Looking for opinions. Cant decide what to do | FerrariChat

Looking for opinions. Cant decide what to do

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Carsonp, Jul 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    Its time to decide what to do with my extra curricular vehicles. I cant decide which route to take id really like to get some opinions

1 - Sell the 72 charger get a harder edge sports car (c6 z06, 04+ viper, ? ) - leaning this way. track days, date night etc.. not a bad choice really.

2 - sell the charger and get a less serious sports car/luxury cruiser (c6 grand sport vert, 997 carrera S cab, stretch the budget and a AM vantage V8 vert, jag XJR, ?) - Problem here is i cant really afford what i want Id get an 09+ vantage in a heart beat if they could be had for less than $50k with a full warranty Its just such a step above vettes, vipers, and even 911s in luxury and WOW factor

3 - Keep the charger and basically leave it alone (currently a good runner and doesn't NEED much) and get a 07-09 long wheelbase Jaguar XJ8 (super v8 maybe? portfolio would be ideal) This would be a good date night car and a good guys night out car though we do have a yukon XL too so maybe not? I've just always LOVED these cars. Much more than any other luxury car short of a Bentley or something this would be a lifer. not a performance car though

3 - dump some $ into the charger and get serious with it. big block crate motor, 4 link rear suspension, etc... problem here is it wont be worth much more than it is now with that because of the year and how undesirable they are. Even so, i couldn't go completely overboard and i wouldn't get everything exactly how i would like it due to budget ($20k maybe? I wouldn't put $30k into it thats for sure) - still wont be a track car.

4 - sell the charger and get a good classic. 55 chevy belair 2 door hardtop. Problem here is you can get a decent mostly stock (maybe a crate motor or something) one for $30kish but i wouldn't have much $ to dump into it so basically id have a classic in the same condition as my charger with no $ left to make nice. This would also be a lifer so I could over time do things to it

5 - other? don't do anything because i cant make up my mind

6 - Ruin my relationship with my wife and financial adviser and get a nice 05/06 AM Vanquish S

some recent pics of the charger
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/needcash/thumbnail_IMG_0554_zpsaz0lxtfk.jpg
    http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/needcash/thumbnail_IMG_0555_zpsrjpjrb8e.jpg

links to a couple jags XJ
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...34528080&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...12402751&Log=0

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Life is tough. My guess is you are starting out in life without a lot of money.

My advice would be keep the 72 charger like it is. In the close future it will be worth more.

The best car I have found for modest budgets is the C7 corvette. They are really world class handling and feel. I paid $50K for my very baic car yet it is one of my favorites as a drivers car n my collection. If you want to move up In order is cost

Z28
    Audi R8 V10
    BMW M car perhaps a M3

Good luck in choosing you nest ride.

Best

Lee

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Keep sleeping on it until the right choice is clear.

The only thing that is clear now is you are ready for a change and may need to sell the Charger to make it happen.

I second the recommendation of the C7 Corvette, with the modern interior, cruising ability and performance, it's probably unmatched at it's price.

4. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    Sell the charger as they will never be really collectable and get a 1 st gen viper. You will luv the car as they are so much fun to drive have stupid power and hold there value. You should be able to get a good one between 25 and 35k.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    One option could be to keep the charger and buy a cheaper car for track days/date nights..

C5, 996, Cayman, M3 etc..

6. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    #6 espvh, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If it was me, and it was, depending on how attached you are to the Charger, I would keep it. I had my 71 for a long time, every year tinkering with it until I got it to where I wanted it, all along the way saving and keeping an eye on what’s going on in the used car market. If you can, try to look for a car that has already bottomed out, money wise, this way, if you need the money you could sell it and not take a loss, and if they start to rise in value, and it’s a win win.

Remember, you should never really look at these things as investments, or you might get burned, and there usually no short cuts, but you might get lucky once in a while, and it’s usually a slow process, again you might get lucky once in a while, unless in both cases, money is not an issue.

The first gen Viper is a great car, and I think they have bottomed out, there are some good deals out there but remember, those thing have a ton of power and not a lot of safety features like airbags, anti-lock brakes or traction control, and it’s easy to lose it what you would think are situations that you wouldn’t, been there. Got lucky and didn’t hit anything, just a complete spin on a wide road. If you don’t charm it the right way, it WILL bite you.

I sold my Viper and was able to move on to my dream, a gated 360, again, when I felt the 360 market bottomed. So think of what YOU want to do, set a plan, (it probably won’t work 100%, and that’s OK), and go for it. It will take time and there will be headaches, work through them and fun along the way!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

If you keep the Charger, get rid of the black roof... they look so much better in one color.