What to look for in a Scud when purchasing? | FerrariChat

What to look for in a Scud when purchasing?

Discussion in '360/430' started by FazTaz, Aug 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I am in the market for a Scud. Anything I should be looking out for? All the 08s I've looked at have the carbon package. As far as depreciation any significant benefits regarding an 09 purchase vs an 08 with carbon package?

Most have under 20k miles with 80+% clutch remaining and have no more than 3 prior owners. Most have the headlight haze and peeling of black paint around the hinges. Are there any major recalls or issues I should be aware of (ie similar to MKI header issues with the 430).

2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Peeling around the hinges is nothing - easily touched up - none issue - i Have a 2008 with no haze on head lights - check for discolor of CF in engine compartment - can be fixed for about $6K - I think 75 % on clutch and brakes might be more realistic

3. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Raider thanks for the tip, why so expensive for discoloration repair? Does it just need to be wet sanded and/or buffed or does a new clear coat need to be applied?

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    When I got a white haze on the two side panels down low, I sent all the carbon parts to Mc Carbon in CA - (all the parts not just the discolored ones) did not do the work myself - they refinished them all and put thermal barriers on the sides underneath - should have been done at factory - no problems since - so I had to pay for shipping and the work - unfortunately I cannot turn a wrench - but fortunately i have a new son in law who can - my daughter says she married her track support - I believe at the time it was around $5,500

5. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #5 raider1968, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
  7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    a good price ;)

8. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Look at the bottom of the rear diffuser for damage to the fins and bottom edges of the outside parts. I've bought two Scuds with the damage. Found the damage prior to the latest purchase and had the repair thrown in for free. Apparently, this is common.

I think you've hit the rest (cracked headers, hazing headlights, and dis colored carbon engine bay panels).

9. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Thanks guys for all the help. Raider beautiful car. Definitely looks like you have been enjoying it. Still waiting on pics of the engine bay =P

10. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Spdrcrj are the headers prone to cracking similar to the regular 430. From what I understand there are no precats, hence less likelihood of failing.

11. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #11 Spdrcrj, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Looks just like mine so don't need a picture - I have no heard of headers cracking on a Scud - had it happen on my 430 - was replaced under warranty

13. FazTaz

FazTaz Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Northern NJ
    Work of art. Thanks again guys for all the insightful info.

14. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Headers are not an issue on the scud. The biggest items are the engine carbon panels and the hazing of the carbon headlights.

The previous owner of my scud had the carbon panels replaced under warranty and they seem to be holding up just fine now. My car also has an aftermarket exhaust with heat blankets on the headers/cats which helps to keep engine bay heat to a minimum (the source of discoloration on the carbon).

I had a body shop open up my headlights, clean out the inside and reseal. Almost a year later, they still look like new. Much cheaper than buying a new set which will probably haze again anyway.

I've owned my scud for almost a year and so far it has been very reliable and extremely enjoyable. Good luck with your search!

15. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Koop,
    Do you know how they cleaned them out? Or could you supply the body shop name?
    thanks, John

16. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    #16 koop, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Basically they cut open the seal, polished out the inside of the lens and then resealed with some kind of silicone.

The shop I used said they'd rather not do the job again since there is risk in cracking the lens. But if you're ok with shipping out the lights to someone, these guys are probably better equipped:

05-09 Ferrari F430 — Headlight Restoration Service

17. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Mine has hazing of the lights, and they were replaced years ago under warranty. Also, the engine bay carbon was refinished ( the sides), but the hazing has started to come back. I've kind of learned to live with it. Those are the only things I've really had.

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    hazing headlights is a chronic issue, at least for the carbon version. 08s with non-carbon headlights don't have this hazing issue.

19. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Get a ppi from a reputable independent - they will know what to look for!

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    First thing to do is congratulate yourself for getting far enough along in life to be able to buy such an icon.

Then have fun looking!

21. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Agree with the PPI.

22. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John