FF reliability and daily driver duty. Whose got some mileage on theirs? | FerrariChat

FF reliability and daily driver duty. Whose got some mileage on theirs?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by SSNISTR, Jul 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Hello folks. My old man asked me to step in and ask this of you as he doesn't do the "computer thing". He he thinking about picking up a 1-3 year old FF to use as a somewhat daily driver. He is retired, but still does about 7500-10000 miles a year. Time will be spent in NY and FL. He has never owned a modern Ferrari and is surprised how reliable my 2002 360 has been (42,000 miles, only minor stuff) and wants to get into a modern F car that has some space for their friends, and weekend travels and such. He loves the shooting brake style, and mentioned the FF to me. I fully admit I don't know all that much about the FF. I did a quick search on here, found a few threads from a couple years ago. A few bad apples, but for the most part they seem to be pretty solid? Anybody in here have an FF with decent mileage on it? Are there any major issues with these cars? Any input would be great.

Thanks -

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I have no direct experience with the FF, but have been following for several months now regarding its reliability and ability as a DD. As we only buy four-seats for practicality, the FF looks way and above anything we've had before.

The warranty should still be good in most cases for his range of age on a used model, so if he talks to a dealer, and gets to try one out, I'd bet he'd love is. Seems a bit 'big' for DD but betting he'd love it: they seem rock solid for the most part compared to some Ferraris.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ff-gtc4lusso-f12/528196-ff-have-panamera-turbos.html

3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have put 40,000km and its been a bullet, headache free, plus Ferrari service kills it!

4. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Had almost 32K miles on mine. Had an airflow solenoid fail throw a check engine light. All covered under warranty.

Mine had the 7 years servicing and 4 years of warranty pack so very little running costs. Insurance wasn't too bad.

The petrol tank is a bit too small so expect a lot of visits to the pump.

5. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    That's my plan for the FF/GTC4 once I get one. I drive only 2 weekends out of the month but I will easily get 10000 miles a year.

6. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    So far so good it seems with reliability, please keep the feedback coming fellas.

7. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I've done almost 9 k miles in mine since December and a Florida to NYC trip as well

As I've posted in your other thread, I've only had a manettino failure which wound up being a throttle sensor! Car still drove fine even when that happened and would go away after a restart, which is great since it wouldn't leave you stranded.

It has become my fav car/daily ever, so much so, I'm not driving any of my other suoercars. All the thrills in an amazing comfortable package

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I clicked back just through the past few pages and all your questions are answered, at nausea. its a late model Ferrari, what do you expect of find out about? the brakes might cost 50k to swap out but I don't know anyone who has had to do it.

9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Mine's been pretty reliable. 25k mikes on it now (mine only the last 6k). Had to have the battery replaced though. Dealer did 50/50 with me. Car feels well made and I don't feel like I have to treat it too gently, as I did with the 360 and 430.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    FF likes to be treated harshly - rain, snow, dirt, bumps, it takes it all and just keeps going.

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    10k miles on a 2014. no issues.

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I printed a bunch of those threads out to show him. Thank you.

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    these things are so "cheap" that I wldnt lose a minute of sleep - use the basics to find a good clean car and enjoy the crap out of it!

14. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Yeah, he's not going to be concerned if he has to replace a battery or some little sensor. To me that doesn't make for a big deal. Now if the cars had 4WD failures, and things like that, different story. But the 4WD system seems very good...

15. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    I have done about 16k km since last August including in snow during winter, minus 15 centigrade. Lots of city driving, going up and down multi storey car parks etc. It is my only car and so far no issues apart from a few warning lights which disappear through a battery disconnect. I do cnnect a tricklecharger in the rare instances when it does not get driven for more than a week.

So far can whonleheartedly recommend it, if there is a better daily driver out there, then I have not come across it yet

16. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Allow me to introduce myself. :) And your cost $ for a four corner brake swap is not far off from correct.

After 32K miles, and five really hard driven track days, we discovered the hard way that the brake pad wear sensors weren't working as they ought. Middle of Montana on a Sunday morning is not the time or place one wants to find out one's cross country trip is on temporary hold because the brakes are done. FNA, Ferrari Roadside Service, Ferrari of Seattle, and Continental Autosport (Chicago area Ferrari dealer) saved the day/trip, and I can't say enough good things about all of them.

Otherwise, at 40K miles, the car is a treat and we can't figure out what we'd get if we decided to move on to another car. Much about the new Lusso intrigues, but isn't compelling enough to leave the FF for us. The car is no longer my track toy, so I expect I'll see 100K miles in a couple years with not much problem.

As has been said, get him to the local dealer for a test drive and the deal will be sealed. Few who have had the opportunity to take one out for a long drive decide against it.

17. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Thank you for your response. Surprised that at 32k, even with some track days that you needed brakes though. Pads, yes, of course I see that...but the carbon ceramic rotors too, that is surprising. Was it just because your wear sensors weren't working correctly, and if they were you would have caught that it needed a pad change before it ruined the rotors? Did they replace the wear sensors so it doesn't happen again?

On a side note, did you check your pads yourself after each track day? Mine need changing usually after two track days or so, and that is with upgraded pads. Still have my original rotors too. But I don't have CCB's.

Thank you -

18. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Was totally, well almost totally, my fault. I should have checked the pads/rotors after its last track day, but was rushed and didn't. The sensors didn't indicate before damage was done, and no, I don't know why. Expensive lesson, and I knew better tan to trust a system when a simple visual inspection would have saved the rotors most likely. The FF, and really all new Fcars, uses the rear brakes for stabilization and cornering assistance in hard cornering. I had it on the track three days before we left for a cross country trip, and didn't take the time to get it inspected after the track day/before we hit the road. A few days of hard driving on small country highways and that did it in. All four rotors were scored, front pads were shattered but not to metal, and rear pads were down to metal on the inside pads before the sensors sent a signal.

Note: outside pads in rear still were fine, worn, but still ok: it was the harder to visually inspect inside pads that did the real damage. Maybe sensors are only on outside pads? No idea why the sensors didn't indicate prior to damage. I don't know if its a systemic issue or a one off. Don't really care too much as I'll be far more conservative and careful about having them inspected every time before go for a long trip. There's lots of coulda shoulda, but in the end, it happened, and I won't let it happen again.

Under normal street driving (aggressive, but not track aggressive) I don't think the brakes are a weak link. Although I do question the need for CC brakes. In my opinion, they're all about bling, little about need. My first 612 had steel rotors and I never had fade or lack of braking power on the track with that car. And had I screwed up and let the pads/rotors wear, I could probably have gotten them turned if not too badly worn for only hundreds of $, or replaced for still a fraction of the CC rotors. When the next set of pads go on my track toy, I'll opt to go steel replacements for the rotors.

19. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I see, combination of the sensors not being sensitive enough (they may just tell you when you NEED brakes, not WILL need brakes lol?) and just not visually inspecting them after the track days. I'm actually surprised you got that many track days out of those pads. Bet you never let that happen again.

Best -

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what was the actual price you paid to do all 4?

21. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Cost was right around $50K, but that included new winter tires. My dealer worked out a considerably lower price to me.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    thanks eric. if solely driven on the street, how long shld the brakes last?

23. JMJ

JMJ Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey J
    And think it's fine and practical. The way the transmission is set up, and the race sport and wet mode, make it much much more suited for DD than say a 599, which feels more jerky and unstable at slow speeds. Similar conditions were present with my 06 tiptronic 911 but absent on my 10 911 and 13 911 with PDK tranny.

I'm no expert or engineer, but these are the adjectives that come to mind, I'm sure it also has something to do with the software mapping.

MY car is primarily in a summer resort environment, or in Manhattan or road trips outside the city. As one would expect, people give thumbs up on the road and take pix when parked. ISsues are limited to finding a further parking space and not wedging it in in parallel spots. I have considered getting a bumper hanging cushion for such situations, but have not yet acted.

You can accidentally go 125 on a highway with ease, the car feels slow and Rolls Roycelike at 75, so prepare to be bored but pampered on the highway. IF you like a bit of risk, get some AI priority laser "parking sensors" jammer a V1 or passport radar detector and have some fun in rural areas or racks like Monticello or LImerock. This car handles exactly like a 997 or 991 Porche quite remarkable for a front engine. Sure it feels a bit different but as a driver you compensate at times, and can ACHEIVE the overall handling of the 911, but blow the 911 of the water power wise.

Interior is great, Bentley like in workmanship, we got standard design seats, that are are designed for this car, but with full power. Daytona , Diamond or other optional seat designs can be found on a California and were not purpose designed for the F12. We also got stitched horses and special thick stitching which is great. THe high power audio is a must only 90 percent as good as the Porsche Burmeister system, whereas the standard system...is not very nice, again IMHO.

The rear cover should be ordered in Alcantara or leather, the cloth looks Hyundai cheap. Also, a set of HRE p101s , add to the handling with much much bett unsprung weight due to their alloy makeup, as compared to Ferrari OEM forged that I test drove. A power lifter is a must as well for safety.

All in all its a coupe, good trunk space, low key ride, that won't attract negative vibes. All around practical, and well suited , a true DD supercar.

TH

24. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    rotors? over 50k

25. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    In my experience, I would guess a set of pads ought to go 40K miles, and rotors at least three times that. We were easily heading for that kind of longevity before I beat the brakes up on the track that last time. I wore down a good 3-4mm of pads in one day where I think it took 30K miles previously to get that much wear (including the two prior track days). But that's just a guess. I really beat the brakes on the track the last time. It was my fourth or fifth time on that track and I was driving way more aggressively, trying to find the limits of the car. I never did find that limit: it just kept going faster and faster. Now I know it was really working those rear brakes to help me. It was incredibly amazing and fun, actually. :)