Strange early OEM 14" 308 Wheels | FerrariChat

Strange early OEM 14" 308 Wheels

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nuvolari, Aug 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #1 Nuvolari, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A while back I was in LA and parked at the side of the road was an early carb 308 GTS. As a 308 nut of course I stopped to have a look and noticed something really strange with the wheels. It had what appeared to be original Campagnolo 14" wheels however all 4 wheels had raised writing on the spokes of one of the wheels. It almost looked like the wheel mold had a insert that should have been on the inside of the wheel and it was accidentally placed on the outside for a particular casting run.

Of course with Italian manufacturing anything is possible but I found this to be quite strange. Here are some pics of the wheel and again this was exactly the same on all 4 wheels. Has anyone else ever seen this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #2 Nuvolari, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have seen one of those once before, in all my 14" wheel collecting....

The F106A is our frame designation, of course.

My only thoughts at the time was it was intended to be concelaed as a spare.
    That's bizarre you found a car running FOUR of them on the ground!!!

I suppose the 034 is the offset.
    That's definately the specs of our "optional" 7.5"s.....

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Only on Campagnolos.........in my set the other four, are blank.

5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    So this owner collected four of them to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Your inbox is full, but I just sent a message to let you know I'm still looking for a good set of 7.5X14.

Thanks!

Jack

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yea! Looks like he got four spares and one non spare wheel for his spare. :)

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry about that...I sent a set to Hong Kong, for some QV 16"s.

I am "running low" now but will keep an eye peeled!!!

Want to rent them??
    :D :D :D

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    One can only guess...they a rare to start with, but that seems to be the case.

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Rent-to-own?

Sure. Ship 'em out!

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I find it hard to believe that Ferrari made a different wheel just for the spare nor do I believe that this particular car had 4 wheels made up of spares either. On the close up image there is a definitive border to the writing indicating a tooling insert of some kind. I wonder if it was possible that this insert was accidentally placed on the wrong side of the tool resulting in a batch of 'defective' wheels. With Italian manufacturing and QC this is most definitely a possibility resulting in these odd wheels that must have been scattered over a handful of cars.

12. Furanku

Furanku Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    Last April I saw the last known Vetroresina, 21289. It has the same type of marking, including the insert border, but it says 6.5 x 14 x 0.85 on all four wheels. The owner believed they were installed at the factory, although there is no way to prove it.

13. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What's the number on that car??

14. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    I saw a set of wheel with that kind of stamp last year for sale on eBay but with the ones from Furanku, that was the only time I saw it.
    I doubt it is a wrong side insert. Does someone have a picture from the normal inside Campagnolo insert ?

15. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    #15 RJR89, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    The one pictured has a campagnolo sticker slapped on after the fact. The inside of the reg campags wheels from memory had a year stamp and not much else. The spare was full size and was the same as the others and why would it be different. That doesnt make any sense. It also just doesnt seem to fit the stylish ways of ferrari to have a big ugly stamp like that on a wheel imo. Perhaps they were samples sent over from campag for testing and ended up as spare parts in the factory. I will also note that the mag article with lauda and enzo from 11/75 shows the commonly known campag wheels, but it was a euro car. I would guess its a repro, but with ferrari you never know.

16. dudlow

dudlow Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    Surrey UK
    I have a set of four 6.5 which definatly came off a 76' Vetro. One has the stamping on. The wheels are still in original factory paint (I think) and with the black writing on.
    They are surplus to my requirement at the moment (fitted 7.5's). I also have a spare set of four as new 16 inch wheels (repro) with excellent tyres which were off my 79' 308, although they will fit a 328 as well, if anyone is in need.

17. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Then dudlow, could you tell us or take a picture of the stamps on the inside ?
    Do you have a Campagnolo stamp like I sometime see and do you have a year stamp on both with and without the front insert ?

18. markc

markc Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    I have one of these out of 5? currently on the front right. 1980 Gtsi 31959

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That would coincide with the base wheel dimensions.

I disagree it's "a mistake"...it's a foundry, they would have simply tossed them back in the smelter, and recast them!!

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That would reconcile, with a FIVE wheel "set" in which the spare has migrated into on the ground use.

Thanks for posting into the discussion.

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sure, I can post a picture.....but it's just the simple "date stamp" matrix, nothing fancy like this....

22. Laverda82

Laverda82 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Germany
    Hi Guys,

I know the thread is old by now, but I was just looking into this topic, as I sold my 1979 Ferrari 308 GTS and kept the 7.5x14 wheels since I sold it with the 16" Superformance repros.

My 14" wheels where on the car when I bought it and have exactly the same marking on the outside. I have a full set of 5 of them. All have the same marking.

I have not done anything to sell them, but a guy saw it and wanted them, but he was hesitating because of the outer script.

Has anyone got any further info on this topic?

I can add some more pictures later, also from the inside.

23. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Since starting this thread I have come to learn the answer. Apparently in certain markets (I believe Japan is one of them) The safety homologation of the wheel needed to be visible from the outside which accounts for these strange wheels with the markings on the spokes. Further research leads me to believe that Ferrari would use some of these wheel sets as needed (probably due to available inventory at the time) and send them to cars delivered to other markets including the US. More often than not they would just use them as the spares but I have seen some cars with a full wheel set of these rims.

I think it is a cool period story but the wheels are less attractive than the standard ones and I cannot see any premium being placed on their rarity unless a high level restoration was being done on a car that would have been delivered to a market requiring these wheels.

RamsHmb likes this.
  24. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Rosey and Nuvolari like this.
  25. Laverda82

Laverda82 Rookie

Sep 29, 2010
    Germany