Petrolicious\GTO Engineering 250 | FerrariChat

Petrolicious\GTO Engineering 250

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by simsko, Jul 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
  2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    A replica I gather ...

Needs to be moved to the appropriate sub-forum IMO.
    Pete

3. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Thanks.

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Nice article with photos though.

:)

5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Ok it's a replica SWB Berlinetta from scratch reproduction/replica.For the case of posterity it would be nice to know the VIN/SN of the original chassis. Or was the chassis created from scratch as was the engine.I am sure there are some numbers somewhere so it would be nice to have these so that the car can be identified and a record kept of its existence. tonga's crew

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I have seen this car, and it's pretty nice. Just a question: It appears to emulate the early style body, but has sliding windows. I wonder if there ever was such a creature? Even my ex-'61 Comp had (plastic) roll-up windows. Picky, picky.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's just a replica, although for some strange reason it reads like they created a brand new engine.
    Honestly, got love how they dodge around the issue ...

Bet we will never see pictures of the barn find either ... one mans wrecked is another mans life long dream find.
    Pete

8. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Replica or not it is beautiful and the colour, dark blue, looks very good on it. I am sure Ted didn't mind that it was a replica. With the price of original cars going through the roof this is probably his only chance to drive one. GTO does make brand new engines. Check their website. Have a 4l 250 GTO motor for sale. All scratch built

OneD likes this.
  9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Cool story and beautiful car :)

10. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McKeown
    Why put the badges on it or anything Ferrari for that matter? All of that work and new materials, let it have it's tribute shape but set it apart...

Gorgeous though and undoubtedly of high quality.

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    It is neither a 60 nor 61

12. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    It sounds like they bought a 250gt VIN from a car that had been parted out or otherwise gone and they used that to create an entirely new car around?

Are those genuine Ferrari heads on the motors they build or do they make replicas of those heads, as I assume if Ferrari wanted to they could stop that from happening.

Overall though, what a beautiful piece of work. As much as a SWB is one of my favorite cars, I doubt I could go replica when I could buy another 12 cylinder from the same period.

13. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The engineering that goes into such examples is superb, and I am in no way a zealot about their existence, in fact I applaud them when done well.

However they should not reference it in the article as if it is an original, they should be loud and proud as to what has been built and call it a homage, recreation etc from the inset but they are purposely vague about the origins of the donor, which does the example shown a dis service.

14. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Excuse my ignorance here, folks. When I first came across these recreations, I was under the impression that the chassis underneath was fundamentally (i.e. mostly) an original Ferrari chassis. However, I have since read an article on the Wall Street Journal that includes this paragraph:

"While Mr. Lyon competes directly with the factory's Classiche division, the two organizations cooperate on a number of fronts. For instance, for every whole-car build, GTO’s client must provide them a serial number of a retired Ferrari, one beyond repair. Mr. Lyon actually buys the Ferrari badges and escutcheons from the factory."

So what is actually happening here? Is the 'identity' (i.e. something intangible - not the chassis itself) being transferred to a wholly new vehicle and then assuming some kind of provenance by proxy? If so, isn't this a bit crazy? Something built in 2016 has the 'identity' of a 1960 Ferrari, but absolutely no parts whatsoever from it?

Hoping someone with first-hand knowledge can fill the gaps here. I did just ask someone on Twitter who works closely with the company, but was told to 'Get a life' and then blocked.

-Ed

15. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    UPDATE: Individual who works with the company states that he has confirmed with GTO Engineering that they only rebody the original chassis...

Posted here without comment.

-Ed

16. OneD

OneD Karting

Mar 18, 2012
    Is there any chance anyone can provide me with the colour code of this beautiful dark blue ? Thanks a lot.
    I wrote a mail to GTO Engineering but couldn't get a reply...

17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Carfection ....... (link in post #1 does not work - I believe Petrolicious and Carfection are no more :()

18. Terry groves

Terry groves Karting

Oct 21, 2014
    Suffolk
    Full Name:
    Terry Groves
    Did a bit of searching on Petrolicious the owner sold it after he got a really bad rep for putting some derogatory posts on social media. Looks like the new owner has done nothing with it.

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Derogatory but correct