new garage $2 1/4 million | Page 5 | FerrariChat

new garage $2 1/4 million

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by bundas, Oct 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm sorry to learn of your continuing problems. I gather you meant your new people estimate $900,000 to fix everything and that it involves undoing everything and starting fresh.

It's a very tough pill to swallow but sometimes the only realistic thing to do is to cut your losses. Whether you want to start fresh depends on whether you have the money to do so in a COMFORTABLE MANNER and whether you have other priorities in your life.

At the end of the day, there are costs to achieving anything in life. While other people may have their own views, you alone are the person to decide if the costs are worthwhile to you.

Make sure you take time out for some R&R while you clean up this mess. ;)

2. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    Mitchell, I just discovered this thread. I am an Architect in So. Cal. Our firm works only on commercial projects. From what I can see, your project was much too ambitious for your budget from the beginning. The two story glass and steel structure is something that is normally used for multi million dollar retail, office etc buildings. What I don't understand is if the design you got was something you asked your architect to design along with your budget? Is it something he / she pushed you into? Architects are famous for enjoying spending other peoples money so that they can design "monuments". PM me if you like. I may be able to give you some advice.

BTW not looking for more work. This is not a project that I would have even entertained from the beginning.

RSQP likes this.
  3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Installing the 225' x10' driveway(one side). Budget and mostly city permit issue. This week and will run into next week. Seeding next door clay with short fescue. Will grow ok. Now design. All mine no budget. Opened end. I now find out I was double billed by the arch. So to court we go. 2-5 years.

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    New driveway. Contractor did not pay the concrete company. Stiffed for $7,200. Now the important part. Garage will not be finished. All the steel30 tons will come down. $150,000 basement with tons of electronics and elevator will be filled in. Dream gone. Architect made so many mistakes that it cannot be built. My attorney met with his. He admitted to the multitude of mistakes. Now trying to settle. No court suite. I had enough. Court 2-5 years $250,000 legal fees. Told my guy to get what he can and be done

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    So sorry it came to this. I was rooting for you. Hopefully your attorney can minimize the financial damage and the architect has lots of error and omissions insurance.

6. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Wow, that sucks :(

I'm guessing the architect's E&O is involved in the settlement talks for sure.

Can't the electronics (and part of the elevator) be saved prior to filling? Sucks that you've had to go through all this just because of an unscrupulous architect.

7. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Cost. My lawyers, just to do what they call, 'discovery'. $50,000. The last meet with their lawyers, my cost just to start a settlement, $7,000. If I were the other side I would call my bluff and say, 'sue me'. As for all the electronics. Wiring $45,000. Elevator, $80,000. Safety controls for the elevator; $17,000. + more crap. Basement was designed to hold 8-9 cars. Elevator opening 19 1/2'. The architect knew that the elevator was 20'. He was involved with it and the elevator mfg. from the beginning. Cars would not come off unless I put skates on each wheel. The entire 50' width was 19 1/2'. Besides that little problem. They send a kid to the site and mark the column bases to support the first floor steel and concrete deck. Basement ceiling is 12', that they got right. The kid did not check his measurements. He did lengths but did not check diagonal. Walls not parallel. My contractor had me come look after the pour. He was so happy. He wanted to know if I wanted to check and make sure all was ok. I ask, did you. Yes was the answer. He lied. He did not want to get his boots muddy. Of course I did not find out just what a mess the site was until the steel started. Then all hell broke lose. To fix? ItThe steel company had to cut each beam to fit. An entire extra weeks work. Cranes, men etc. $25,000. Who paid. Me of course. Contractor had no money. Engineer design that sent the stupid kid would not help. At that point I fired the contractor. Sorry peice of ****. And hired the lawyers. There is a long list of f ups. Two pages just for the architect. For those that have not followed my health issues. Cancer of bone marrow. I had to leave Lexington after four years of dumb Dr's here and go to the James Center, Columbus Ohio. ten min into, after their Dr looked at the Lexington report he told me what I had, Lexington could not for four years. And what the treatment would be. I almost had the thing wipped BUT enter the Lexington Dr. He was lazy and did not look at my weekly blood work for three months. In that time the cancer figured out how to beat the Chemo. Cancer killed both kidneys. Cancer worse than two years ago when treatment started. At that point I went to Columbus and stayed for eight months one in the hospital seven a, 'assisted living'. Read, jail. At $10,000 a month. They would not take any insurance. Last week Dr found a spot on my pancreas. Tissue sample the 29th. I cannot get a break. Here I spent from 04'to 2015 and 1/2 million getting 35 cars to were they all start and no mechanical issues and will have to sell not only the cars but ever property I own to pay the med. bills. Enough for now

8. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Sorry to hear this Mitchell, sounds like a nightmare. Hope they can get on top of the health issues.

9. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Any word on Mitchell?

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hope he's doing okay.

12. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

ouch.....

13. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I believe Mitchell died a few years back. I met him at the Ferrarichat F1 Party in Austin years ago. Good guy.

G. Pepper and TexasF355F1 like this.
  14. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Damn. That is a very sad thread. I guess most of us will die with an unfinished project or two still in us.

15. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Yes I believe you are right, but Mitchell was his own worst enemy, he wasn't the innocent taken advantage of guy he made himself out to be,,, but its not nice to speak bad about the departed to I will stop.

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Hell, I'll mention it - he shot his wife 'accidentally' with a shotgun and killed her. She had filed for divorce before and said he would threaten to shoot her. He got the conviction overturned on appeal for an evidentiary mistake by the trial court.

F that guy. As someone whose family has been damaged by generations of alcoholism and domestic violence, I hope he is getting what he deserves for eternity.

https://law.justia.com/cases/kentucky/supreme-court/1990/88-sc-831-mr-1.html

17. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    YIKES…..that’s quite a story!

18. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

Woah! And not really surprising, I purchased a bunch of Maserati Indys from him in one lot, it was a nightmare, I gave him a deposit on a Merak and he sold it to the guy I sent to check it out for more money. Anyway,,,, I believe his mother outlived him, whom he was taking care of.

Texas Forever, pdxjim488 and ryalex like this.
  19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Wtf is this thread??? I’m in the proceeds of building my 4th home and reading this whole thing is giving me so much anxiety. Don’t know Mitchell and certisnly don’t want to piss on his grave but Jesus Christ- this is a train wreck.
    How do you continue to spend this much money without a plan? Our home is on a mountain side and the team has designed and built everything down to a fraction of an inch tolerance. This build process is just amazing. Unreal.

readplays, RSQP and Doug. like this.
  20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    he even had a problem buying a leather jacket at a ferrari store set up in pebble beach.

21. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Crazy thread, sad outcome regardless of how the OP was. I was curious whatever became of this, looking at the google streetview, it looks like the steel is still up. I wonder if the elevator is still there. I was expecting it to be a place out in the country, but its just in a neighborhood, on a tiny 0.36 acre lot. For anyone else reading this old thread, the news article about it can still be found on the wayback machine here. Crazy to think he was going to spend 2.25 mil in 2015 on this.

Texas Forever and DIGMAN52 like this.
  22. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Wow, I just went on a journey reading the five pages of this thread. Did NOT see that coming

Doug. likes this.
  23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  24. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Such a sad story. I still occasionally think of Mitchell.

25. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    #125 INRange, Aug 19, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    I just thought he was telling stories.....about having more money than common sense. Did not realized he killed his wife. That bumps up the crazy to insane. I don't get wanting to spend $2M on a 34 car garage in that neighborhood.

Just curious.....did the Commonwealth retry him on murder?

ryalex likes this.