Decat F12 | FerrariChat

Decat F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by kenyon, Aug 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I am wanting to decat my new F12 and been looking at Fabspeed system. I need to ensure that the CEL light does not come on. Currently I have the valves open all the time on standard F12 system. Ferrari have said if I decat and the CEL light is on I will invalidate my Ferrari warranty which I have for six years. I know Fabspeed do extensions on the lamba sensors but do they actually work?

Any advice would be great.
    Note if put a non OEM exhaust on the F12 my warranty is invalid too.

2. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Why not 200cel cats? You'll still get good amount of volume out of them, less chance of triggering the CEL.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Decat makes the car smell terrible. As above, get 200 or even 100 cell cats. No smell issue, a lot of flow (100 cell is used in plenty motorsport).

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    What does the x-pipe do if I change that only?

5. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    This. Your car may sound great with no cats, but everyone will look at you and think, "His Ferrari must be broken" - not "Wow that's cool".

To the OP.

Never heard of a warranty being void just because of an aftermarket exhaust. Sounds like your dealer is not being honest. Cats, maybe. But a cat-back system? Never heard of such a thing.
    Have you inquired Ferrari directly about this or is it just your dealer? If the latter, consider asking another dealer.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would have a look at the Novitec 100 cell cats and their software. This should avoid any CEL problems and also give you what you are looking for. Plus you will get control of the exhaust flaps from the Manettino, should you want it.

7. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    Novitec ECU will definately void warranty, at least when your drive train will have a problem.

8. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    #8 F12KID, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    I have 200cel cats, NR ECU upgrade - no warranty issue whatsover - sounds and feels sensational

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I can confirm that! It is seriously loud.

Marcel Massini

10. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    .....and Capristo boxes with x-pipe....search on YouTube for Novitec N Largo - there is one in CZ that is de-cated and I believe the yellow one on the Novitec YouTube page is also de-cated.....you can contact Dirk at Novitec directly or if you are in UK contact Scuderia Systems......

I would not suggest using any other brand for sport or no cats setup....

11. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

😊

12. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Thank you for your interest in our exhaust components! I'd be happy to chat with you to discuss what you are looking for in terms of sound and performance and how we can prevent any situations with CEL's or warranty issues.

Is your dealer stating that they will void your warranty on ANY exhaust modifications or just the rear exhaust portion? Anyone can make a claim about products passing warranty with flying colors but ultimately it is your dealers call, and every dealer has a different opinion.

Have you considered our Sport Exhaust System? We incorporate HJS 200-cell short duration tri-metallic catalysts. They're top shelf and are engineered for / flow enough for 700hp+ and we've proven it on our Dynoet. Our ECU Tune can increase power by as much as 89whp at 8400 RPM topping out at 640 wheel horsepower. You also won't have to worry any smells or check engine lights.

We have two variants of O2 spacers - regular and sets with small catalysts in them. We have been having good results with the catted spacers on F430 and 360, but to be open we have not proven them on the F12 yet. They definitely reduce the chance of a CEL but they are not a guarantee. Our ECU Tune does eliminate any check engine lights.

13. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    have you had a warranty claim for engine or engine related component though? I'd think that they might start looking very carefully once the figures get big enough

14. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Nope - I have the original set of ECU's and cats if I ever need to have them re-fitted in case of something major - bear in mind I have only done 4'000km in 2 years (will be 5000+ after this weekend)

15. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    ...and that's how you do it.

16. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    A little curious about something. Can't they tell that the ECU has been out? I mean, doesn't the ECU log kilometers or hours? This could mean that the the odometer and car computer reads say 15000 km during 270 engine hours but the OE ECU only reads 3000 km during 55 engine hours. If that's the case, what then?

17. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    The ECU is not a storage drive - only thing it can store is a fault-code which in itself can be cleared with the use of a GoPoint or similar. It's merely the instructions to the engine as the TCU is to the transmission

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not sure what you mean by a storage drive but a basic function of an ECU operating system is to read and write non-volatile memory. This data can be accessed during initialization, normal run time, or in diagnostic or debug modes. It is all determined by the firmware load that the Tier supplier has furnished.

19. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    That does sound like a very smart approach.... Also you need to find more time for driving :)

20. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Since I'm so fortunate to drive my FF as a dd it makes driving the F12 that much more special every time 😊

Next 3 days will be interesting as I've got about 1200km of driving ahead of me 😊😊

21. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    100CELL CATS IS THE TICKET.Works great in my 458. Loud and boisterous but no CEL.

22. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

I don't even remember if the NR for the F12 are 100 or 200 - frankly, whatever it is, it's more than enough