No Man's Sky vs. Elite Dangerous vs. Star Citizen | FerrariChat

No Man's Sky vs. Elite Dangerous vs. Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TheBigEasy, Jul 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Anyone following these games?

I've been waiting for a while for a true space open world game... even better if done with Star Wars characters/vehicles/locations and story lines.

Would be nice if any of these would come out for XBox One... but I understand the hardware would be lacking in order to do it properly.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D-TQIFqJBY[/ame]

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not a chance any of these games can function on current consoles.

A couple of friends of mine play Star Citizen (beta), one of them has bought a $350 ship...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/carrack/Carrack

The game does look fantastic, but you need a SERIOUS pc to pull this off. It's still testing of course, but a friend has just build a new computer (i5 6600K @4.5ghz), 16gb ram DDR4, 1070GTX etc etc) and only runs the game on 40ish FPS at 1440p. Obviously the frame rate will improve by the game actually releases, but it'll need a very good computer to run it regardless.

When the game comes out I'll probably end up buying it. It does sound amazing. All I need is to upgrade my graphics card (I have the same setup as my friend, only an old card, R9 280x).

I'm not convinced on No Man's sky. The concept behind it sounds cool but I think I'll be bored rather quick. I want things to shoot at etc, and apparently there's a good chance that which ever planet you go you'll be the first one ever to fly there/set foot, so the chance to see someone else fly around is slim to none, let alone a fire fight!

Never heard of Elite Dangerous, though.

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Just bought Star Citizen.

Holy **** is it beautiful! I play it on low settings and it's still one of the best looking games. Unbelievable.

4. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yea from everything I've been reading Star Citizen is really something special.... I don't have a gaming PC to run it though. It's tempting!

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The game is only in Alpha spec at the moment, so lots of stuff to come still, and massive improvements in frame rate at that likely.

Patch 2.5 coming end of the week apparently, and at 2.6 or 2.7 we can visit planets.

If you're going to build a PC for this I'd wait a few months and wait until prices drop a little on the Pascal Nvidia cards, should save a good few hundred bucks on overall build. You need at least a 1070GTX to play in high settings.

6. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes, I've been following the updates online.

For a PC, I've been looking at this bad boy: Best Gaming Desktop - Aventum 3 by Digital Storm PC

I've been wanting to build a home theater PC for gaming/movies anyway.

7. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Did you get No Man's Sky?

It's been an amusing week for that game.

8. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I don't have a PS4.... damn Sony and that exclusive deal they signed....

From what I've read about No Man's Sky, it's a great start to the perfect game... they have the foundation built but they have a lot they can build into that world. If it truly is Minecraft in space, I want to be able to build my own space station base on any planet on floating anywhere in space... and other players can team up to defend or raid a base to steal resources.... + more single player story campaign.

Star Citizen still looks better and can do the same... but it's so ambitious it could just be one of those never-ending projects that will get out-dated before it gets completed.

Also, like I said in my OP.... I wish EA with their Star Wars contract would just pay No Man's Sky or Star Citizen for a license for what they've built already... but then replace all the artwork with Star Wars locations, characters, vehicles, and story lines... getting that open world 'right' would be the best multiplayer game ever.... play as a Sith or Jedi, or a bounty hunter, or an Imperial Fleet commander, or get a crew to operate a Death Star...

9. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I'm looking forward to building a new PC to handle Star Citizen, it looks absolutely stellar! (pun intended)

Has anyone seen the Top Gear spoof?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpsjUHj_II[/ame]

-Mike in Marketing

10. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
  11. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Umm you must of missed the drama. The game is crap and averaging 60% on most review sites.

It was an indie game that got massively hyped and now there is a massive backlash.

It's not really like Minecraft.

Star Citizen is just an expensive tech demo at the moment :p

EA will never do anything like that they are too big.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sorry for late reply. That's a damn beautiful pc! Only thing I'd get rid of (at that price level) is the 2tb HDD and swap it for a 1tb SSD for storage. Much more reliable and so much faster...

That PC will play everything at ultra in 4k with ease, even the ''cheapest'' version.
    Heard the Multiplayer is even fake, lol.

Start Citizen is damn beautiful, but I agree, at it's current stage it's a demo...

13. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    It's coming along... will be incredible at some point:
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l-epO6oUHE[/ame]

14. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    With a $118+ million Kickstarter backing it had better be! :)

-Mike in Marketing

15. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    True!!

I'd think they could just hire more top developers to get this moving along much faster.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas