they work with the tire people) when it was designed new...in 2008 ? (couple of years before it was released). tire year is like dog year, so your "spec" tire was spec'ed 56 human years ago........tires has come a long way since.

2. Ferrari can't possibly know what you are using tires for (track or cruising). where (Death Valley or Vermont), so they have to spec a tire that's middle of the road for everyone's driving style, weather, tread life, so forth. so if you tell the Tirerack guy you want a tire for cruising only, and live in Vermont where it rains everyday, he will recommend a tire that's not for someone who lives in Death Valley and go to track every weekend.

12. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Tires are like shoes. A manufacturer of street cars is going to put a cross trainer on, to ensure you get a quality all around experience. Your driving experience may differ. You may say, "to hell with road noise" or "I would really like to get 2 more mpgs out of my car." You may want something to sprint, you may want something to go hiking in. Honestly, your use use and preferences will determine what is "the best" tire.