Canadians (BC) visitinng WA and Oregon | FerrariChat

Canadians (BC) visitinng WA and Oregon

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by zudnic, Jul 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #1 zudnic, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Just a heads up on if you get a ticket in these states. More for Oregon because its easier to get tickets there. Lower limits on the highway. Not saying you wont pay the fine, just a warning if it doesn't get paid within the specified time period. Like you come back to Canada and plan to pay on the next trip down. The good news, BC has no reciprocity with US states, the tickets don't appear on your driving record. Only ICBC can record violations on your driving record. The bad news, both states suspend your driving privilege in their states. You can still drive in BC, they have no idea you are suspended in the U.S.

Here is the problem. If US customs lets you cross the border, you are now in international traffic. By federal law a state can only suspend for serious driving offenses (like DUI). Federal law says foreign licenses are valid in the US for up to one year. The problem both WA and Oregon know this and have US Customs deny your license validity for them.

Net if you are suspended in either state. US Customs wont let you continue driving. They haul you in. The Sheriffs office comes. They charge you with driving without a license. If you are alone. Technically they could arrest you. The other problem, unless you can get someone to pick up the car. They can impound it or have you tow it back to Canada.

Not a good scenario if you are in a nice car. My advice if unsure you left a ticket unpaid long. Go with someone else and have them drive across the border. If you get a ticket, pay before you leave the US.

2. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    Interesting... I wonder if unpaid bridge tolls are included....I would not be surprised. I got nailed $80 from Washington for a toll I didn't (should have) know existed and an invoice I did not notice in the US mail..

360 is the next 275GTB

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I'm not sure about non moving violations. They don't on parking tickets. Nice meter maid gave me multiple tickets for the same violation. City ordinance of 3 hrs. street parking, no signs. Just one entering town. Instead of one, she gave me a new one every time it was over 3hrs. I paid one and protested the rest.

Oh should point out this has happened to my brother recently. He agreed to pay the outstanding fine and they dropped the no license ticket. They've been doing this over the last year.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you don't pay your tickets, I don't have much sympathy for you. If I got a ticket in BC, I would certainly pay it. Just be thankful it doesn't increase your insurance.

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Some people think because they are a non resident they can ignore out of state or country tickets, yes. I agree with you. But sometimes you go home and leave it beyond the time it needs to be paid. They don't accept Canadian checks in the mail. Some county courts do not have online payment option, no credit cards. For many Canadians its in person at the county court it occurred. So they pay next visit to the states. Arrive at the border and its a problem.

The other if you miss the must pay date. They suspend. You pay at court. It takes time for the court to notify the DMV to lift the suspension. For administration purposes the DMV creates a state license number for non residents they don't have reciprocity with their home residence. A state can't put infractions on a Canadian license and can't suspend our actual license. Anyway, they suspend that license number. The problem on the computer it looks like a valid Washington State drivers license. A Washington State resident has to go into the DMV and pay the reinstatement fee's with the court receipt they paid. So a Washington driver notifies the DMV on behalf of the court Technically a Canadian needs to pay the fee's. So it takes awhile for the DMV to lift the suspension on Canadians because the court is very slow to notify them. waiving the fee. So even if you pay, you can have hassles.

That's what happened to my brother. He wanted to pay. Just made the payment too late.

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    If you have had a DUI in the states you most likely won't be allowed to enter Canada. It sure isn't like it was when I was a kid. Born in Buffalo NY and we used to just drive across to Canada. No big deal.

7. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Not just DUI.

8. ffeverd

ffeverd F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Have had 4 speeding tickets in WA in the past 6 years (they sure know where to hide and nail you for going 10mph over limit on I-5) and I paid all four tickets as soon as I was back in Canada. Yes these tickets won't affect your driving record in Canada, it's just speed tax. And don't even think twice about not paying the ticket and heading back to US with no problems, they will detain you at the border.
    Having your car impounded or yourself arrested is not pleasant regardless of you being in a nice car or average car.

9. Arsenal

Arsenal Rookie

Apr 10, 2011
    Can confirm not just DUI. My brother recently went to renew his license only to be denied for apparently having a suspended license in Pennsylvania 10 years ago. He wasn't a resident and didn't receieve service, therefore no suspension was served and hence its still on his record (all but four states joined an interstate pool for driving violations).

It's much better to just pay the ticket - although we are fighting it.

10. marv

marv Rookie

Apr 24, 2018
    #10 marv, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Has anyone ever got a speeding ticket in Washington and been given an additional
    Option #4 Deferred Prosecution?

If so were you told to you must mail in your BC driver abstract along with the payment?

South Bend (Police Department) court receptionist has informed me over the phone that if I want to choose option 4 I must include my BC driver abstract with a check or money order in USD.

"
    Option #4 Deferred Prosecution?
    By selecting this option this charge may not go on your driving record.
    Here is how it works:
    1. Pay the dollar amount listed on the front of your citation(original fine amount).
    2. In a years time you must not commit any new moving violations.
    3. With no new moving violations, this charge will not be reported to the Department of Licensing and will be dismissed.
    If you do commit a moving violation within a years time, this charge will be reported to the Department of licensing and will go on your driving record.
    5. This option may only be utilized once every seven years.

Signature: Date:
    "

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just curious, since it never gets back to BC (and hence to your insurance), why would you want to do this? Why not just pay the ticket?

A US driver would want to do this to avoid the insurance hit-- it doesn't save you any money otherwise. Or have Washington and BC started sharing records?

12. marv

marv Rookie

Apr 24, 2018
    Am I miss understanding something. Option 4 (1-5).

I just don't understand why they are requesting my BC driver abstract are they allowed to do this? I don't really care mine is clean. I just care about a possible link to ICBC in the future. If some how that is shared.

The 3 other options:

Option 1
    "I have enclosed a check or money order in US funds. I understand this will go on my driving record if "Traffic " is checked."
    (Washington record)

Option 2
    "Mitigation Hearing
    I agree I have comitted the infractions but I want a hearing to explain the circumstances. Please send me a court date, and I promise to appear on that date. ...I understand this will go on my driving record if "Traffic " is checked." (Washington record)

Option 3
    "Contested Hearing
    I want to contest (challenge) this infraction. I did not commit the infraction. Please send me a court date, and I promise to appear on that date. I know I can require (subpoena) witnesses, including the officer who wrote the ticket to attend the hearing. The court will tell me how to request a witness's including the officer who wrote the ticket to attend the hearing. The court will tell me to request a witnesses appearance. I understand this will go on my driving recorded if I lose and the "traffic" is checked." (Washington record)

Option 4 seems like the only option someone would take if given especially if a foreigner. I don't see why you would select 1 of the other options? Am I missing something?

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    As a foreigner, what does option 4 give you that option 1 (sending them a check) does not? As I read it, you still need to pay the full amount of the ticket either way. Option 4 is just a way to not have it go on your record, but I can't imagine why you would care, since it doesn't go on your BC record anyway.

14. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Option four is a waste of time for a BC resident because WA tickets don't go onto our driving record in BC. ICBC isn't notified about WA infractions.

15. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    One should be VERY Cautious when approaching South Bend. This is a classic "speed trap" town. I was there racing hydroplanes one weekend and we were camped beside the Hwy. We witnessed the local police stop almost every third vehicle as the speed limit drops sharply just outside of town! BEWARE !