Using indoor car cover outside | FerrariChat

Using indoor car cover outside

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RammJaeger, Aug 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RammJaeger

RammJaeger Karting

Jul 24, 2016
    Woodstock, GA
    Hi all, new Ferrari owner here (360 Modena). I've got a question about the Ferrari indoor car cover. Is it ok to use it outside? Obviously not to leave the car outside overnight, in the rain, etc. But what about using it outside, on a sunny day, while you have the car parked at your work for instance. It would keep the sun and extra dust off of it, but would it not work well for that?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It will hold up for awhile...

Mainly they are not rated for the UV sunlight, and eventually it will shread.

I had a Body Shop guard dog get agitated and eat one of mine, once.
    Shop owner felt really bad about it.....

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What Tex said. Go to a site like Car Cover World and buy a fitted cover that protects from sun and rain.

4. RMRClub

RMRClub Rookie

Mar 7, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    I have been using my indoor car covers outside for years whenever I pull one of my Ferraris out to clear garage space for other projects. I want to minimize as much direct sunlight on my Dino's mouse hair dash and the 328's leather dash as well as keeping the cars cool. And living in the forest the car cover protects against the unforeseen bird droppings, a lot in my area. (I still have a spot on my Vette due to a direct hit, of course I didn't have the car covered that time, shame on me). Keep in mind I do not use the car covers outside if it raining, snowing, or windy. But then again, I don't pull the cars outside if its raining, snowing or windy unless I plan on driving them. My two cents.

5. V8TDF

V8TDF Rookie
    BANNED

May 2, 2014
    Stamford
    Indoor covers tend not to have particularly strong elastic nor underbody straps, so a slight gust or local thief and its gone.

You'd be best getting a custom made, or good quality outdoor cover for use at work so you have the protection from everything including UV and it also being on the car all day, rather than chasing it round the car park.

carcovershop.co.uk do a good range for Ferraris and ship to the US.